Mirena IUD

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi guys, I’m wondering if people can tell me their experiences of these?
It’s been recommended to me as my periods have gotten so painful that they have been unbearable and really taking over my life each month.
How have you found it?
Have you had any negative side effects?
If anyone has experience of this whilst also struggling with MH, did it impact your MH negatively?

Also, the actual insertion part - any advice?
I’ve not even had a smear because I’ve suffered some trauma in my past and I’ve been worried about triggering it and spiralling. I’m thinking I may take some promethazine to try and take the edge off my anxiety.

Thank you in advance.

I’m sorry I just realise I posted in the wrong part of the forum! If this can be moved to the advice part, that would be great! 😩

Reactions: 1
Hello! I’ve had 2 mirenas over the years and they were a godsend. I’ve had painful, heavy and irregular periods since I started having a period and went through trying different contraceptive pills which affected my MH. Once I had the mirena I would have slight spotting at random points in the month but nothing a liner couldn’t handle! The pain I used to get with a period had gone away too, very rarely did I have any cramping. I’ve not had any problems with my MH so can’t comment on the affect it had.
Take some pain killers before insertion, it was quite uncomfortable like really bad cramps - my cervix ended up going into spasm when I had my second one fitted so they had to take it out and insert a new one 🙃🙃 but the cramps lasted a few hours then was fine! If you are worried about it triggering you then please please tell them before hand as they may be able to give you some sedation to make things better. I work in healthcare and a patient of mine had hers inserted by local anaesthetic so this could be an option for you too?
I know peoples experience varies but mine was very positive and I have no regrets. My periods came back very quickly when I had it removed and from a hormonal perspective, mirena tends to be the best because it stops you from bleeding but doesn’t stop you from ovulating which means all your hormones are still working as they should unlike other pills/coils where it messes with your hormones. I’d reccomend looking into Lara Briden and her book the period repair manual! Sorry for the long response

Hello! I’ve had 2 mirenas over the years and they were a godsend. I’ve had painful, heavy and irregular periods since I started having a period and went through trying different contraceptive pills which affected my MH. Once I had the mirena I would have slight spotting at random points in the month but nothing a liner couldn’t handle! The pain I used to get with a period had gone away too, very rarely did I have any cramping. I’ve not had any problems with my MH so can’t comment on the affect it had.
Take some pain killers before insertion, it was quite uncomfortable like really bad cramps - my cervix ended up going into spasm when I had my second one fitted so they had to take it out and insert a new one 🙃🙃 but the cramps lasted a few hours then was fine! If you are worried about it triggering you then please please tell them before hand as they may be able to give you some sedation to make things better. I work in healthcare and a patient of mine had hers inserted by local anaesthetic so this could be an option for you too?
I know peoples experience varies but mine was very positive and I have no regrets. My periods came back very quickly when I had it removed and from a hormonal perspective, mirena tends to be the best because it stops you from bleeding but doesn’t stop you from ovulating which means all your hormones are still working as they should unlike other pills/coils where it messes with your hormones. I’d reccomend looking into Lara Briden and her book the period repair manual! Sorry for the long response
Thank you for this! Once I speak to the nurse who is going to call to arrange it I will ask her about sedation for it, just to try and help the PTSD. I think ultimately it will be the best thing for me as I really struggle physically and mentally each month. You’ve helped put my mind at ease, so thank you. Xx

• Heart
I’ve had the coil for about 3 years now and I regret not having it sooner to be honest!

I had very heavy periods (was even prescribed tranexamic acid to help) and when I needed contraception, decided to go for an implant which I regretted straightaway as I pretty much bleed/spotted for 6 months. We tried adding a mini pill, but I was miserable (literally crying multiple time a day, wanting to quit my job and move country, thinking my boyfriend didn’t love me. I was just so sad!) so I stopped after a couple of weeks. I’ve had the coil since and I would have another one put it in a heartbeat.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any side effect. In terms of period, I will have some minor spotting that last about a day every month or two, sometimes a cramp to remind me that I have a uterus but it’s not even bad enough for me to take any pain.

Having it fitted was the worst part. I’m not going to lie, I found it really painful, it definitely took my breath away. Full disclosure, the coil didn’t open properly when the GP put it in so she had to go get another kit. But even with that little mishap, the whole procedure lasted 5 minutes maybe? I didn’t have any cramps or pain after either. To me, what the coil has done for me is worth the uncomfortable insertion.

