Home schooling newbie

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just withdrawn my 11 year old from school. She's in year 7, she's had an absolutely terrible start. She's suspected ADHD/ASD. Primary school was pretty ok, few hiccups but in general ok. Since starting secondary her behaviour has spiralled. Constant suspensions, defiance to sit and do work, back chatting teachers, repeatedly walking out of classes etc. She now completely refuses to go to school and do any of the work they set for her to do at home. School are threatening me with fines and court due to this even though they can see I'm doing all I can to get her to go to school and giving all the support I can.

So I made the decision to remove her from school all together and home school. Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel at a loss right now of where to start with it. Has anybody else made this decision around a similar age? What do your days look like? Routines etc? How do you get them to engage?
I'm aware home schooling isn't about sitting with a pen and paper for 6 hours but I am just a little bit lost.
I want to find my nice, kind, loving child again. I feel like I've lost her since starting secondary and I feel this was the best option at this moment in time.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have just withdrawn my 11 year old from school. She's in year 7, she's had an absolutely terrible start. She's suspected ADHD/ASD. Primary school was pretty ok, few hiccups but in general ok. Since starting secondary her behaviour has spiralled. Constant suspensions, defiance to sit and do work, back chatting teachers, repeatedly walking out of classes etc. She now completely refuses to go to school and do any of the work they set for her to do at home. School are threatening me with fines and court due to this even though they can see I'm doing all I can to get her to go to school and giving all the support I can.

So I made the decision to remove her from school all together and home school. Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel at a loss right now of where to start with it. Has anybody else made this decision around a similar age? What do your days look like? Routines etc? How do you get them to engage?

I'm aware home schooling isn't about sitting with a pen and paper for 6 hours but I am just a little bit lost.

I want to find my nice, kind, loving child again. I feel like I've lost her since starting secondary and I feel this was the best option at this moment in time.

I don't homeschooling, but thought about it so I did look into it, although not secondary. There will no doubt be local home Ed groups on fb you search on there.

I heard the term "deschooling" be thrown about a lot on the groups I joined when I was considering it. I think it's basically where you have a period of time following informal learning, but could be worth reading into a bit more.

Just curious, was she born between april-end of August?

There are also specific programs aimed at disengaged children (I know, I work for one…), who support learning and build confidence and resilience whilst helping you find a more suitable educational environment. There are colleges which support home education by allowing children to come in and have teaching on certain days, and some schools with SEND departments will do the same as well. Depending on where in the country you are there may also be farm schools.
Generally, it is best to keep the child on a traditional timetable (as in “school” 9-3 then free time) so that if they do transition back it’s not as hard (I had one kid try to tell college she would only go in 1-6…) There are online learning programs and tutors, available and some loca authorities will give funding.
if you think it’s going to be short term, focus on English, Maths and life skills.