Make-up help

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@mcfeez (hope I’m doing this right, not replied directly to someone before)

I‘ve been wanting to try the BM complexion rescue - would you mind sharing what you apply it with? Fingers? Brush? Thank you.
I apply with fingers just and then use a blender sponge to finish, make sure there are no lines etc.

Reactions: 1
The best foundation I’ve ever used is Estée Lauder Doublewear. I tried L’Oreal Infallible Freshwear as a cheapie daytime foundation, which is also supposed to be a dupe but Estee’s foundation is by far superior.

I don’t use primer, I prefer using sun cream and moisturiser and I find it tends to make the foundation last, not that Doublewear is going anywhere when it’s on your face 😂

Nor do I use concealer, the foundation covers literally any blemish/dark circle

I use Dior Hypnose for mascara. I’ve tried nearly every single mascara out there, and this one is best. I’d say it better than Benefit mascara which I’m a fan of.
Dont put double wear over dry skin or eczema 🙈🙉 I love it but it wont be suitable for that type of skin

Dont put double wear over dry skin or eczema 🙈🙉 I love it but it wont be suitable for that type of skin
Yes original OP, @Walnutss is right. I forgot to add this to the bottom of my post, definitely not suitable for dry skin
This is more for ladies who have other skin types.

I just love DW so much so can’t resist talking about it 😂

What sort of price range are you looking for?
Happy to pay anything for good products

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have decided to go back to Benefit they're real mascara as I used this years ago and I quite liked it, I have been using the Loreal Paradise mascara the last few months and haven't been keen on it.

Still searching for a foundation, a few people mentioned Estee Lauder doublewear, I used this years ago and hated it on my skin.

For the primer I'm going to try Smashbox as a lot of people seem to recommend them.

Im going to follow this thread as I have a lot of what you mention! Would also like some recommendations on good products. A lot of what I have bought in the past just sits on my skin and goes patchy.

Id definitely recommend following Robert Welsh on YouTube - he has some great tips on how to apply / recommends products etc.

Some of the products I currently use are (not saying all these are good options but the ones that work best on my skin at the moment anyway!)

Foundation - I really like It cosmetics CC cream, it works well on my skin and covers up redness. I also have Lancome Teint Idole and that foundation is lovely on, doesnt cling to dry areas and cover pores quite nicely.

Concealer - I would like recommendations on this as well - I use shape tape by tarte at the moment but im not sure I agree with all the hype! Have the cheaper Revolution one as well and that works just the same.

Mascara - I use milk makeup Kush mascara (its quite thick so I wipe it with a tissue before putting it on) and it's lovely especially on my rubbish lashes. Benefit Bad Gal Bang also works really well

Primer - I saw a tip to use eyeshadow primer on your nose (my pores are large there) and it really does work (I use urban decays on there) - a silicone based primer like benefit is good for dry areas. Milk Hydro Grip is another one (on cult beauty)

I also use Bobbi Browns one which is pricy but lovely on my skin. Not sure if any good as a primer but does help with some dry patches!
too faced born this way concealer is levels above shape tape (IMO)! I was a hard shape tape fan til I tried the too faced one!!!

If you have an issue with big pores - Clarins 'Instant Poreless' is the best thing I've ever used and it's only about 20 quid. Has totally transformed how my foundation etc sits/lasts on my face, it's brilliant.

Reactions: 2
If anyone is after a new concealer I would highly highly recommend the Essence camouflage concealer. It’s £2.30!!! It’s full coverage and honestly I wouldn’t buy anything else now. Essence make up is in Wilkinson’s they have some great lipsticks too

Reactions: 3
If anyone is after a new concealer I would highly highly recommend the Essence camouflage concealer. It’s £2.30!!! It’s full coverage and honestly I wouldn’t buy anything else now. Essence make up is in Wilkinson’s they have some great lipsticks too
Just to throw in some more budget options...

Essence mascaras are amazing. Less than £3. The black and green and black and purple ones. I’ve worked in make-up and love make-up in general and they easily rival Lancôme or Benefit. (Their eyeshadow is good too)
L’Oréal and Max Factor do very good mid range mascaras.
I personally love YSL mascaras and hate Dior Show (don’t rate Dior make up at all apart from lip products) but I think if You’re going to spend £25 on a mascara you need to find ways good for you rather than gambling on recommendations.
I like a thick, long and lifted look whereas someone else may like a natural look. Having said that, Benefit are generally excellent but so hard to remove. Maybelline lash sensational in the pink tube makes a good dupe for, I think it’s ‘They’re real’. One of them. Aldi are also doing A dupe for it at the moment that everyone is raving about, not tried it personally though.

