Injured and can’t run/do the things you love?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thread for those who are currently injured in some way and are finding the frustration from that excruciating.

Welcome all!

(I am currently on the bench from running/spinning but actually can’t do much of anything due to a hamstring /knee injury. I am a pain to live with and and finding it hard to talk about anything else. Going up stairs one foot at a time is 😖. We live in a three storey house 😖😖.)

Reactions: 1
I am so sorry you're injured! Hope you'll feel better soon x

When I got my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago and couldn't run I tried to embrace the forced break by doing all the things I haven't had time for like reading, playing sims and watching a new show. I also signed up for multiple runs to give me something to look forward to. It still sucked but I got thru it and my first few runs have been great. Obviously it's different when the break is caused by an injury but even this can have benefits! A few years ago I had a hamstring injury which meant I was back to square one with running and stretching but it gave me the chance to really focus on my technique for the first few workouts and I managed to improve my technique and have less issues now.

My best advise would be to make sure you are following all your doctors recommendations to a t so you'll be back to running/spinning asap. Don't push yourself too early or stopping phyiso / medication early.

• Heart
I am so sorry you're injured! Hope you'll feel better soon x

When I got my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago and couldn't run I tried to embrace the forced break by doing all the things I haven't had time for like reading, playing sims and watching a new show. I also signed up for multiple runs to give me something to look forward to. It still sucked but I got thru it and my first few runs have been great. Obviously it's different when the break is caused by an injury but even this can have benefits! A few years ago I had a hamstring injury which meant I was back to square one with running and stretching but it gave me the chance to really focus on my technique for the first few workouts and I managed to improve my technique and have less issues now.

My best advise would be to make sure you are following all your doctors recommendations to a t so you'll be back to running/spinning asap. Don't push yourself too early or stopping phyiso / medication early.
Thank you for all of this and sorry about your wisdom teeth. The constant low-level pain must be horrid.

The last 2 weeks I have given myself a proper talking to and the lovely weather has helped. I’ve read, found some really good chair workouts and at times had the realisation that I won’t turn into an ogre if I don’t spin or run a certain number of times a week. Obviously, there are miserable times and a short walk into town just now ended with me needing a lift home.

I totally agree with the functional stuff. Doing chair workouts has made me realise that I was doing everything incorrectly (which has probably contributed to my current situation) and spending half an hour every morning and night on the PT stuff is hard but I know it will help. Sometimes a long step back is what you need.

How did you damage your hamstring and how long did it take until you were pain free (this is all new to me)?

Thank you for all of this and sorry about your wisdom teeth. The constant low-level pain must be horrid.

The last 2 weeks I have given myself a proper talking to and the lovely weather has helped. I’ve read, found some really good chair workouts and at times had the realisation that I won’t turn into an ogre if I don’t spin or run a certain number of times a week. Obviously, there are miserable times and a short walk into town just now ended with me needing a lift home.

I totally agree with the functional stuff. Doing chair workouts has made me realise that I was doing everything incorrectly (which has probably contributed to my current situation) and spending half an hour every morning and night on the PT stuff is hard but I know it will help. Sometimes a long step back is what you need.

How did you damage your hamstring and how long did it take until you were pain free (this is all new to me)?
I was lucky in the sense that the pain came out of nowhere and then was so intense that I really didn’t suffer long because they squeezed me in within 24hours! But still wasn’t fun 🤣

That’s so true! Although it certainly can feel like it but it’s not like one looses all muscle and fitness level within a few weeks. Keep reminding yourself of that!

What type of chair workouts do you do? Been looking for stuff I could do while studying. And PT exercises are excellent!

My hamstring injury took forever to properly heal and even now (4 years later?) I can still feel it sometimes. But I made the mistake of not taking proper care of it which is why I‘m so strict with it now!

That sounds horrific- I now have developed an allergic reaction to the ibuprofen gel and my skin has blistered 😂😂. It’s funny because it isn’t.

I found two that seem pretty hard going. One by nourishmovelove (she had a torn meniscus at the time) and one by Tracey Steen who also does resistance band workouts that I’ll probably move onto at some point. They are great and have really opened my eyes to different things.

I am currently facing this. Injured my knee about 10 weeks ago. 8 weeks of that spent visiting a physio who repeatedly told me I was "on it too much and that's why it's not healing". He assured me the only way it would heal is if I stayed off it completely.

