Insomnia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's been a topic on one of the threads so thought creating a thread here would be a good idea to bring people together to chat and share advice :)

Reactions: 2
Self heating eye masks are great and would recommend them, except for when I'm wide awake at night. I splashed out and got spacemasks, but they stayed heated for so long that I got bored and took it off. I get cheap ones from superdrug.
I also got a herbal scented pillow, to place next to my own pillow.

Reactions: 1
Self heating eye masks are great and would recommend them, except for when I'm wide awake at night. I splashed out and got spacemasks, but they stayed heated for so long that I got bored and took it off. I get cheap ones from superdrug.
I also got a herbal scented pillow, to place next to my own pillow.
The spacemasks look lovely, but going to go for the Superdrug ones, they look perfect for using in the bath.

Not an insomniac but I did work in a sleep clinic for a long time (which is fun because when people ask what you do for a living, you get to say you watch people sleep...) so happy to answer questions people may have about going down that route.

That said, the best sleep advice is often the annoying wholesome stuff you already know: put your phone down, have a good bedtime routine, keep your bedroom for sleeping, clean sheets and fresh air.

Reactions: 6
@Badlyplatedflapjacks and @hongkongfuey

I've talked about weighted blankets on the JM threads, I suffered from insomnia for years, I bought a weighted blanket a few months ago not really expecting it to work but as anyone who's experienced insomnia knows we'll try anything that might help.
It has really changed my sleep patterns, most nights now I sleep for 6/7 hours, sometimes more, which is miraculous for me.

I still wake in the night but instead of tossing and turning for hours I fall back to sleep quickly and wake up feeling refreshed in the morning.
I know it sounds too good to be true but it worked for me :sleep:🥳

I'll stop boring on, I bought a ZZZNest blanket from Amazon, it cost about £60, you can pay a lot more but I'm really happy with this one.

Reactions: 4
@Badlyplatedflapjacks and @hongkongfuey

I've talked about weighted blankets on the JM threads, I suffered from insomnia for years, I bought a weighted blanket a few months ago not really expecting it to work but as anyone who's experienced insomnia knows we'll try anything that might help.
It has really changed my sleep patterns, most nights now I sleep for 6/7 hours, sometimes more, which is miraculous for me.

I still wake in the night but instead of tossing and turning for hours I fall back to sleep quickly and wake up feeling refreshed in the morning.
I know it sounds too good to be true but it worked for me :sleep:🥳

I'll stop boring on, I bought a ZZZNest blanket from Amazon, it cost about £60, you can pay a lot more but I'm really happy with this one.
Thank you so much.

Do you use it over your duvet or instead of?

I got a weighted blanket from kalmkoala, it was a bit expensive at £97 but seems ok so far. I still don't know if it's really helping yet as it's been a very stressful week, I have anxiety attacks during the night and I was really hoping the weighted blanket would put a stop to it. But it could be that I had placed too high expectations. I'll report back again when I've calmed down a bit more. Anyway the blanket cover has a cool bamboo side and a warm fleecy side, which is good too as I like different textures. It also states it's a 8 tog rating, so compared to a duvet it's pretty good.

I get bouts of insomnia and have tried all sorts but the best techniques I have:
-drink bed time tea. Be careful if you’re on antidepressants though- Some of them contain valerian root or at johns wart which can interact with meds. If in doubt use chamomile.
-Avon’s pillow mist
-Johnson’s bed time baby body lotion
And for when I’m really really struggling to knock myself out I take strugeron travel sickness tablets.

I get bouts of insomnia and have tried all sorts but the best techniques I have:
-drink bed time tea. Be careful if you’re on antidepressants though- Some of them contain valerian root or at johns wart which can interact with meds. If in doubt use chamomile.
-Avon’s pillow mist
-Johnson’s bed time baby body lotion
And for when I’m really really struggling to knock myself out I take strugeron travel sickness tablets.
Travel sickness tablets? Do they really help ? .I occasionally use Nitol so I'd be willing to try something new.

Travel sickness tablets? Do they really help ? .I occasionally use Nitol so I'd be willing to try something new.
They work for me. Once they kick in I’m out like a light. I only use the Stugeron ones so can’t say or any other brands work.

I've had on and off insomnia for years since giving birth to my first child. I never once had trouble with sleep before that. My last bout of insomnia lasted a solid 8 weeks nothing changed or happened in my life I was not down in any way I just could not sleep more than 3 hours broken sleep a night in 1 hour blocks. It was awful I was crying every day It made me feel that low so I understand anyone's struggles with it. Now what helped me were magnesium tablets from Holland and Barrett you take them an hour or two before going to bed. Aswell as cbd oil jacob hooy from Holland and Barrett I started with the 2.5% which helped but then had the 5% which is much better. I was going to sleep straight away nearly every night which even before my insomnia started it would take me an hour or 2. And I was sleeping better than I ever had done 7/8 hours a night. Now I don't take these every night anymore as my sleep has drastically improved but if I'm ever finding myself struggling I go back to these products. Also there's antihistamine called sominex you can buy behind the counter at Tesco which I find are good for the odd night when you can't sleep. And Definately no phones tablets laptops in the hour or so before bed

Reactions: 3
I had a horrible time with insomnia after my first child and suffering with pnd. I was getting 1hr sleep a night and waking up bang on an hour every time! I was an anxious wreck and it was a truly horrendous time so I really feel for anyone suffering with it. What really helped me was a booked called The effortless sleep method by Sasha Stevens. She suffered with insomnia for years and it controlled every part of her life. Her book is very much about the mental side of insomnia and how thoughts can affect sleep. Really recommend the book

Reactions: 2
I've had on and off insomnia for years since giving birth to my first child. I never once had trouble with sleep before that. My last bout of insomnia lasted a solid 8 weeks nothing changed or happened in my life I was not down in any way I just could not sleep more than 3 hours broken sleep a night in 1 hour blocks. It was awful I was crying every day It made me feel that low so I understand anyone's struggles with it. Now what helped me were magnesium tablets from Holland and Barrett you take them an hour or two before going to bed. Aswell as cbd oil jacob hooy from Holland and Barrett I started with the 2.5% which helped but then had the 5% which is much better. I was going to sleep straight away nearly every night which even before my insomnia started it would take me an hour or 2. And I was sleeping better than I ever had done 7/8 hours a night. Now I don't take these every night anymore as my sleep has drastically improved but if I'm ever finding myself struggling I go back to these products. Also there's antihistamine called sominex you can buy behind the counter at Tesco which I find are good for the odd night when you can't sleep. And Definately no phones tablets laptops in the hour or so before bed
Can you advise which magnesium tablets you take from H&B please ?
I also use Sominex when I’m struggling x

I’m having a really bad time with insomnia this late month. I cannot her to sleep in my bed and have taken to sleeping on the sofa. I think it’s because lockdown has played havoc with everything. OH snores and that keeps me awake. And I don’t get any unwind time at all any more. I’ve just bought some expensive sleep spray that seems effective but I’m considering a weighted blanket too