Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bleurghgram

VIP Member
I started journaling about a month ago as my boyfriend left me completely out of the blue and I needed an outlet for my feelings that wasn’t endless whatsapp messages begging him to come home 😳

I feel like a 12 year old and I would die if anyone ever read it. But it’s helping me to find triggers in what causes really bad days and I cannot wait to eventually look back and see how far I’ve come.

At the moment I don’t really have to think about what I write as I’m all over the place emotionally and it all kind of pours out of me. But I am wondering what it will evolve into as I (hopefully) feel better, does anyone use prompts or do you find you can always note down your thoughts?

• Heart
Reactions: 13

or JusRollWithIt

VIP Member
I’m a lifelong journal writer. I sadly threw out my teen ones as I’d read back on them and cringed so badly and tore them to pieces. But I think a few decades on, I’d now enjoy reading my younger thoughts.

There have been gaps over the years. Like when the kids were really young and I was so sleep deprived and couldn’t be bothered. I still had a journal of some form though and would jot milestones and the odd entry but it was minimaI. I did keep a blog for a few years, but prefer pen and paper.

The last 5-6 years have been regular almost daily entries. I use moleskin notebooks, hardcover ruled. The content varies. It does help me to “dump” at the end of the day. Sometimes it’s deeper thoughts, sometimes it’s mundane recaps of the day. I find I used to not write when my mental health would be suffering, but even forcing myself to make a bullet point list of tasks accomplished helped me reflect and not get too stuck. It’s only when I’m out of my slumps that I’m able to reflect with some insightful words.

I still sometimes cringe at some of the stuff I’ve written. Things that I thought were big deals but turned out to be nothing in retrospect. Perspective is an amazing thing.

I journaled a fair bit during lockdowns. That will be interesting to read back one day, it’s too soon for me yet.

I still find it hard to be completely honest in my entries, some of the things that involve others, like the kids, I feel is too private to put into words lest someone reads it in the future. I don’t want to betray their confidence even though the journals are for my eyes only. Sometimes I use code or initials to hide some of the more sensitive things.

I find writing therapeutic in many ways.

Great thread!

Reactions: 8

pinkmug

VIP Member
The only thing that puts me off is a hangover from my youth when my best friend secretly read my diary when she slept over; and also I am convinced my mum used to read it too, as there was "how rude" written in it next to a questionable picture I drew - I'm sure I didn't write it. I felt so ....invaded? I don't know. I suppose I'll have to get a box with a lock!
I've had a similar experience, my parents read my journal on several occasions and picked up a fight over something trivial that I'd written in a moment of anger/sadness. Whenever I write something down, I can't help but alter what I'm writing in case someone reads it, which totally beats the purpose of journaling to me.

• Sad
  • Heart

btw

I stumbled across a website called “future me” you write yourself a message, enter your email address and select either 6 months, a year or 5 years. Then dependent upon which option you selected, it will email you the message.
I did it yesterday for one year. I’m so excited to receive the email next year and reflect on my life from what I wrote yesterday!

• Heart

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I have kept a journal for years, but I've only managed to write a few entries this year. Too many negative events have happened, it would make for a depressing read.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Zulkraa

VIP Member
I am going to re-start my journalling in the New Year. I'm planning to have a regular written journal and a separate art journal.

I began "keeping a diary" when I was about 10-11 in 1994 - I then had one all pretty much all through secondary school and sixth form. I keep meaning to read back through them (mainly to try and remember the name of somebody I saw the other day lol). I know there's a few laughs to be had doing that, but also a few tears too.

I lost the habit somewhere in the mid- 2010s, due to mental illness and undiagnosed ASD. Although I was just drawing and doodling and writing lists etc at that point. Next year I want to get back into writing proper accounts of the day, emotions, venting etc.

I always used to get purple silk covered hardback A5 day-to-a-page diaries from WHSmith, but I can't see them on the website so I guess I'll look for a similar-sized equivalent. I've already got a Molskine book for my art journal.

The only thing that puts me off is a hangover from my youth when my best friend secretly read my diary when she slept over; and also I am convinced my mum used to read it too, as there was "how rude" written in it next to a questionable picture I drew - I'm sure I didn't write it. I felt so ....invaded? I don't know. I suppose I'll have to get a box with a lock!
As a teenager I would put on the first page to the left “DO NOT LOOK AT THE BACK PAGE NO MATTER WHAT!” And then on the back page I wrote “You can’t help yourself can you nosy bastard!” 😂 🧐 I don’t think anyone ever read it, though looking back it wouldn’t surprise me if my sister did!

• Haha
  • Heart

Laughingforlife

VIP Member
Don't think there's a thread on this, correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone keep a diary/journal? I've started in the last few months, as it lets me forget about things, knowing I've written them down, and I think it'll be fascinating to look back on in a few years. You forget how you feel in the moment, and the exact thoughts you have, don't you? So I think writing them down and having that saved to come back to at a later date is quite a nice thought, depending on what it is.

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I've been writing on and off since I was around 13. I lost the books from when I was in secondary school at 15. Somehwere in the house but I have no idea.

I started writing again between the ages of 23-30. I haven't been able to write a single word since may after going something. Drew a lot sometimes when I needed to.

Day to day you don't see the changes- it's only looking backwards that you can. Helps untangle thoughts and to remember the small things.

