Jill Dando BBC1

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone watching?

I was fascinated by this at the time, she seemed such a lovely lady & it was so shocking, still is.

I think she knew too much about certain high profile individuals and was ready to blow the whistle.

Any views

Reactions: 4
Ill watch tomorrow. Didnt know about it, but i remember it being on the news as a kid.

Reactions: 1
I recently fell into the black hole of conspiracy videos on YouTube where I came across Rich Hall's series about the Dando case. I've not seen the latest BBC one yet. I remember it at the time and initially thought it was a crazy stalker who was obsessed with her but this was before I found out about any potential revenge from Serbian/Kosovan hitmen or that she was about to expose a paedophile ring. The fact she wasn't even living at her home in Fulham that much at the time makes it baffling- it must've been someone who knew she would just be stopping by briefly and had made a shopping detour on the way? I find it difficult to believe her fiance and friends had anything to do with it though, it doesn't make sense. Like many of these cases, I guess we'll never know what really happened.

I regret that to date, I don't buy the conspiracy theories.

Returning to the successful appellant:
1. He lived within 500 yards of the murder scene.
2. There was no available CCTV footage indicating JD was followed by vehicle/bike to her house, which you might have expected with a professional hitman
3. A hitman is more likely to have used a silencer and/or picked up the cartridge afterwards
4. The tentative conclusion is that therefore, it was more likely to have been a random attack by a stranger.
5. The appellant was not the brightest person, but he had a certain cunning. A psychiatrist at his trial testified the appellant was more competent than tests suggested and was capable of lying.
6. The appellant had a worrying history of socially deviant behaviour. Including a conviction for attempted rape. After his flat was searched a year after the murder, he was discovered to have stalked and taken dozens of photos of women without their consent.
7. He had been caught in the 80s near Kensinton Palace carrying a coil of rope and a knife, hoping to see Princess Diana
8. The police search uncovered a photo of him dressed as an SAS trooper holding a starting pistol.
9. The police search also found he had collected articles on other female celebrities
10. On the day of the murder, a witness had seen him in JD's street at approx 7am.
11. At the time of the murder, JD was living with her fiance and only returned to her house intermittently. There was no regular pattern upon which a hitman could plan, landing weight to a random attack.
12. The way in which JD's body was found at her front door, with keys in her hand, suggests she was taken by surprise.

All this is circumstantial, but together with the gunshot particle in his coat, resulted initially in a conviction. When the gunshot evidence was excluded at the retrial, the case fell away.

Scottish law has a third verdict of not proven, Englsh law does not.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Piece on the Mail today. Personally I'm beginning to think they got the right guy in the first place, am inclined to agree with post above this one.

Reactions: 2
Piece on the Mail today. Personally I'm beginning to think they got the right guy in the first place, am inclined to agree with post above this one.
I don’t think he did it but I am surprised he’s in the new Netflix documentary about the murder.

I remember my boyfriend at the time ringing me at work to say she had been killed and I was telling people in the office and everyone was really shocked. She was so well known and really popular. I found it really sad. But the police were under huge pressure to find her killer because of how high profile the case was and how popular Jill was. I think they were grasping at straws with Barry George.

Pat brown (criminal profiler) on you tube did an interesting you tube video on this case, if any of you are interested

9. The police search also found he had collected articles on other female celebrities
This is not strictly true, he was a hoarder and had 100s of magazines piled up in his flat, of which the police found a few with Jill Dando in and took this as evidence. He is a troubling guy for sure but the evidence against him was weak at best.

You can't list "he lived nearby" and "it was a random attack" as evidence against him specifically, a lot of people lived within 500m and didn't know her.

Reactions: 4
I've come to suspect it was George all along.. one thing that gives me doubt is that by his own admission he is not exactly brain of Britain so I'm not sure he'd have the capability of sustaining a lie for so long.

I watched the Netflix doc yesterday. I was only a kid when Jill Dando was killed so don't really remember much other than it being all over the news at the time.

