Kitchen Designers Recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So we’ll be moving soon and the new house doesn’t really have a kitchen. It has a few cabinets but the people currently living there are taking their oven/hob and fridge/freezer.
Does anyone know any good kitchen designers? I’ve looked into places like Wickes and Wren but it seems it’s very varied whether people have got on with them or not and they don’t give much scope for design. We’re not sure on the colour scheme but a lot of places seem to do the same browns, whites and black/grey. We don’t mind painting them but a lot already have finishes on, etc. I’ve looked at more bespoke designers but one place was quoting £40,000 and I think that’s a tad too expensive. This is all new to me so not sure where to go!

My parents used Wren no issues but found their own fitter. I say don’t get a black floor I have one and it always looks dirty, even if I just hoovered as can notice the tiniest thing

Reactions: 1
Magnet are very good, in my experience. My last kitchen from there was about 14-15k before fitting.

In my current house my kitchen is tiny and I’ve tried to utilise the space best I could. The kitchen is from IKEA, I’m happy with the quality of it, I bought my own appliances (Smeg) and they have some cabinets which aren’t the usual boring colours (as do Magnet and Wren).

2nd vote for Howdens.
Ikea are good good and there are companies that do bespoke doors to fit ikea units so it’s a cheaper way to get a unique/handmade look for far less money.
I think a lot of kitchen planners are shite. Work out your space, find out what size units they do and come up with a plan for them to work off.

2nd vote for Howdens.
Ikea are good good and there are companies that do bespoke doors to fit ikea units so it’s a cheaper way to get a unique/handmade look for far less money.
I think a lot of kitchen planners are shite. Work out your space, find out what size units they do and come up with a plan for them to work off.
With Howdens I believe you have to go through a builder and it’s not a business to customer model?

Not sure about designers, but 100pc make sure you get a bin cupboard where you just slide out your bins (we have general waste and compost compartments). Far neater than having a bin sitting out on the floor, and less unpleasant smells.

With Howdens I believe you have to go through a builder and it’s not a business to customer model?
You can go in and get a design and they can put you in touch with various local builders who can fit or if you have a builder in mind, you can provide them a parts list and ask for a quote.
Howdens can quote you a book price then give the builder a trade discount (40-60%, I think it’s 60%) which they will pocket or pass on to you in the overall job cost.

So let’s say you buy in an ikea kitchen, they might charge you £5k to fit. Whereas the same price on paper to you Howdens’ kitchen, they could charge you £3k to fit because they are gaining back with their trade discount.

Unpopular opinion but I think Howdens kitchens are basic AF, and IMO, with the prices hidden it’s really difficult to know whether your builder is getting a discount and if so, whether it’s any good at all. The prices are confusing to say the least.
They don’t actually tell you the price; you get a contracted builder/fitter and then they give them the price. Even at that, there’s no way to know whether it’s the basic shelf price, or if they’ve inflated it before discounting.
Not a good model and pretty much first time buyer kitchens.

Unpopular opinion but I think Howdens kitchens are basic AF, and IMO, with the prices hidden it’s really difficult to know whether your builder is getting a discount and if so, whether it’s any good at all. The prices are confusing to say the least.
They don’t actually tell you the price; you get a contracted builder/fitter and then they give them the price. Even at that, there’s no way to know whether it’s the basic shelf price, or if they’ve inflated it before discounting.
Oh that’s a shame - do you know of a better company?

I’ll just add for the stove top, oven and I think sink/tap we selected them at Wren. Then looked online found them cheaper so ordered them elsewhere and took them off the Wren order before we confirmed the order

I respect your opinion but while yes you’ll find their basic kitchen in student flats and cheap renos, they have various ranges, basic up to solid oak, framed kitchens. I work in the building trade and we use Howdens for the utilities, pantries etc in 7 figure houses. They can be ‘basic’ in the sense that you don’t get the curved corner units or less size options but the quality in the higher range isn’t first time buyer for sure.
We’re trade so don’t have to deal with the confusing pricing structure but the discount varies across the products. Your builder will be getting it at least 40% (generally far more) cheaper than a book price (unless you’re v.appliance heavy) but ultimately, it doesn’t matter what they pay if you’re happy with the cost of the kitchen they provide.
I wouldn’t buy appliances from them, you’ll find them cheaper elsewhere and possibly not worktops, taps, sink etc

Alternatives -
Neptune Kitchens
Naked kitchens
Tom Howley

Have you considered rehome

They sell ex display kitchens of top designers at half the price. So you might be able to find the kitchen you like but not at 40k

We initially went to Magnet and Howdens. I didn't like the Howdens design (the designer didn't take on board anything we said) and Magnet was £££. So instead we got plans drawn up by www.oneplan-design.co.uk which we were very happy with. We then emailed the designs to DIY kitchens who have provided a quote. We're just waiting for our kitchen fitters to check everything before we buy from DIY kitchen.

I’m getting a new kitchen soon. Can I ask what would be the best alternative drawer/ cupboard/ tap fittings you had that you wouldn’t be without and have made life easier.

I’m getting a new kitchen soon. Can I ask what would be the best alternative drawer/ cupboard/ tap fittings you had that you wouldn’t be without and have made life easier.
pull out larder cupboards! had a new kitchen in june and have two small larder cupboards: absolutely the best thing i did in the kitchen 🤣 they save so much space!

a soft close drawer under my oven. I keep dish towels and oven trays in there.

If you have a lot of hot drinks, a boiling water tap is fab. But if you’re in a hard water area they need regular descaling or they become a real pain. I think you can add a water softener to them which may be pricy but could be cheaper in the long run.