How you are related to people

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So say you have a relative where your Dad and their Dad are first cousins. Does that make them first cousin once removed or your second cousin? Or are they the same thing lol.

Also say you meet relatives who were like your Grandma's first cousins kids - are they literally barely related at all? And would they be first cousins twice removed?

I have a massive extended family so I come across these situations and it's hard to work out how you link and what the terms are for it.

I'm not close to them or anything - I think with family first cousins are about as close as I actively stay in touch with. I know some people who don't even keep it touch with their first cousins at all.

Do you bother with any family after the immediate?

Personally i only see majority of my family (aunts uncles cousins their kids etc) at weddings or funerals i know it sounds bad but im not bothered about any of them really there are all quite selfish and dont help out with anything so I try to avoid them all as much as possible.
I'm close with my mum and one of my uncles who I see most weeks. my grandparents and one uncle and one aunt who I was close with are sadly no longer with us.
My husband lost both his parents and only loosely keeps in touch with his half brother who is a knob.

I've a massive side on my mum's side an unfortunately for me it's a close one 😅 I'd prefer not seeing them much to be honest but my mum an her cousins an siblings all constantly go between houses, an then there's in-laws who have been married an pissed off but the kids still keep in touch, an now me an my cousin's (apart from 4) are all grown with many having kids so there's second cousins older than cousins an it just feels like theres bloody kids absolutely everywhere at times 😅

I done a family tree a while ago an it's surprising to see how you relate to everyone, used to watch heir hunters as well to see how they managed to track down possible heirs to people that had passed away, most of the time the heir didn't even know the person

I’m not sure. I know that my cousins children are my first cousins once removed! After that I’m lost!
I have a large extended family on both sides and if there’s a blood link, then you are related. I have meant my parents cousins and met some of their aunts and uncles when they were alive. My mum’s aunt had 12 children so it is constantly expanding really!
I don’t tend to see family members beyond my first cousins and I only see them a few times a year really. My family are scattered all over the UK and the world so there can be gaps of months or years before I see some of my immediate family even. I have an uncle who lives a few hours away that I haven’t seen for years for one reason and another.

I've met my dad's cousin's son his cousins ex wife his cousins children plus his cousins half sibling.

I have no idea how I'm related to them or the answer in the IP.

I have a sixth cousin who is famous and who I’m exceptionally proud of; I see him often. That’s pretty distant but he’s still part of my family and I’m really proud of that.
I only really know two of my first cousins and even so not that well.

First cousins share grandparents, second cousins share great-grandparents, and so on. The ‘removed’ bit comes in when the generations aren’t equal. So if your first cousin has a child, that child is your first cousin once removed. If that child has a child, then that child would then be your first cousin twice removed.
There are charts on the internet that show you at a glance the exact relationship… I’m a genealogist and have been for a couple of decades, but still have to use the charts because maths isn’t my strong point 😂😂

Reactions: 1
My brother's nephew (by marriage, his wife's blood nephew) is an actor and I always call him my nephew when I'm talking about him, he calls me his aunt too but I dunno what relation we actually are.

I have a sixth cousin who is famous and who I’m exceptionally proud of; I see him often. That’s pretty distant but he’s still part of my family and I’m really proud of that.
I only really know two of my first cousins and even so not that well.
Who's the famous sixth cousin and how do you even get to a sixth cousin!

it means that you both have the same 5x great grandparents. Most people don’t know any of their 5x great grandparents though, and you’re doing very well if you know all of them… we have 128 of them after all 😂

I’m kinda related by marriage to David hasselhoff 😂😂😂😂 my grandad’s half siblings are blood related to his current(?) wife. Very tenuous, that’s as famous as my tree gets…(ie, not very!)

Reactions: 1
Roman Kemp. i only found out as he was on DNA journey and they were talking about his 3 x great grandad, who was married to a lady whose maiden name was the same as mine and came from the same area. My maiden name is not hugely common, especially in that particular area and I’ve found mostly that name in that area is connected to my family.
I looked into it and this lady’s uncle is my great x 4 grandad. So his parents, who were also parents to this lady’s dad, are my great x 5 grandparents.

• Haha
Reactions: 3