Instagram vs reality pics

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over the past few days I’ve seen a few more of these insta body besides real non angled, filter posed. Now I want to say a couple of things.

It’s great people have started to do their thing and actually expose this type of behaviour, but honestly I just feel like it’s so disingenuous. As we all know the next post in is another “perfect” pic. Same with all these postpartum photos and straight away at six weeks hammering the gym and diet stuff. If you want to highlight the culture of it but in the next post are being part of it again you don’t actually feel that way then do you? I get we all stick a filter on and maybe move the camera for a slightly more flattering angle but honestly even that sometimes can make a face or body look entirely different.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The thing that bugs me is no amount of angling or filters make my body look good 😂😂😂 so yes I appreciate them showing their size 10 rolls and cellulite but they still generally look good

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Most of the people who do it are quite slim and it just comes across really condescending. And keep in mind the 'reality' photos - are also posed - here's me flashing my stretch marks, pushing out my stomach etc.

A candid pic someone else has taken where they've been caught at a bad angle is an actual example of 'reality'

Reactions: 10
Exactly I understand the intention behind it, but really it just seems pointless and fake to me.

Reactions: 1
A few pictures I’ve seen have actually really helped me. My self esteem has taken a real nose dive during lockdown and I had a couple of months of being really stupid & massively restricting calories and over exercising trying to be perfect. I’ve been really glad for some of the reality pics I’ve seen they’ve gently nudged me back into check!

Reactions: 4
I ended up writing on my blog about it (I'm recovering from poor self image, depression and body dysmorphia). I hadn't realised Facetune was such a massive thing until I started researching social media and body image. I found this article interesting. https://medium.com/minds-in-tune/facetune-dysmorphia-2f67d04548f
I read your blog post and it’s very interesting. And very worrying the way social media has impacted us. I have the same issues as you and the way it’s effected me is more with my face as I would never dream of posting a bikini picture anyway. I once edited I think 1 or 2 pictures just to ease some lines around my eyes and soften my skin out a bit. I think it was pretty subtle. But I’m seeing more signs of ageing now (which I’m not coping well with) and I’ve made the decision to not post any pictures anywhere at all on social media now unless they’re naturally flattering. My concern is that by heavily editing my face in pictures I will notice that people are shocked when they see me at how different I look. So just not posting any now. I did say only the other day to my husband that if I was a celebrity who was always airbrushed to perfection in pictures I know with the way my mind works I would develop a phobia or anxiety about going out and people seeing the real me.

I know that influencers who’ve started to post the reality pictures are still putting out what they feel comfortable with but maybe it will grow and grow. I’ve been so glad to see store tech marks and tummy rolls and lose skin but would love to see more natural faces!

Reactions: 3
I read your blog post and it’s very interesting. And very worrying the way social media has impacted us. I have the same issues as you and the way it’s effected me is more with my face as I would never dream of posting a bikini picture anyway. I once edited I think 1 or 2 pictures just to ease some lines around my eyes and soften my skin out a bit. I think it was pretty subtle. But I’m seeing more signs of ageing now (which I’m not coping well with) and I’ve made the decision to not post any pictures anywhere at all on social media now unless they’re naturally flattering. My concern is that by heavily editing my face in pictures I will notice that people are shocked when they see me at how different I look. So just not posting any now. I did say only the other day to my husband that if I was a celebrity who was always airbrushed to perfection in pictures I know with the way my mind works I would develop a phobia or anxiety about going out and people seeing the real me.

I know that influencers who’ve started to post the reality pictures are still putting out what they feel comfortable with but maybe it will grow and grow. I’ve been so glad to see store tech marks and tummy rolls and lose skin but would love to see more natural faces!
That's not my work, but thank you, my blog isn't in this name. I found this while researching for it. If you want me to send you a link privately send me a message.

I agree with you completely, I have other health issues that play into it (e.g. complete hairloss since my early teens, now early 40s). I couldn't look in a mirror in years as thought I was such a freak of nature, I call it the ogre that lived in my head.

It took me a long time, try be kind to yourself :).

That's not my work, but thank you, my blog isn't in this name. I found this while researching for it. If you want me to send you a link privately send me a message.

I agree with you completely, I have other health issues that play into it (e.g. complete hairloss since my early teens, now early 40s). I couldn't look in a mirror in years as thought I was such a freak of nature, I call it the ogre that lived in my head.

It took me a long time, try be kind to yourself :).
Thank you, I am really sorry to hear what you have been through and I can imagine how hard it must be. I’ve sent you what I think is a private message xx

First of all, I appreciate all of your's words. Yeah, A huge percentage of Instagram influencer use the fake filter to looks attractive and shows fake luxury to get attention. No doubt that it's a shameful activity but not everyone does that. Someone like Chanelle Punton, who is naturally beautiful and doesn't show fake luxury. I am a big fan of her, she is very loyal with her fans.:)

this is what I hope will happen too and this is why I feel so conflicted about it. Because in my eyes it’s become such a serious and massive issue yet a few are doing it still for attention. Then I feel bad because maybe they really do feel like it’s the real them they are sharing again.

First of all, I appreciate all of your's words. Yeah, A huge percentage of Instagram influencer use the fake filter to looks attractive and shows fake luxury to get attention. No doubt that it's a shameful activity but not everyone does that. Someone like Chanelle Punton, who is naturally beautiful and doesn't show fake luxury. I am a big fan of her, she is very loyal with her fans.:)
I love finding new “real” people sharing on insta and I understand that we will all relate to lots of different people in terms of personal taste, our own life and what our own bodies look like.
One thing I love about Tattle even though it can seem quite harsh or sharp tongued sometimes it cuts throughout the bullsh*t pretty quick!
I catch my own thoughts sometimes after seeing people look a certain way and honestly I think it ruined allowing to celebrate so many personal accomplishments that I made because all I could do was compare it.
consistency is definitely what I want to see!

Last edited: