Joker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi All,

Has anyone seen Joker and what did they think? Because of all the hype I sort of expected more but that said JP always gives excellent performances.

I enjoyed watching his character unravel but I do think the jump from seeing the last shades of Arthur and his innate innocence to the makings of The Joker showed up some gaps. There feels like there was part of his development missing; almost as though it was too difficult to translate this to film.

I’m not at all interested in super hero films , but this looked like more than that so went to see it. I also wanted an informed opinion on the “encouraging incel’s” debate that was going around a bit at the time.

I thought it was excellent. A very intense, psychological film. Obviously phoenix’s performance was incredible. But so was the score, the production design and the way it all looked in general - that’s grubby yellowy tint to Gotham. It reminded me of taxi driver - the dirty streets, the protagonists descent into madness and violence fuelled by anger, the loneliness of the big city ... and Robert de Niro of course so I don’t think it was an accident.

I’m interested in what you say, can you be more specific about what you felt was missing? Like at what part? I need to watch it again, but I wonder if i might see it slightly differently. It’s so intense in the cinema and I was anticipating him ‘snapping’ for so long I would have filled in any less convincing parts myself, probably.

I didn’t think the incel argument stood up. And I would be the first to criticise if it did. But what happened to him wasn’t really due to the neighbour rejecting him. That was one small element but it would have happened anyway.

Reactions: 3
The joker was never innocent. He acts like that due to his illness and because he has to hide his true self lol.

What did you think was missing ??

We start off with how ill he is. He is a loner and bullied and not liked. Then he kills the 3 men and he enjoys it. Then he just keeps killing and he loves it. Then at the end everyone loves him for killing the "bad" rich guys.. They don't know about his mom, his neighbour and her daughter...

He has lost his connection to reality and has jumped deep into madness.. although clearly a sociopath they really did portray him as having schizophrenic tendencies ..

Anyway the film is all over the place because it's representing his mind.

Reactions: 2
I’m not at all interested in super hero films , but this looked like more than that so went to see it. I also wanted an informed opinion on the “encouraging incel’s” debate that was going around a bit at the time.

I thought it was excellent. A very intense, psychological film. Obviously phoenix’s performance was incredible. But so was the score, the production design and the way it all looked in general - that’s grubby yellowy tint to Gotham. It reminded me of taxi driver - the dirty streets, the protagonists descent into madness and violence fuelled by anger, the loneliness of the big city ... and Robert de Niro of course so I don’t think it was an accident.

I’m interested in what you say, can you be more specific about what you felt was missing? Like at what part? I need to watch it again, but I wonder if i might see it slightly differently. It’s so intense in the cinema and I was anticipating him ‘snapping’ for so long I would have filled in any less convincing parts myself, probably.

I didn’t think the incel argument stood up. And I would be the first to criticise if it did. But what happened to him wasn’t really due to the neighbour rejecting him. That was one small element but it would have happened anyway.
I think it was post the incident in the apartment (dont want to give away any spoilers) and when he appears on the show. Before then you felt his vulnerability, especially after the revelations of his mother, but post that scene you didnt get any depth like he had just decided to become Joker rather than have the internal struggle that he had so much previous. I dont know, maybe I'm just talking tit.

I did really enjoy it, although it isnt an enjoyable film if you get me.

I actually wish there had been a few more funny moments in it as I think JP can do comedy really well.

This! Spot on.
I agree with the Taxi Driver bleak feel to the city.

I never liked the encouraging Incel critique. If people truly took that and only that from this movie then they missed the point entirely. Phoenix was phenomenal in this.

Reactions: 2
This! Spot on.
I agree with the Taxi Driver bleak feel to the city.

I never liked the encouraging Incel critique. If people truly took that and only that from this movie then they missed the point entirely. Phoenix was phenomenal in this.
That's why they got DeNiro. It's like the dark knight which was a completely copy of HEAT

I think it was post the incident in the apartment (dont want to give away any spoilers) and when he appears on the show. Before then you felt his vulnerability, especially after the revelations of his mother, but post that scene you didnt get any depth like he had just decided to become Joker rather than have the internal struggle that he had so much previous. I dont know, maybe I'm just talking tit.
He stated he'd stopped taking his medication at that point. He told his workmates he'd been feeling much better without them, so it's not a stretch to think the meds had been masking who he really was all along.

Agree with the others about the incel accusations. They seemed to be getting made by people who hadn't even seen it. His neighbour didn't even reject him. Certain media outlets really seemed to want the movie to incite violence, but it didn't.

Trailer for the sequel, "Joker: Folie à Deux" came out today. Looks fabulously dark again.

Features Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn, and Steve Coogan pops up for a second too.

Reactions: 1