Migraine Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone.

I'm just starting on Topiramate this week for migraines (have suffered since the age of 10, I'm 42 now). I was wondering what your experiences are when drinking alcohol on them?
I don't drink during the week, but like to have a social drink one night at the weekend. I'm wondering how the drug affects you when drinking.

Thanks in advance

I was on Topiramate for 3 months. I saw significant improvement but the side effects outweighed the benefit for me. I did drink on it, funnily enough I lost the ability to taste fizzy beverages. I’d drink a light beer and it would taste sweet. I didn’t feel any type of buzz when I drank and got sleepy so didn’t bother.

(Not related to drinking on it but as a side note- I would monitor how you feel mentally on it the first 3-4 weeks before drinking. I know for some it’s a life changer but i do want to raise caution to some of the cognitive and mental side effects listed on the pamphlet - for me they were serious and I’ve read similar on other migraine forums. That said, ive also heard of many success stories on it. Just one of last ones I’d mess with in terms of drinking of on as migraine preventatives go, it makes sense. I hope it works for you and if not, there’s so many options out there xx

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have been om it for a few weeks now, and have just got to 100 a day. Drinking wise it has been OK, but it's the fizzy (alcohol or not) that's playing havoc with my insides! I'm eating Indigestion tablets like sweets. I'm assuming that is a side affect? Also, tingling hands feet and face.
So far it's been great for my migraine. But I have lost words a few times.
Are there any other side affects you have had that I can look out for?
My doc wants me to go up to 200 a day!

I remember the tingling of hands and feet now that you say it. When I went up to 100, I started feeling odd. Just like off or disconnected socially. I’d lose words at first - in example, I could not think of the word green one day to save my life but was able to just say “like the color of the Forrest“. it’s bizarre. it got the stage where I wasn’t able to speak with clients in work because I couldn’t think of what to say at times. I also got mental health side effects and issues with my vision. I’m glad you were able to find relief from it. I know a few on it with no side effects or just side effects when they titrated up to 100 for a few weeks. then there’s others like me who got alllll the side effects. hoping it keeps working for you

Reactions: 1
I forgot my phone number the other day, its been the same for 22 years