Hedgehogs, Waifs and Strays

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have posted this thread as some of us on another thread by accident mentioned we have hedgehog friends. Who like to visit and we are happy to feed them. Does anyone else have any regular prickly visitors?

Some have also adopted other waifs and strays, our first cat chose us when my partner went to empty a barn on a farm years ago, one of the wild kittens climbed in the van and refused to leave. We had him 12 years in the end.

All lovers of wild waifs and strays welcome to chat ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm a member of various "eco" facebook groups and they're forever advocating drilling "hedgehog tunnels" in the bottom of garden fences so that the little spiky cutenesses can shuffle from one place to another!

• Heart
I'm a member of various "eco" facebook groups and they're forever advocating drilling "hedgehog tunnels" in the bottom of garden fences so that the little spiky cutenesses can shuffle from one place to another!
I have only seen this recently and have already made a tunnel on either side of the garden :) We've only seen hedgies in our garden on a handful of occasions but I'd like it to be a safe haven for any that do make it our way!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My mom has a fox that comes by her house every night to see if there is any cat food left outside. She has a stray cat that comes by every day and what ever it doesn't eat, the fox cleans it up.

Reactions: 4
A fox ran into my garden a few months ago. It circled the garden, scaled the fence and curled up on the roof of a neighbours shed. Exciting!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm so glad you hedgie lovers have holes in your fences - I do too, just so they still have plenty of territory to roam. I've taken all my panels down and just have wire fencing anyway, so it wasn't hard to do. I saw on a programme a while ago that numbers are in decline and they MAY become extinct in as little as 10 years, poor little things :(

I have 5 that visit at the moment - a mum & baby (this years) plus 3 that come together, last years babies I think. They steal the cat food & biscuits (the cat doesn't mind) and we put mealworms, fruit (chopped apple) and water out for them. We have a 'Hog House' in a quiet corner of the garden for them to sleep in during the winter but the awkward little devils like it better sleeping under the overgrown bush at the side of my driveway - no pleasing some is there :ROFLMAO:

The baby is hilarious, a right little character already - when the cat's dish is empty, he sits looking at me as if to say 'are you filling this up again then?'.

@Anfield Annie - if your clever little thief appears tonight again, let us know! 🦔🐾🦔🐾

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
We have a family of badgers (I’ve seen 3 of them), that use the gardens as their personal highway. There’s various gaps in the hedge that they squeeze through, and then they go under the fence into the next garden. I don’t know where they go, but they’re back and forth several times during the night.

Reactions: 1
We have a family of badgers (I’ve seen 3 of them), that use the gardens as their personal highway. There’s various gaps in the hedge that they squeeze through, and then they go under the fence into the next garden. I don’t know where they go, but they’re back and forth several times during the night.
There are badgers where we go on holiday, they just roam down the middle of the road when it's all quiet at night without a care in the world. They're like the hedgies, must have regular territories they patrol because they always come out at the same time at night & go the same way.

Reactions: 2