Minimilasm

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm really trying this year to be more minimilistic, I am such a shopping addict and make about 5 ASOS orders a month (that next day delivery is a curse) I have recently found Madeleine Olivia on Youtube and found her videos really helpful, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how not to get persuaded into doing an online shop or how to declutter etc. I'm moving house at the end of this year and want to get into good habits before I move so I'm not buying excessive furniture or using up every single wardrobe just because I can! Thanks.

Reactions: 1
Take small steps....challenge yourself to go a week without buying anything (except essentials then two etc etc! The feeling of accomplishment is a great feeling.

if I felt the need to shop I used to put that amount of money into a separate account and do that every single time I felt the urge, and after a few weeks I would have a visual representation of the money I would have spent....that was a big eye opener!

Reactions: 1
Love the second point, I'm really going to try and do that. I can imagine it's a very rewarding feeling seeing that figure and knowing you could have thrown that as some clothes you didn't need etc.

I need to delete apps so it's not as easily accessible, I find myself scrolling on there in the evening whilst watching tv or something and buying things I definitely don't have a need for. It's disgusting how much crap I have! Going to have a clear out and post things on Ebay and donate. I'm also a hoarder which I need to work on, really struggle to get rid of clothes🤦‍♀️

I have so much empathy for this, it’s something I’ve been going through the past few years.

As well as what’s been said already (eg deleting apps, unsubscribing from emails), a few things that have really helped me:

1. switching from a minimalist mindset (which for me creates pressure/guilt) to a low buy mindset. So maybe you have an allowance (monetary amount or number of items you can add to your wardrobe per month for example) - I found it very freeing. The YouTube channel Style Apotheca has some good videos on this - sort by most popular.
2. Be mindful when getting rid of stuff. So properly think through why that purchase didn’t work out and ruminate on it a bit. Was it because it was the January sales so you felt you should buy something? Was it because it was payday? Were you having a bad day? Because you saw it on an influencer but one with a totally different body to you? Recognising the ‘why’ will help you when you are next in that position.
3. Switch to social media channels that encourage a more thoughtful way of shopping. Audrey Coyne is brilliant. Use Less is good too. Depends on your style.
4. Try to find a behaviour you can switch to instead of online shopping/browsing that still scratches the itch... maybe browsing Pinterest so it’s still clothes but more curating looks/styles rather than items to buy?

Ask yourself do you really need this new item? Will it have a purpose? Do you already own something similiar? I lived in 3 different houses in 3 years whilst at uni and having to keep moving all this "stuff" was so annoying. Less stuff = less stress.

Thinking about WHY you make 5 Asos orders a month would be a good start

Is it because you are unfulfilled? Maybe you could think of doing something else rather than browsing Asos. Find a new hobby, a side hustle, read. Even go on a gossip forum! Anything that is productive or at least free

Are you generally buying the same type of things? I used to do this a lot. If you are, keep in mind what you already have (this will be easier once you’ve decluttered) and question whether you really need another pair of red heels or a black leather handbag when you already have similar items. If you’re buying lots of different items, you might need to refine your personal style. Browse Instagram/Pinterest/YouTube etc, find what you like most and stick to that style. Make a inspiration board if that helps

Are you shopping so much because you want to be very fashionable? If so, is this for you or for others? If it’s to impress others, you need to rethink either the values of the people you surround yourself with and whether this is something you really want in your life. Maybe it’s your perception - does anyone care that much about how others dress? If it’s genuinely a hobby of yours, again you might want to refine your personal style. Fashion can be fun but it doesn’t need to be so wasteful. A Small Wardrobe on YouTube is a stylish lady with (you guessed it) a small wardrobe, she chooses more expensive pieces that last a long time and is creative with how she mixes them up. If you think about style icons, they usually sported the same look for years

Once you’ve figured out why you shop so much it’ll be easier to work out how to stop. You could also make a plan for the money you’ll save - maybe a holiday? A new hobby? House deposit? Wedding? ANYTHING that’ll encourage you to save regardless of whether it’s likely to happen any time soon or not

As for decluttering, I suggest watching a load of YouTube videos for inspiration, particularly the ones with names like “50 things to declutter now”. People say Konmari isn’t minimalism but that might inspire you too, especially in terms of organising. Your new home is going to be a new start so don’t fill it to the brim with stuff. Maybe thinking about what you actually use and decluttering the rest will help. Think about how much easier life will be if you don’t have to sift through so much stuff in order to get to what you need. I’m still working to my way towards minimalism but I find YouTube videos really help, sometimes all I need is a small pep talk to inspire me again

Reactions: 3