Menstrual Cup v Reuseable Sanitary Pads

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been researching the benefits of switching to these products- I think I'd try the sanitary towels before the cup. I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations as choosing a brand is a bit of a minefield!

I use menstrual cup (moon cup) and have done for around 5 months and think they are great. Saves on buying tampons and has stopped leaks - I have very heavy periods and was leaking through using pads only or tampons. I don’t feel it when I’m using it. The only negative is pulling it out sometimes as I haven’t squeezed the end properly and it’s like a suction if you don’t. If you want to know anything else just ask.
mum thinking of buying period pants to wear as well.

Reactions: 2
I’ve been using a mooncup for two years now and it’s brilliant. Takes a while to get the hang of it but I don't dread periods half as much as I did!

Reactions: 3
I use menstrual cup (moon cup) and have done for around 5 months and think they are great. Saves on buying tampons and has stopped leaks - I have very heavy periods and was leaking through using pads only or tampons. I don’t feel it when I’m using it. The only negative is pulling it out sometimes as I haven’t squeezed the end properly and it’s like a suction if you don’t. If you want to know anything else just ask.
mum thinking of buying period pants to wear as well.
Thanks for your reply- is it messy to change when your not at home?

I’ve been using a mooncup for two years now and it’s brilliant. Takes a while to get the hang of it but I don't dread periods half as much as I did!
Thanks for your reply- how is it changing it when your not at home? I'm worried to make a mess!

I use "period pants" and have done for ages. They are great and I no longer dread periods or worry about my bed looking like a murder scene in the morning (sorry TMI).

I dont use any other products now, just have the pants and they work so well I can pretty much forget about my period, whereas before I would always be worrying.

Reactions: 5

Thanks for your reply- how is it changing it when your not at home? I'm worried to make a mess!
It can be quite messy depending how heavy I am. The mooncup holds quite a lot though and doesn’t need changing as regularly as other methods so I usually manage to plan around being out. I’ve heard that women have a bottle of water in their bag specifically to wash the cup out in the toilet if there’s no sink in the cubicle.

I use "period pants" and have done for ages. They are great and I no longer dread periods or worry about my bed looking like a murder scene in the morning (sorry TMI).

I dont use any other products now, just have the pants and they work so well I can pretty much forget about my period, whereas before I would always be worrying.
I wish I knew about period pants when I was younger. I’ve been using them since last year and find they’ve made my period much more manageable. And they’re way more comfortable than pads, especially overnight or travelling.

I couldn't get on with a cup, tried for about 5 months and my nurse actually advised me to stop because I was constantly having thrush & issues using them. I tried 4 different brands. I definitely recommend trying but I wouldn't be pressured into sticking it out. I was by "support groups" online and my vulva was just as miserable as me. Can't comment on pads.

There's a site called put a cup in it quiz or something or helps you figure out what you need & alternative brands

The period pants sounded too good to be true when they first came out, but is really interesting to hear such glowing reviews from people, im really intrigued to try them. But I still don’t get what it’s really like to wear them on your period...they really just soak up everything? There’s no discomfort - I mean wetness (excuse the TMI but this is a period thread after all ) like there is if you leak ? Or smell ?

Any brand recommendations?

I use a Dutches cup, been using it for two years and definitely would recommend, even on my heaviest days I’ve never leaked and you can leave it in a lot longer than tampons,

The period pants sounded too good to be true when they first came out, but is really interesting to hear such glowing reviews from people, im really intrigued to try them. But I still don’t get what it’s really like to wear them on your period...they really just soak up everything? There’s no discomfort - I mean wetness (excuse the TMI but this is a period thread after all ) like there is if you leak ? Or smell ?

It’s the same feeling as wearing a pad, so most of it’s absorbed but like a pad sometimes you have to wipe ‘bits’ off when you go to the loo (isn’t being a woman great? 🙈🤢). I find them so much more comfortable than a pad and I don’t worry about leaks anymore like I did with pads.

No smell at all - just take them off and stick them on a rinse cycle in the machine or put them in a wet bag until you get home and can get them in the wash.

I’ve got Thinx and Modibodi - I personally prefer Modibodi a lot more. I have 2 pairs of Thinx that I wear on the last day or two.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm definitely going to try the cloth pads and maybe the period pants. I think I need to think about the cups a bit more, considering existing girl stuff!

I use Modibundi. No smell and no wetness. I have always used pads before and so the wetness feeling used to drive me nuts. They soak up everything, and they dont leak over night either. I literally forget I am on my period. Which I never did before because I sit on a white chair at work so would always sling my coat over my chair to sit on that!

I use both reusable pads and period underwear, sometimes in combination - put on the underwear with a pad on in the morning, half way through the day take the pad out and have the underwear on its own.

I have Modibodi and one Cheeky Wipes pair, but I found that the Cheeky Wipes ones smelled a bit, while I just can't fault Modibodi at all, I've ordered some more pairs of their underwear and I want to get one of their swimwear bikini bottoms as well for if I ever get my period on holiday.

Reactions: 1
I’ve used a mooncup for 15 years now, plus I also use ModiBodi period pants.

My 18 year old daughter wears ModiBodi period pants and uses WearEmOut period pads.

We both experienced discomfort and allergic reactions to disposable sanitary towels and it was, literally, a huge relief to find the pants and pads after considerable research. They’re extremely comfortable, easy to launder and well worth the investment.

I use a cup - I got it off eBay for about a fiver ( new, obv! 😂)

I would highly reccomend giving it a go!

I use a femmecup. They always do them for a reduced price on International Women's Day so I renew then. It's completely changed my period and made me much more aware of changes in my body and flow.
I am definitely interested in the period pants for when I'm extremely heavy. Have seen some great reviews but have been misled before 😂

It’s not too bad But I do prefer changing at home. When not at home, I tip put into the toilet and put back in then wipes my hands with the toilet paper.