Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SkankHunt42

Mod edit moved from James O'Brien thread

Anyone else can't stand him?

He's constantly cherry picking things to suit his agenda while moaning about other people doing it. So smug and just likes to hear from people that stroke his ego or agree with him. The moment anyone betters him they're faded out and he starts a monologue of putting words into their mouth that they never said.

Such a silly shock jock!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 15

MissTeddy

VIP Member
This thread has blown up recently !

I agree with an earlier commenter that Shelagh is completely unlikable - there is something really condescending about her. And how often does she need to mention that she was at the Bulger trial ??

I am still a big fan of Nick Ferrari - he's not perfect but he's a traditional newsman and good in a crisis. His is the voice I want to hear in the morning, I've listened to him for as long as I can remember.

I absolutely can't stand Steve Allen I'm afraid, when i turn the radio on first thing and he's still moaning and bitching and whining - i can't bear it.

I feel its such a shame about JamesOB. He used to talk about really really worthy topics. Some great, really in-depth chats about children, poverty, social care, housing - really important issues. And then Brexit came along and he lost his mind. He just become the most obnoxious, aggressive, narrow minded individual. And since Brexit all he's talked about is Covid. I would like to see him talk less about political issues and get back to talking about social issues but I'm afraid he's gone from being my favourite to being one i can hardly stand. I do quite like mystery hour though.

I find i listen to Classic FM during the day now - because don't like Shelagh's voice and it keeps my blood pressure down. I put LBC back on at 4pm for Eddie Mair, and i like Andrew Piece (I know him personally and he's a lovely man).

Reactions: 10

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
How does anyone listen to James O'brien. He is a very nasty man.
It's the condescension that does it for me. I can quite happily listen to a presenter with a different opinion to me but James is so smug and arrogant with callers it can make the listening experience uncomfortable at times.

I have thought this so many times!
it’s literally cringe worthy listening to him because the moment someone has a decent argument that might potentially make him look bad, he shoots them down and ends the call as if his opinion is the ONLY opinion.
It makes me squirm with embarrassment for him.

MissTeddy

VIP Member
I started listening to LBC beginning if 2016 before the Brexit vote. Initially I found JOB informative and very well educated.I only really like JOB when he talks about shops now. Otherwise I do find him incredibly arrogant, tone deaf, privileged and completely lacking in empathy. And as much as he likes to think he is aware of all the facts on every subject, he does ignore the ones that don't back-up his arguement. Calling people 'Gammon' is unnecessary.

Tom Swarbrick and Steve Allen are great. Eddie Mair is fun and I love the way he interacts with the other LBC reporters. David Lammy is too shouty and Shelagh is ok. Iain Dale is a good interviewer thou big 'C' conservative.

LBC is informative thou the days I listen to Heart 80s all day my mood is lighter by the end of the day.
Anyone who resorts to calling people Gammons and Karen’s has lost the argument in my opinion.

Reactions: 9

depository

I prob share many of the same political views he does yet I've grown to find him so condescending to people who disagree with him. In the big showdown interview with Jacob Rees-Mogg, O'Brien came across as sneering - the very sort of behaviour he would accuse Tory politicians of.

I have very different political views to Iain Dale, but I would much rather listen to him than JOB as at least he lets people talk.

I think JOB is probably victim of his own success - all the viral clips of arguments he has had with Brexiteers have gone to his head and made him think he is right about everything. His lack of self awareness of criticising people for certain types of behaviour, and then displaying the very same traits everyday is breathtaking.

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I cannot listen to Shelagh Fogarty. I find the way she bangs on about being a carer for her mother. I always get the impression she frowns upon anyone who has a relative in a home.

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
I'm not too sure where that poster has got that info from. They haven't said. Bit of a weird poster too.

Listening to James today and he was talking about Football,Housing and Boris. He then said would you rather Boris intervened in football or your children being able to afford to buy a house ? He obviously thought he'd made some amazing point. I thought, James you really know nothing about football and it's fans. Football obviously. ;)
But - but he's a man of the people, isn't he? Got his finger on the pulse of the man in the street. Always downgrades his accent when talking to plumbers and Uber drivers. Calls them 'mate'. Tries to hide his public school education. Well, perhaps not the latter but he tries very hard to let you all know he didn't benefit from it by deliberately mispronouncing the long words and Latin phrases he scatters throughout his speeches - er, introductions.

Reactions: 8

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I was listening to James O'Brien today and he does that thing that Nick Ferrari also does that when they are dealing with a sensitive subject they put on this faux, quiet voice to show concern. I find it really patronising.

Bubbles Tizzy

I listen to LBC less these days - I can listen to Steve Allen in small doses, some days just cannot take the one sided conversations with the producers or the bitching to the celebs he has no time for, other days I really enjoy him. I am quite liking Ian Payne in the morning. Ferrari is ok most days but as per SA cannot listen in everyday. JOB is a no go for me - too opinionated and will bully those he disagrees with, not a nice listen., too up himself.