I've used mainly Paperchase journals but also cheaper notebooks.

S29S37

Love this thread idea!

I have always kept a journal, used to have a little diary with a lock and key when I was about 8 or 9, then as a teenager I used to use msn spaces I think it was called as an online diary, then from age 19 to late 20s I had a journal on a parenting forum, then I started a bullet journal/diary hybrid in 2017, which I have done on and off (lasts around 4-6 months at a time every 2 years)

I started a new bullet journal/diary hybrid today, I like to have habit trackers and goals etc, but then I like to get my feelings out in it.
Like others have said, I also struggle to be truly open and honest in it from fear of it being read by others. I'm quite an emotional person and regret alot of the things I feel once the cloud has lifted.
I also believe in affirmations so worry about writing on a bad day because then it affirms it :rolleyes: so my journals become a bit like toxic positivity.
I love the future me email idea, I think I'm going to write myself a letter and hide it in the house somewhere to find when I declutter!
Anyway, this post is going a bit dear diary. Apologies 😂

• Heart

HeadlessPostman

I'm glad I found this thread,

I wanted to journal so bad, but whenever i'd sit down with a brand new journal, I'd find it so hard to write down my thoughts without sounding too emotional/dramatic lol but I see here someone suggested writing prompts on pinterest, so looking tonight to write down some stuff!

ps.: And to whomever might be going through a rough patch, know that this is only temporary, in the end, you'll be ok! every little step counts, even if the rest have move on, take your time, go out and take some air. Reset your mind as many times as you need, It's never too late (EVER) to leave behind feelings and things that no longer pour into your heart ❤.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6

Some People!

Chatty Member
When I lived at home and could expect zero privacy at all, I had a hardback diary which I drilled all the way through close to the open edge about halfway down with a suitably sized drill bit to take a small padlock. And locked the thing. It wasn't beautiful and it felt like a shame, but it was necessary if I was going to have a space to vent privately.
I also kept it in a locked box and hid the keys separately because I'd rather she didn't know it existed than took my room to bits hunting for the key.

• Heart
  • Sad

Laughingforlife

VIP Member
With my diary I'm always torn between writing out all my thoughts and feelings or simply saying "today I did this and this".
I think I find it rather hard to talk about my feelings.

mozzarellagirl

VIP Member
I started journaling about a month ago as my boyfriend left me completely out of the blue and I needed an outlet for my feelings that wasn’t endless whatsapp messages begging him to come home 😳

I feel like a 12 year old and I would die if anyone ever read it. But it’s helping me to find triggers in what causes really bad days and I cannot wait to eventually look back and see how far I’ve come.

At the moment I don’t really have to think about what I write as I’m all over the place emotionally and it all kind of pours out of me. But I am wondering what it will evolve into as I (hopefully) feel better, does anyone use prompts or do you find you can always note down your thoughts?
Sending you love, Im sorry you're going through a tough time.

Prompts are super helpful to use if you find yourself staring at a blank page not knowing where to begin. Pinterest has soooo many prompts covering so many different topics.

I've wanted to get into journalling for a while now but it feels like a chore. I suppose because I know that what I'm going to write will be uncomfortable or hurt.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
I keep a diary, it's very factual though. It does really help to record what's going on. It's extremely non exciting!

iLoveMeSomeCanoles

Chatty Member
I am going to re-start my journalling in the New Year. I'm planning to have a regular written journal and a separate art journal.

I began "keeping a diary" when I was about 10-11 in 1994 - I then had one all pretty much all through secondary school and sixth form. I keep meaning to read back through them (mainly to try and remember the name of somebody I saw the other day lol). I know there's a few laughs to be had doing that, but also a few tears too.

I lost the habit somewhere in the mid- 2010s, due to mental illness and undiagnosed ASD. Although I was just drawing and doodling and writing lists etc at that point. Next year I want to get back into writing proper accounts of the day, emotions, venting etc.

I always used to get purple silk covered hardback A5 day-to-a-page diaries from WHSmith, but I can't see them on the website so I guess I'll look for a similar-sized equivalent. I've already got a Molskine book for my art journal.

• Heart
  • Wow

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
I don’t at the moment, but would like to start. I’ve had a rough year and like what you’ve said about the ‘it lets me forget things’ I think I’d like that. I’ve seen some good ones that have sections you fill in etc. i would definitely like to start though

pinkmug

VIP Member
I used to be an avid journal writer, up to uni years. I still have a few of my childhood/teenage journals. I fell out of habit but I miss it, it helped me to gather my thoughts and empty my head at the end of the day. And I found I was less likely to overshare at random times with people because I already had a good outlet for my thoughts, haha. I want to get back to it, the phone is my downfall. I always find myself glued back to a screen instead of journaling.

I used all kind of notebooks for it, mostly hard cover ones that can be closed with an elastic band. Moleskines were my favourite but I find them a bit too pricey these days. Thankfully I'm still a few pages into a limited edition Moleskine (it has a Hogwarts map cover haha) so I can enjoy using it.

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member

I stopped writing after my father once read mine. Invaded is the right word.

I didn’t feel like i was being honest with myself if i deliberately didn’t write about certain topics like sex for fear of someone else reading.

I would be the type to get a safe for my diary if i didn’t want anyone to read it.