How do you improve your mental health?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a long post. The last few years have been rough, I ended an abusive relationship around 2 years ago and even though my mental health wasn't great back then, I feel that for the last few weeks especially my mental health is really slipping. I called my GP today and have booked an appointment however its not for 4 weeks so I'm looking to see if anyone has any advice in the meantime such as what you do that really helps your mental health? I get up, go to work, come home, be a mum then find myself watching TV until I go to bed pretty much all week because I'm not motivated at all lately, if I could lie in bed all day lately, I feel like I would and that's just not me. I just feel sad all day, not even about anything specific. I've cried every day for the last 3 weeks. I can easily pop on a smile all day though while I'm around people but as soon as I'm alone, I go to pieces. My job is extremely busy, I don't stop all day so I suppose while I'm in work, I'm just in work mode whereas when I'm not, I'm overthinking. I feel really low and don't know how to drag myself out of it. I'm getting a lot more anxious lately, constantly have a headache and feel tired and not sure how much longer I can pretend that I'm doing OK. I'm just miserable. Sorry that this is such a depressing post. Looking for tips on how people who suffer with mental health or have done previously have made themselves feel better, what helps you?

Thanks for reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I break the mundane routine. I try to plan things, go to the gym/workout at home, I go for walks after dinner with my daughter or stick my headphones in and go alone, take an hour to have a bath and a pamper and talk to my friends etc.

Hi,

I’m sorry you’re feeling so down. Therapy helped me personally. I didn’t see myself living beyond 26.

My brother did antidepressants and no talk therapy though.

Try to eat something. Protein shakes or bars when you’re not feeling it.

I couldn’t do walks daily. Just seemed so arduous.Gentle yoga in bed or whilst sitting is a thing.

Might be slightly more London specific but there’s a list of low cost options for therapy and I would advise maybe contacting more then one to get your name down on different lists.

I just stay in bed when i’m really bad and try to watch movies or anything to get through just one moment at a time. Soft blankets and candles too.

Audiobooks too to get out of my own head.

I have my siblings to lean on and online friends mainly on different forums.

Have also contacted the charity below:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It's hard to want to do anything when your feeling down

I try an do some art/craft stuff, even if it's just mindless doodling on paper an then colouring it in, or painting, colouring, just things I can get lost in, recently learned to crochet as well an I find I enjoy that an it keeps my mind from wandering

When I hit a low point I challenged myself to come up with 6 things that I felt grateful for every day. I would feel very good after completing it!

I find staying in the house all day makes me feel worse. It’s like I’m sitting with those feelings and no other distraction. I take myself out for a walk, even if it’s just to the shop to get my favourite dinner. I know it’s so hard though. But I find distraction to be the best way to ride out those intense feelings

Reactions: 4