Green and Sustainable living

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This’ll be a rubbish intro post sorry.

Basically some space to discuss sustainable living, choices you’re making, great Insta accounts to follow and then the crappy green washing ones that just evolve into whatever new fad is big on Insta.

Does this make any sense at all?! 😂😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes! Like Less Waste Laura who is great. I'm really into sustainability and eco living so follow loads of these types accounts. Will try and think of a few more good ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Would love to know if anyone has any septic tank friendly alternatives to bleach for their loos and sinks pls? It’s a lifelong love I’m gonna have to break up with! 😔

Reactions: 1
Venetia Falcona ( I mean La Manna) and her husband Max are both pretty legitimate I think.

Her sister Rosanna is getting more and more into sustainable fashion- renting etc.

Would love to know if anyone has any septic tank friendly alternatives to bleach for their loos and sinks pls? It’s a lifelong love I’m gonna have to break up with! 😔
I use baking soda and vinegar.

(not diluted with water and not warmed 😉)

• Heart
Michelle Ogundehin talks a lot about eco friendly alternatives for cleaning and reducing plastic waste.

Hi!
I was wondering what everyone is doing to live a little bit more conscious or green to help the planet we are one.

No meat? Vegan? Only showers 2 a week or do you take your bike everywhere?

Reactions: 4
Things I do are
- using reusable sanitary products
- meat free Mondays (if not on Monday a different day of the week)
- wild deodorant (no plastics or waste
- no household cleaning wipes just a cloth that can be washed
- reusable food wraps instead of cling film
- reusable shopping bags
- air dry clothing

I’m sure there’s more but that’s just off the top of my head. I’m not perfect by any means - I take long showers as I enjoy them 😂 and drive most days but I think it’s better every single person does one thing, than expect one person to do every single thing! ☺

Reactions: 9
Things I do are
- using reusable sanitary products
- meat free Mondays (if not on Monday a different day of the week)
- wild deodorant (no plastics or waste
- no household cleaning wipes just a cloth that can be washed
- reusable food wraps instead of cling film
- reusable shopping bags
- air dry clothing

I’m sure there’s more but that’s just off the top of my head. I’m not perfect by any means - I take long showers as I enjoy them 😂 and drive most days but I think it’s better every single person does one thing, than expect one person to do every single thing! ☺
do you have any recommendations for reusable sanitary products? I've been looking but none have caught my eye.

do you have any recommendations for reusable sanitary products? I've been looking but none have caught my eye.
I have tried almost everything and my favourite is the period pants! So comfortable. My favourite ones are M&S as they’re a decent price and also really comfortable and wash perfectly, but there are loads of brands out there if you wanted to shop around. I bought one pair first to try them and ended up going back and getting enough to last me through my period as I loved them so much, it’s handy too because a lot of their stores stock them now!

I have also tried the reusable pads and really liked them too my favourite brand for them was a small business called wear em out.

• Heart
I would like to be greener in my lifestyle. I bought one of those eco egg washing machine things which is supposed to replace washing pods and washing powder but I didnt think it cleaned my clothes as well. Also it is plastic!
I try to not buy plastics if there is a reasonable priced workable alternative. I craft but use mainly acrylic yarn. Wool shrinks so easily and is more expensive. I may try bamboo yarn if it is not too expensive and contains no plastic.
My diet is heavily meat based wont change that as not a fan of many vegetables.
I recycle and upcycle where possible.

Reactions: 2
I mainly:
use reusable period pants/pads
Cloths instead of wipes or kitchen roll (but it's taking time to convert the husband)
Cloths/reusable pads for nake up removal
I don't shower every day
Try not to bring plastic in to the house but it is hard
We try to resell/give away/donate things instead of wasting them
Trying more eco cleaning methods. I have always hated bleach so don't buy that but use green bleach
I'm using up a huge roll of clingfilm my mum got me (she works in a supermarket and gets bargains sometimes) and once that's gone it's strictly beeswax wraps and pots no clingfilm or foil

I love Nancy Birtwistle for tips. She won bake off a while ago but now lives very green and has 2 books on green living 😊

Thanks everyone! I really like to live more green.
I only eat meat when I go out.
Try to ride my bike as much as possible.

It al got me thinking because of all the plastic I bring in the house, I hate it.
Do feel that a lot of eco products are expensive though.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I agree sometimes it really is a huge expense. A lot of things I’ve found it’s usually a bigger upfront cost but long term more cost effective (which isn’t ideal for a lot of people for committing bigger amounts up front) I.e the period pants can be pricy but long term I save every month as I’m not doing any extra washing by throwing them into the washing machine. Same with the deodorant I use it’s expensive initially buying a holder and then the refills but long term it definitely lasts longer than the spray!

I think if these things were more affordable initially then it would encourage more people too.

v interested in living as green and sustainable as possible so here are some things I do:
- I don't eat meat
- I have a sodastream so I'm not buying bottles of sparkling water
- I take tote bags with me everywhere to avoid me needing a plastic one
- I bring a flask/bottle with me everywhere so I can fill them with coffee or water instead of takeaway cups
- I buy a lot of things second hand, thrifted etc
- I do not shop at places like PLT, Shein, etc
- I will do no more than 2 or 3 loads of washing a week, I will never tumbledry anything
- I don't charge any electronics overnight or when I'm out
- I walk almost everywhere possible (if it takes less than 50 mins i'm walking)
- I use reusable / washable cleaning cloths

I'm sure there's loads more I've missed out but I'm gonna be following to see what everyone else does for tips 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 6
v interested in living as green and sustainable as possible so here are some things I do:
- I don't eat meat
- I have a sodastream so I'm not buying bottles of sparkling water
- I take tote bags with me everywhere to avoid me needing a plastic one
- I bring a flask/bottle with me everywhere so I can fill them with coffee or water instead of takeaway cups
- I buy a lot of things second hand, thrifted etc
- I do not shop at places like PLT, Shein, etc
- I will do no more than 2 or 3 loads of washing a week, I will never tumbledry anything
- I don't charge any electronics overnight or when I'm out
- I walk almost everywhere possible (if it takes less than 50 mins i'm walking)
- I use reusable / washable cleaning cloths

I'm sure there's loads more I've missed out but I'm gonna be following to see what everyone else does for tips 😊
Why no charing during the night? Because it would be on the charger longer then it should be?
Where do you find second hand clothes?

Vinted is great for second hand clothes! I sell all my old clothes on there too instead of binning and any I can’t sell are donated

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Why no charing during the night? Because it would be on the charger longer then it should be?
Where do you find second hand clothes?
tbh I don't know if there's any fact behind this but it just using electricity and wasting it when i don't need it - it only takes an hour or so to charge a phone/laptop so I try not to exceed that.
For clothes I buy and sell a lot online, vinted, vestiaire, etsy etc. Vinted is the cheapest and you can almost always negotiate 😊

• Heart