Mercury Prize 2021

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The 2021 Hyundai Mercury Prize ‘Albums of the Year’ are:

Arlo Parks ‘Collapsed in Sunbeams‘
BERWYN ‘DEMOTAPE/VEGA‘
Black Country, New Road ‘For the First Time‘
Celeste ‘Not Your Muse‘
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra ‘Promises‘
Ghetts ‘Conflict of Interest‘
Hannah Peel ‘Fir Wave‘
Laura Mvula ‘Pink Noise‘
Mogwai ‘As the Love Continues‘
Nubya Garcia ‘SOURCE‘
SAULT ‘Untitled (Rise)‘
Wolf Alice ‘Blue Weekend‘

I must admit I haven't listened to them all yet but I'd love to see Wolf Alice, Ghetts or Arlo Parks win.

Blue Weekend is my favourite album released this year and by far Wolf Alice's best work, so it'd be great to see them join PJ Harvey as two time winners.

However, I appreciate the Mercury is good at celebrating those that wouldn't normally get commercial exposure, so Wolf Alice's previous win and Arlo's win at the Brits makes me think a lesser known act would be more deserving, or would benefit more at least.

As for albums that I think were snubbed, Fontaines D.C. 'A Hero's Death' is all I can think of at the moment...

Would love to hear other people's thoughts!

In the 90s I would have been familiar with almost all the nominations but I have to say I've not listened to any of these and haven't even heard of most of these acts! I've like some of Celeste's songs so may give that a spin, and I have liked a few Wolf Alice songs in the past so am interested to check that out too. But generally I'm okay with not really being clued up on new bands these days - music has to move on and I'm happy with my old faves from the 90s.

Same as @PollyPerks, I'm well out of touch these days ☹ I've only really heard of Mogwai and Wolf Alice. It threw up some good winners back in the day though, Suede, Pulp, PJ Harvey etc. Though M People winning was a curveball 😂

Reactions: 1