About your trauma, I would definitely recommend that you mention it to the nurse as it will change the way they proceed. I didn’t disclose anything and the GP that took care of me was really kind, asked me whether she could start and told me that we could stop at any point if I was uncomfortable, asked me if I was ok multiple times during the procedure, told me to take my time after it was done so I felt at ease despite what is mentioned in the trigger warning, but I would definitely tell them if I were you. I think I will the next time I have one fitted. I don’t know whether it would help you, but you can ask to bring a support person in too.
Now I have to be very honest and I’m sorry for being graphic or if it triggers anyone but I was raped as a teen and parts of the procedure definitely reminded me of the pain I experienced losing my virginity that way, simply because you actually feel a foreign object quite deep inside you. I don’t have any issues with smear tests because I don’t find them painful at all, but I did think of my rape during the insertion of the IUD.

What I did that helped me, was watched videos/animations of the procedure on YouTube to familiarise myself with what was going to happen. It gave me some control as I knew what was going on rather than feel passive about the whole thing if that makes sense? Happy to answer any questions you might have xx

I’ve had the coil for about 3 years now and I regret not having it sooner to be honest!

I had very heavy periods (was even prescribed tranexamic acid to help) and when I needed contraception, decided to go for an implant which I regretted straightaway as I pretty much bleed/spotted for 6 months. We tried adding a mini pill, but I was miserable (literally crying multiple time a day, wanting to quit my job and move country, thinking my boyfriend didn’t love me. I was just so sad!) so I stopped after a couple of weeks. I’ve had the coil since and I would have another one put it in a heartbeat.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any side effect. In terms of period, I will have some minor spotting that last about a day every month or two, sometimes a cramp to remind me that I have a uterus but it’s not even bad enough for me to take any pain.

Having it fitted was the worst part. I’m not going to lie, I found it really painful, it definitely took my breath away. Full disclosure, the coil didn’t open properly when the GP put it in so she had to go get another kit. But even with that little mishap, the whole procedure lasted 5 minutes maybe? I didn’t have any cramps or pain after either. To me, what the coil has done for me is worth the uncomfortable insertion.

About your trauma, I would definitely recommend that you mention it to the nurse as it will change the way they proceed. I didn’t disclose anything and the GP that took care of me was really kind, asked me whether she could start and told me that we could stop at any point if I was uncomfortable, asked me if I was ok multiple times during the procedure, told me to take my time after it was done so I felt at ease despite what is mentioned in the trigger warning, but I would definitely tell them if I were you. I think I will the next time I have one fitted. I don’t know whether it would help you, but you can ask to bring a support person in too.
Now I have to be very honest and I’m sorry for being graphic or if it triggers anyone but I was raped as a teen and parts of the procedure definitely reminded me of the pain I experienced losing my virginity that way, simply because you actually feel a foreign object quite deep inside you. I don’t have any issues with smear tests because I don’t find them painful at all, but I did think of my rape during the insertion of the IUD.

What I did that helped me, was watched videos/animations of the procedure on YouTube to familiarise myself with what was going to happen. It gave me some control as I knew what was going on rather than feel passive about the whole thing if that makes sense? Happy to answer any questions you might have xx
Thank you so much for this. I will definitely speak to the nurse about it and try to use grounding techniques to help stop me from going to that place. I will also take a look at some videos so I know what to expect. Thank you xx

• Heart
I had a Mirena coil fitted last year to help with my endometriosis symptoms. I’ve suffered with the endo pain for years, and had been recommended the coil but I kept freaking out at the thought of it and putting it off! Once I finally had a laparoscopy operation to diagnose the endo and remove growth adhesions, I agreed to the coil as a longer term pain treatment. Prior to that, I used to take the combined pill back to back for hormone control (didn’t help!) and was utterly miserable - really depressed and fed up, constant bleeding, still in agony almost all the time.
Despite my fears, the Mirena has been brilliant - I only get minimal spotting now, not even every month, and although I do get some pain it’s definitely better than it was. The insertion was ok, uncomfortable but very quick. I’d built it up in my head to be much worse than it was. I can’t lie, I had a bit of a meltdown that evening at the thought of having a plastic thing in my cervix, and also the strings moved a bit and were uncomfortable, along with some cramping. But I went back to my GP the next morning and she examined me and reassured me that all was ok!
Anyway sorry for the essay 🤣 but yes in short, I would recommend a coil!

Thank you so much for this. I will definitely speak to the nurse about it and try to use grounding techniques to help stop me from going to that place. I will also take a look at some videos so I know what to expect. Thank you xx
Let us know how you get on! xx