Help! Anyone like to be my virtual Trinny and Susannah?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have recently lost a fair bit of weight and have finally got round to deciding I need to update my wardrobe. However, I have NO clue what what would suit me, what I should be buying. if any of you lovely clued up people could assist that would be super! I still have a large saggy stomach area so need to disguise that, and bingo wings so don't really fancy any short sleeves. I think I'm an hourglass shape as my waist is defined but larger hips and chest which are near enough equal width.

I am not fussed about the current trends, would just like some clothes that are not leggings, mens jumpers, baggy and from a Supermarket.

Are there any fashion bloggers who are size 12-14 and 5ft8 i could also follow to get some inspiration?!

Thank you!

Xx

first and foremost- invest in some decent underwear. Go and get fitted for a bra and get some control underwear/body shapers - this will be a game changer when you then wear clothes over the top.

High waisted jeans - couple of pairs in a few colours and a few bootcut and a few skinny.
High waisted relaxed fit (“mum” style jeabs
peplum style tops
Wrap over/v neck tops
Wrap over dresses

But a load of neutral stuff that you can then change up the look with jewellery/bags/shoes and things you can layer so that you can wear things over the year.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hey!
Firstly, massive congratulations on your weight loss. I just want to say that you shouldn't ever feel like you should hide any part of you. Whilst we all have bits we'd rather not flaunt, don't ever feel that you can't wear anything because of wobbly tummies or arms.

That being said, I think the biggest tip we can give you is dress for the life you have. I know that sounds ridiculous, but often we look to a celebrity we like the style of, but often their life doesn't match ours. So, whilst we might love to wear things like pencil skirts and tight fitted blouses, if we work from home or wear uniform most of the day and put comfort at the top of our list over style, then these items may just end up gathering dust in our wardrobe. On the same note, have a think about whether or not you're a trouser person or a dress person or a skirt person. I love skirts, but I never wear them and I know I won't wear them so I tend to just bypass that section of the shop now and head towards trousers and dresses which are definitely more up my street.

Another important factor is your skin tone. You remember years ago it was really popular to have your colours read. It's all a bit dated now but it does make a difference knowing what your undertones are and picking colours that complement them because dressing for a shape will only go so far if the colours and making you look washed out. There are loads of tips online of how to work out your skin undertones.

Tops- a quick tip as an hourglass is to avoid sleeves that finish around your bust as these were just as wide as your widest point. I'm an hourglass and I find cap sleeves really unflattering but a princess sleeve or something below the elbow can be really flattering. Or you go the other way and wear a racer style top or a halter neck (not so practical in the winter!).

Trousers-as an hourglass you can choose to accentuate your curves or balance them. Tight skinny jeans are really good investment in a dark denim and black. Otherwise, you can choose a trouser that's wider at the bottom to balance out the top half. Generally, it's better to have something more fitted around the waist and hips that gradually goes out rather than a super balloon shape leg. You're quite tall but somewhere like H&M should be ok lengthwise. They've got a new collection out with woolen trousers. Worth taking a look at the new designer collection because a lot of that is very smart and well suited to an hourglass shape.

Dresses- it's really tempting to go for a really fitted dress or those 1950s shapes when you're an hourglass. If that's your style, then go for it! As an hourglass, it's not really a style that fits my personality. I really like those oversized baggy dresses but they do swamp your shape and can make you look bigger than you are. Absolutely nothing wrong with that- wear what makes you happy! But if I want to accentuate my shape, I either add a little thin belt to those dresses around the waist or wear a denim jacket or a leather jacket that finishes at my waist and fasten that to accentuate my shape.

Hope that helps! I'm trying to use voice to text app so it might read a little flat as it's not great with punctuation, just wanted to join in the conversation as I love these kind of chats!!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Wow thank you both so much!

Yes decent sick in underwear is a must! The first thing tobgrt I think.

Yes you're quite right, I'd love to wear the pencil skirts 60s look but as the only place I go at the moment is morrisons, I don't think it's suitable!

I'm pale with red hair, so tried to get a few green/blue colours, however I am a goth girl at heart as I love my black!

I've got some bits in a next basket, any good?! If they are dreadful, please say so! Just gone with next as have a voucher to use and a shop nearby for returns!

