if I host a website and somebody offers to look after your dog and the dog is lost/stolen/dead then who is held responsible?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I asked somebody a question in terms of liability for services provided available from their website.
She tried to make me looks stupid by comparing it to ASDA selling a faulty product and the manufacturer being liable. Which I pointed out to her is not true because you sue the supermarket.
Anyway then she got angry (obvs don’t know the answer) and told me she’s not debating the issue.

But now I need the answer!!! I tried googling it but can’t find the correct info 😬.

So the question is if I host a website and somebody offers to look after your dog and the dog is lost/stolen/dead then who is held responsible? Does the website hold some liability?

This was never my side of law, but from what I can remember from when I was training I would assume that the person who is selling their services to care for a dog is taking custody on the owners permission and they should hold some form of liability insurance, just in case anything were to happen. However I would always implore the host to to provide a disclaimer to state they are not responsible for any website content or services provided though the website to cover their back.

Reactions: 1
I would expect there to be some insurance in place and checks on those walking the dogs and a disclaimer signed before the dog is handed over. Really the if the website has everything in place it can, it’s on the dog walker to be held accountable.

I don't know if it can be said for definite without knowing further details. Depends on the website terms and if it has any disclaimers around liability

See I had a feeling the website might not be held liable but she is actively wanting to encourage people to short term foster pets for people moving over to the UK until pet friendly houses can be found for the owners.
I tried to tell her, although her intentions are noble, this is a recipe for disaster. This will be unregulated so sooner or later the tit will hit the fan. Can you imagine!?!
Ofcourse I would love to help people out but this is the UK and you would need some insurance cover. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️