I want to travel more...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But money and time are limited.

I regret not travelling more in my 20ies. I want to see the world, backpack etc but I'm worried that if we have kids, we will be limited...

Any tips on travelling on a budget will be welcome and appreciated. If you travel a lot, how do you do it?

Do you save? How about annual leave?

Reactions: 2
Depends where you would like to go.
Last year me and my boyfriend picked 4 places we wanted to go long haul. We went to Thailand, Vietnam, Australia and Fiji and it was very expensive, we went for 9 weeks and it was worth every single penny. I was a waitress so was given the time off. Now I work a 9-5 job with the usual 20 days annual leave and 10 public holidays, I still want to travel though. My plan for this is to go one 2 week summer holiday, and then 2 city breaks. This year my plan was Florida and Mexico in the summer, Poland in September and Budapest in December but obviously isn’t working out like that anymore, but it was still giving me the chance to visit 4 different places over the year. Though I want to point out I still live at home
City breaks in Europe can be cheap, I use Expedia and we went to Prague in December last year for £185 per person with flights and hotel, and I spent around £200 there in 3 nights!
Asia can be expensive to get there, but mega cheap when you are there in terms of food and accommodation.
If you are still working just now and are able to, I would use this time to save as we can’t do much with our money apart from food shopping and bills.

hope this helps, I’m not the best at explaining things over text

Reactions: 4
Depends where you would like to go.
Last year me and my boyfriend picked 4 places we wanted to go long haul. We went to Thailand, Vietnam, Australia and Fiji and it was very expensive, we went for 9 weeks and it was worth every single penny. I was a waitress so was given the time off. Now I work a 9-5 job with the usual 20 days annual leave and 10 public holidays, I still want to travel though. My plan for this is to go one 2 week summer holiday, and then 2 city breaks. This year my plan was Florida and Mexico in the summer, Poland in September and Budapest in December but obviously isn’t working out like that anymore, but it was still giving me the chance to visit 4 different places over the year. Though I want to point out I still live at home
City breaks in Europe can be cheap, I use Expedia and we went to Prague in December last year for £185 per person with flights and hotel, and I spent around £200 there in 3 nights!
Asia can be expensive to get there, but mega cheap when you are there in terms of food and accommodation.
If you are still working just now and are able to, I would use this time to save as we can’t do much with our money apart from food shopping and bills.

hope this helps, I’m not the best at explaining things over text
thank you. My plan for this year was two European capitals and a week in Africa (I'm not specific on purpose) , plus another place.

I'd love to do what you did - 9 weeks off and travel. I'm eligible for a 6 months unpaid leave at work, but my other half won't be able to do that.

Even 9 weeks is a lot, because we have pets.

I'm using the lockdown to save, and I've just told me OH that perhaps we shouldn't be buying a bigger house...

Reactions: 1
thank you. My plan for this year was two European capitals and a week in Africa (I'm not specific on purpose) , plus another place.

I'd love to do what you did - 9 weeks off and travel. I'm eligible for a 6 months unpaid leave at work, but my other half won't be able to do that.

Even 9 weeks is a lot, because we have pets.

I'm using the lockdown to save, and I've just told me OH that perhaps we shouldn't be buying a bigger house...
Africa sounds wonderful! STA travel are really good in terms of prices for flights, and they are very knowledgable, the girl who booked everything with us had been everywhere we went and so many more places so it was good to be able to ask questions and get her recommendations. For the European capitals I would look at Expedia packages, you can create an account with them and you get points which you can use against other holidays, you can also get nectar points and we use top cash back also to save more!

Me and my partner travelled for 5 months 3 years ago and loved it that much that in Feb last year we gave up everything to travel for 1 year and we haven't regretted it one bit.

Reactions: 3
Me and my partner travelled for 5 months 3 years ago and loved it that much that in Feb last year we gave up everything to travel for 1 year and we haven't regretted it one bit.
How did you manage it financially? Could you work remotely?

Ive travelled both with and without kids.
I'd definitely get in what you can whilst you don't have them in terms of hot, long haul flights or active trips that would require to sleep in not so safe or nice places.

We travelled around Europe for 10 weeks by car before the kids, went to 19 different countries and it was amazing although tiring. Could never have done it with kids though.
But it was pretty cheap in terms of travel in comparison to flying everywhere but it can be tiring.

My kids are very well travelled for such a young age and I love taking them on holiday but as they're getting older they're becoming more of a nightmare to travel long haul.
Don't let the thought of travelling with kids put you off though, it's very manageable, especially as babies.
Mine were around 8 weeks old for their first holidays, the younger the better.

Reactions: 1
I did a one year working holiday visa in Australia and one in NZ in my twenties. Had saved before I went so I could travel too. Then more recently when my job ended, I took 3 months to travel round Asia. I’m single and have no commitments so it’s somewhat easier but I love it. Gutted at how this year is going as I’d planned a big trip (over 2 weeks) to somewhere new.