George is definitely a troubled man and I am not 100% convinced he didn't do it. BUT, the thing that puzzles me is the lack of other forensic evidence. The forensics at the time managed to find that tiny particle in his coat but no traces of blood/hair/fibres which would have likely transferred as well. It is highly likely that something - even if microscopic - other than that tiny gunshot residue particle would have been found. I do wonder if they retested his coat and Jill's clothing using today's methods and technology if they would find anything. There was no mention of them doing that for his re-trial, which you would think they would considering their strongest evidence was inadmissible.

I suppose he could have done it and got rid of the clothes he was wearing (which is possible - it was a while before the police were onto him).

The doc mentions the possibility of Serbian hitman or a criminal network with a grudge but I'm not sold on those theories either.

The stuff about the bullet is interesting though, as according to George's barrister, a journalist in Serbia was killed in the same way as Jill and a bullet bearing the same markings was found... but again... 🤷‍♀️ he's going to use anything to point the finger at anyone other than his client soo...

Reactions: 3
I’ve not watched the Netflix documentary yet but I’ve never believed that Barry George was capable of the crime. It was clearly a professional ‘hit’. She was shot at point blank range in the head, and the killer was able to quickly scarper without being seen. Just one look at Barry George will tell you he couldn’t have done it, where would he have got a gun from for starters? It’s really difficult to get hold a gun in the U.K. Interestingly it was claimed the gun that killed Jill later turned up in Liverpool and was used in a gangland shooting years later.

It absolutely was BG.

Forensics falls apart very quickly, paramedics trampled the whole scene trying to save Jill's life and whatever was on the coat also fell apart after more than a year till it was taken in.

The "hitman" and "criminal underground" accusations were all followed and all fell apart, because they didn't make sense.
The call from a "hitman" also said Jill would be the first, yet no other journalist was killed. It was a prank. No organisation claimed the kill and they absolutely do claim kills. A hitman wouldn't have killed in such a manner.

No one can outight say it was BG, because BG sues for it and he has been paid handsomely by papers in settlements. He has a low IQ, but he is capable of planning, cunning and lying. I mean, he used many aliases, pretended to be police, even obtained a genuine id or some such and gun. Clearly not too dumb to plan, lie and execute a plan.

His ex-wife fled home to Japan to escape him and has stated that he is capable of murder.

It was clear from the start that it was a "loner, stalker" type. About 4 calls came in the first month after the killing pointing towards BG, but because he used many aliases it wasn't instantly clear that the same man was meant.

Pretty enlightening article, how anyone can doubt it was BG is beyond me. It's enough to read the first few paragraphs, but overall great piece and very informative.

• Wow
None of it ever made sense. Why the duck would anyone want to kill Jill Dando? She was completely inoffensive. People say she was about to close a pedalo ring etc. But that’s bollocks. She wasn’t an investigative journalist.

Well, exactly, why would anyone want to kill her?

But either in the Ross piece or the Netflix docu it was said that stalkers and mentally impaired have their own logic. It doesn't have to make sense to us, it makes sense to them. Like when someone goes "if I can't have you, no one else can either" and then kill their (ex-)partner (I mean, this example is easy to understand, but anyway).

Again, it all fits with the first hunch the crime department (and Ross) had, which is "loner, stalker".

I honestly have no clue. It’s a strange one for sure. Really hope it’s solved. I was doing a GCSE mock that day and remember being so shocked. She was so well known. Back then, even us kids watched the tv news and everybody was talking about it at school the next day. Poor woman.

I honestly have no clue. It’s a strange one for sure. Really hope it’s solved. I was doing a GCSE mock that day and remember being so shocked. She was so well known. Back then, even us kids watched the tv news and everybody was talking about it at school the next day. Poor woman.
It was so shocking wasn’t it? I thought the person who first told me was taking the piss because the idea that Jill would be murdered was absurd and it still is. I think the equivalent today would be someone like Holly Willoughby being murdered.

I think I’ve already posted it on here but I worked in a large open plan office at the time and my boyfriend rang to tell me she had died and I shouted it out to tell everyone in the office and everyone was shocked. She was really well known at the time but also came across as such a nice person.

I also remember having a TV magazine that I had purchased before she died but when I looked at it after the news of her death it had Jill Dando written across the front and on the back cover it was some kind of advert but it said kill in large letters so when you spread it out back cover to front cover it read ‘KILL JILL DANDO’ 😳