Shelagh I find too sickly sweet and also judgemental. Eddie Mair just not my cup of tea.

I like Iain Dale and really enjoy his podcast with Jackie Smith, I find him generally reasonable to those he disagrees with. Tom Swarbrick is ok too.

Nick Abbot cannot take to his style.

As for the weekend - really bad, Andrew Castle not really a heavy hitting journalist although seems to think he is. Maajid can be ok if not too involved personally in the subject. As for David Lammy just cannnot stand the race baiter.

Well thats my tuppence worth.

• Heart
Can’t believe how suddenly active this thread has gotten, love it!

cannot stand JOB, I hate his faux modest “pls like me caller” shite he does where he bumlicks whoever’s called 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Listening to Steve Allen reminds me of sleepless nights unwell so always makes me feel like somethings wrong with me 😂

Nick Abbott has become unbearable, I know this’ll make me sound 100 years old but he makes such a racket for a late night slot? You’re meant to be soothing us to sleep pls calm down 😫

• Haha

Redvers36

VIP Member
For years my top three, must-listen presenters were Ferrari, O'Brien and Abbott. I still love Nick Ferrari but cannot bear to listen to the other two. The spite and contempt, especially from J O'B, with which they treat callers who disagree with them is unbearable. Presumably it suits LBC to keep them, so they must be getting reasonable listening figures. It's a pity RAJAR have suspended operations during the pandemic. It would be interesting to see if they've retained their audience. J O'B's second book wasn't nearly as successful as the first one.
The Nick Ferrari brand if I may put it like that is in a good run. He provides news at a time when people especially want that and via bits like "Call Kier" he has pushed his way into the national media scope.

Whereas James O'Brien is in a bad run in two areas. Firstly if you write a book about being right then being publicly wrong is a bit more than unfortunate. He has crashed and burned on the EU Vaccine program for example. Also if you continually insult what is a large chunk of the population by calling Brexiters thick and racist you narrow your audience. Last week showed that he has alienated the left as well. That further reduces any potential audience.

Hawthorn23

Darren was the worst gadget guru ever. He knew absolutely nothing. I did however like Nathan Morley and the theatre guy, Roger something to other. Can't remember his name.
I liked Roger Foss too also John Warrington the others not so much.

Bangla Road is only happy when on his high horse and putting down anyone who disagrees with him. He seems to be on a crusade to get Ferrari sacked from LBC. I have not gone onto the ds thread lately without him having a pop at Ferrari. I bet he would not like it if someone tried to get him sacked from his job for his opinions. Nasty little man thinking he is king of the ds lbc thread, mind he does seem to have lots on there who worship his every word.
He's so consumed with hatred for Nick Ferrari that he religiously tunes in every morning hangs on his every word then types like a ten year old on the internet for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Laurst

VIP Member
Occasionally Nick Ferrari will apologise if a call has taken him into the time allotted for James O'Brien's show. They may chat briefly then. But I would imagine that Nick wants to get on his way well before James starts his long-winded opening monologue.
The opening monologue is another thing to add to the "why James O'Brien is insufferable" list.

Redvers36

VIP Member
James OB is getting more and more insufferable daily. Occasionally a really articulate yet seemingly disagreeable caller gets through his producer Ava (if you follower her on twitter, she’s basically like a mini James) and James straight away cuts them off after ‘deciding their not worth his time’. Anyone with an iota of intelligence and a different view point doesn’t stand a chance!

I noticed Steve’s Corey the producer was off to Iain dale which is interesting.There seems to be a lot of internal changes reading between the lines.

I generally listen throughout the day but I do agree, it’s starting to feel a bit stale in parts.Even the guest presenters are getting a bit meh.
The problem for Brian is that he has spread himself so thin. Just this week he seems to have become a self-appointed expert on the Israel situation and the Prince Harry/Meghan issue. This adds to being an expert on Scotland after criticising others from giving opinions about Scotland from London!

The only way he can keep any real control over the conversation is the fader button. But before even that Ava only lets on the fanboys and girls as well as inarticulate opponents. That must be why there are times he takes so few calls.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
He hasn't been suspended. He has been off because he has been having anxiety attacks for some reason and has had trouble getting into the studio to do his show. He is currently coming in and doing his little bit extra podcasts as a way of breaking himself back in. He's been doing them every day since Monday.

He is having a scan today which he seems particularly worried about. I think this bout of illness has freaked him out.
Anxiety is a terrible thing, it seems as if his employers are being supportive. I wish him the best.

Reactions: 7

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
James O'Brien has even more self-loathing issues than Piers! I'm sure that's what they bonded on. LOL.

Steve Allen is off all week. I'm almost sure he must have got suspended, but for some reason no side wants to admit it. It's too fishy.
He hasn't been suspended. He has been off because he has been having anxiety attacks for some reason and has had trouble getting into the studio to do his show. He is currently coming in and doing his little bit extra podcasts as a way of breaking himself back in. He's been doing them every day since Monday.

He is having a scan today which he seems particularly worried about. I think this bout of illness has freaked him out.

Reactions: 7