I had a look at dresses but still not sure, what would go with DMS?! I'd love to wear them with some amazing heels but they will just be added to the collection in my wardrobe of never worn!

Attachments

• Heart
Hey!

Ooh, sounds like we're quite similar style wise! You can definitely do 'grown up goth'. I've attached some images along with some ideas for wearing DMs and dresses. Tea dresses look amazing with DMs and can be nipped in at the waist. Don't have to be as short as ones in the pictures but just as an idea. And can add a black polo neck under for winter.

If you look at your veins' on your wrists. If they look really blue then you're cool toned, if they look green you're warm toned (incidentally I'm very pale but am actually olive toned due to being from southern Europe heritage which is a whole other ball ache 😂). Your colouring sounds amazing 💖

I think the skinny jeans in the basket would look great with DMs. Try the bootlegs and see what you think but I find them hard to style with the right shoe! The green top has a nice tie in at the waist so worth trying but I personally would find the sleeves hit me at the wrong point but they may work on you so worth a try (I'm really quite busty -39-28-40 and 34F).

If you search for giuliva heritage x h&m on h&m (a lot has sold out)but you can just see the silhouette that would look great on an hour glass even if the colours/ styling isn't what you'd plump for. Kind of 'got my life together' winter chic.

Primark do some really nice polo necks and jumpers that are not too bulky in a nice stretchy wooly fabric that look cool goth'd up with skinny jeans and boots.

If you do want to avoid anything clingy on the stomach area, I find a slightly oversized t shirt/jumper in a French tuck (thank god I got that the right way round 😱) draws attention to your waist but allows you some 'breathing' room.

A cool way to get a good silhouette is to dress in one colour. We tend to do it with black but head to toe in any colour can look really cool. So, once you know if you're cool or warm toned you could pick a aubergine shirt/top and trouser combination of emerald green. Just looks really chic. I love black and find adding texture stops it looking like you're trying to be a mime. So, a denim jean and woolen top with a leather jacket and docs looks cool.without looking flat.

And finally, a trench coat is always a nice addition to an hourglasses winter wardrobe. It's important the belt hits you on the waist. I'm 5ft10 so find ASOS tall good for them but have to say Primark has had some ace ones in recent years so worth waiting until a few weeks into September and seeing what they have (if you're ok with that at the moment).

Exciting stuff!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh those outfits are gorgeous!! Love love the black dress!

Never even thought about a polo under a dress, what a good idea! . I'm going to need to win the lottery!

Oh gosh, pale skin olive tones must be a nightmare for foundation?!

When you said that about the sleeves I did think about taking it out, but it was the only thing really with a bit of colour! I'll give it a bash but reckon I will have the same concerns as you as have similar measurements.

That collection is lovely, just looks effortless!

Ooh good idea about the French tuck! (I had to have a Google!) That was what I had seen on the next website and thought I would try that with some of the tops in the basket.

Oh I love trench coats. They always seem so elegant and "grown up".

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have really given me some good ideas.

Xxxx

Eek I think my partner would have a fit if I wore a different colour all over!! Ill have to try with some darker shades and work my way up to an emerald green as I do like that colour.

• Heart
first and foremost- invest in some decent underwear. Go and get fitted for a bra and get some control underwear/body shapers - this will be a game changer when you then wear clothes over the top.

High waisted jeans - couple of pairs in a few colours and a few bootcut and a few skinny.
High waisted relaxed fit (“mum” style jeabs
peplum style tops
Wrap over/v neck tops
Wrap over dresses

But a load of neutral stuff that you can then change up the look with jewellery/bags/shoes and things you can layer so that you can wear things over the year.
Just FYI peplums aren’t usually great on hourglass shapes, they’re better suited for those with more on top than bottom to give the illusion of hips and to even body shape out.

If you’re hourglass then you’ve already got hips wider than your waist so last thing you need is something to throw off the balance :)

Reactions: 2
Just FYI peplums aren’t usually great on hourglass shapes, they’re better suited for those with more on top than bottom to give the illusion of hips and to even body shape out.

If you’re hourglass then you’ve already got hips wider than your waist so last thing you need is something to throw off the balance :)
Makes sense! I think I have one in my basket, so I'll try it on and see. Yes, don't need to make me hips seem any wider....! X