Eventually (10 days ago) went to a new physio who told me this was terrible advice and not only do I have a knee injury but also now have lost 8 weeks of condition so was worse than before the injury happened 😭

New physio has given me exercises which at least make me feel I'm doing something to help it but I rely on exercise 1000% for my mental health. The fear that it won't get better is always in the back of my mind and just feel very isolated. Everyone on Instagram is out living their best life in the sun and I nearly keel over if I have to stand for more than 2 mins in the queue in Tesco.

It sucks. Hope everyone facing the same heals quickly ♥

• Heart
I am currently facing this. Injured my knee about 10 weeks ago. 8 weeks of that spent visiting a physio who repeatedly told me I was "on it too much and that's why it's not healing". He assured me the only way it would heal is if I stayed off it completely.

Eventually (10 days ago) went to a new physio who told me this was terrible advice and not only do I have a knee injury but also now have lost 8 weeks of condition so was worse than before the injury happened 😭

New physio has given me exercises which at least make me feel I'm doing something to help it but I rely on exercise 1000% for my mental health. The fear that it won't get better is always in the back of my mind and just feel very isolated. Everyone on Instagram is out living their best life in the sun and I nearly keel over if I have to stand for more than 2 mins in the queue in Tesco.

It sucks. Hope everyone facing the same heals quickly ♥
I just want to say ❤ so much to your post. I will reply more in the morning but OMG if someone wrote down my feelings your last paragraph would be it. 🤗😞

• Heart
I just want to say ❤ so much to your post. I will reply more in the morning but OMG if someone wrote down my feelings your last paragraph would be it. 🤗😞
Aww please do! Was amazed when I found this thread which matched exactly what I have been feeling. I'm driving everyone around me bananas. Keep being told to "just distract yourself". Easier said than done when exercise is my method of distraction.

Aww please do! Was amazed when I found this thread which matched exactly what I have been feeling. I'm driving everyone around me bananas. Keep being told to "just distract yourself". Easier said than done when exercise is my method of distraction.
I don’t know what to do with myself. Walking the dog hurts, going upstairs hurts, icing hurts, lying in bed hurts. I am doing my exercises and I can see some improvement (I no longer feel like something is going to ping) but my god, this is tedious af.

Luckily my wife has had serious injuries (knee, back) before so can put up with me but I can’t put up with me. I just want to run. I lie to myself telling myself I can be a cyclist (I spin/spun all the time) but I just don’t think I can. I am panicking about food constantly. Panicking about starting from scratch, panicking about there being a deep seated problem with my knee that needs surgery that no one has picked up on that is causing this, panicking that the me that ran ultras was a different person.

I sit on my bench and lift light dumbbells and do 2 squats with body weight and feel like a fraud.

Pity party over. Peas back in the freezer.

Feel free to moan. I’m here with you ❤.

I don’t know what to do with myself. Walking the dog hurts, going upstairs hurts, icing hurts, lying in bed hurts. I am doing my exercises and I can see some improvement (I no longer feel like something is going to ping) but my god, this is tedious af.

Luckily my wife has had serious injuries (knee, back) before so can put up with me but I can’t put up with me. I just want to run. I lie to myself telling myself I can be a cyclist (I spin/spun all the time) but I just don’t think I can. I am panicking about food constantly. Panicking about starting from scratch, panicking about there being a deep seated problem with my knee that needs surgery that no one has picked up on that is causing this, panicking that the me that ran ultras was a different person.

I sit on my bench and lift light dumbbells and do 2 squats with body weight and feel like a fraud.

Pity party over. Peas back in the freezer.

Feel free to moan. I’m here with you ❤.
Aww I hear you. I'm sat on the couch at the moment with an ice pack on my knee. Started to feel like it was getting slightly stronger with the exercises and then - boom! It's swollen again 😔

So frustrating when these things take so long to heal. I have been blessed to never have an injury before and this entire thing feels like torture. My family and the physio at this point are just kind of like - get on with it, it will heal. I think it's just extra difficult when exercise is your number 1 coping mechanism. I got given new physio exercises last week which caused all manner of weird sensations in my legs and that sent me straight down worry alley. The fear of it not healing is almost worse than the pain itself.

I feel for you. It sucks. At least we are not alone in it. I find myself nearly hoping for an end to the good weather and then at least I won't feel I'm missing out as much 😂 I'm also getting irrationally angry at strangers that I see out running 😂 Jealous of the fact they are able. Injury is turning me into a complete bi*ch