Essence foundation isn’t that bad either for very budget. Primark’s too actually was supposed to be a dupe for double wear and it’s not bad (primark does good powder blush). Both I find better than say Rimmel but if they still do it, rimmel wake me up might be worth a try for you. It’s dewy. If you can still get hold of any borjouis they had good options for dry skin.
I personally use Dermablend due to the high coverage for my pigment issues, good for large pores, not the best in dry areas but not horrible.

Collection’s concealer is a great budget option, highly regarded. With dermablend I just build the foundation in areas that need it though rather than a seperate concealer.

I haven’t found a good budget primer tbh but I’d be I tereted to try The Ordinary’s silicon one next. Smashbox would get my vote. MUA’s eyeshadow primer works though as does their setting spray in the green
bottle for a very cheap price.

Last edited:
If you have an issue with big pores - Clarins 'Instant Poreless' is the best thing I've ever used and it's only about 20 quid. Has totally transformed how my foundation etc sits/lasts on my face, it's brilliant.
Im looking for a new primer so im about to buy myself this! Thank you :)

• Heart
I’ve found some of the best mascaras i’ve used are cheap ones, i’ve used an Essence one from Wilko (was in a pink tube), one from Primark (Gold tube) and the latest one I’m using and probably my fave is w7 flirty eyes.. it takes about 60 seconds to put on, gives great coverage, makes my eyelashes long and full and doesn’t cause loads of mess.. think it cost something like £2

I'm in my early 30s and looking to change 4 products in my make up bag, anyone with similar problems to mine below and can recommend produts that worked for them?

1. Foundation - I've got dry skin with visable pores and fine lines due to eczema

2. Concealer- specifically for bad under eye circles again caused by eczema

3. Mascara - I have extremely thin, short and straight eyelashes

4. Primer - something good for dry skin, visable pores and fine lines
You sound just like me

1. Nars Sheer Glow. This is the only foundation that doesn't clog in my skin & highlight dryness while giving good coverage.

2. It cosmetics Bye Bye Under eye (stay away from shape tape, gets cloggy on dry skin)

3. Lancome Hypnose Drama - doesn't get any better than this. Also lasts longer than a lot of the more expensive mascara

4. I use a Nars one for pores. Can't remember the name.

Primer - some suggestions for your skin type: Bobbi Brown vitamin enriched face base, glossier priming moisturiser rich, milk makeup Hydra grip, k one jelly pack...
However, if you have dry skin and issues with pores the one I highly highly recommend is illamasqua Hydra veil.... With primers (and most face makeup products tbh) I have unfortunately found you get what you pay for so unfortunately haven't found any good drug store ones for dry skin 😔

Foundation - Full Coverage : Marc Jacobs reMARCable foundation is good but the one I highly highly recommend for dry skin is supercover cream foundation, it won't cling to dry patches and literally makes you look like a doll... They don't sell it in shops but you can order testers on their website so you can check the colour before you committ to the full size.

Medium Coverage : Nars all day luminous, too faced born this way, Il makiage foundation, Dior forever all in one glow.

Light Coverage: Clinique superbalanced (lovely formula but I find the shades very pink toned) Nars sheer glow.

Sheer Coverage : Florence by Mills like a light, nars pure radiant tinted moisturiser, chantecaille just skin.

Concealer : someones already said it but Too Faced sculpting concealer is BAE. You will not regret if dark circles are a concern.

Mascara: The ones I like are all really cheap.... Essence orange one, Barry M showgirl lengthening mascara, Touch In Sol Stretchex Mascara..... These all give a wispy lengthened look to your lashes but maybe won't be suitable if you're looking for volume.

sorry I'm late to the party I just love talking about makeup I can't resist lol 😂

I'm in my early 30s and looking to change 4 products in my make up bag, anyone with similar problems to mine below and can recommend produts that worked for them?

1. Foundation - I've got dry skin with visable pores and fine lines due to eczema

2. Concealer- specifically for bad under eye circles again caused by eczema

3. Mascara - I have extremely thin, short and straight eyelashes

4. Primer - something good for dry skin, visable pores and fine lines
For pores I can highly recommend Benefit Porefessional - a little goes a long way. Foundation wise with dry skin it’s best to stay away from a matte finish.

I have tried almost every mascara going, seriously, and last year I discovered Primark (forgot the name now sorry) in a silver tube for about £4 and it’s absolutely amazing. I stock up every time I go.