Gluten Free - Help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Most of the haribo sweets are, the Halloween bags I bought definitely are. Maom sweets, swizzel lollipops and their chewy ones are gluten free. Galaxy chocolate, wispas, flakes, twirls, buttons are ok. Snickers are gf too.
Ones to avoid are malteasers, mars bars, Milky Way bars, toffee crisps, anything with wafers in. I hope that helps.
Ah you are brilliant. Thank you so much for all of that info 👍🏻

Ah you are brilliant. Thank you so much for all of that info 👍🏻
I've been coeliac 16 years now. The improvement compared to when I was first diagnosed. People actually know what gluten is now!
Sweet wise, much of the normal gummy sweets are gf just look out for things like laces. Wouldn't risk pick and mix due to cross contamination.

Reactions: 2
I meant 3 for £10 🤦🏽‍♀️

M&S do the tastiest gluten free chicken goujons. You’d never know they were gluten free - lots in a pack and they’re always on the 3 for £12 offer and they freeze. Their free from fish fingers are brilliant too.
Tesco pasta and gravy mix are better than the other supermarkets in my opinion 👍🏼
I meant 3 for £10 🤦🏽‍♀️

I am not gluten free but my mum is and I remember her saying that many of the Tesco own brand cereals are gluten free - do make sure to check this though as she isn't a terribly vigilant coeliac and as I say, have never verified.

Also - M&S do great gluten free stuff. I've bought it before as it was reduced, fish cakes, goujons etc and they taste great. No different to non gluten free.

My eldest has just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and I was wondering if there are any other celiacs here who could help me out with tips, brands to use, things you wouldn’t of known to avoid. She’s really fussy with food so I can see it’s going to be a difficult transition and I’m dreading it!
Thank you in advance
Obviously, avoid regular flour. Vingear contains gluten as well. You can get snacks like gluten free Porridge, MOMA do a gluten free option. Waitrose do some good Gluten Free options, and Charlie Bigham's do some gluten free ready meals.

You can create some great dishes at home that are gluten free though. A chilli con carne, a cottage pie, a curry. These dishes are easy to make gluten free.

Be aware of gluten in things like sausages and burgers, which are often made using breadcrumbs. Many soups and cheese sauces use flour too.

If ordering a takeaway, I find Deliveroo is good for labelling allergens, but Just Eat is a little generic.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend joining Coeliac UK - full of useful info and they have an app which enables you to scan bar codes to check the gluten contents (Gluten Free Food Checker)

Reactions: 1
Obviously, avoid regular flour. Vingear contains gluten as well. You can get snacks like gluten free Porridge, MOMA do a gluten free option. Waitrose do some good Gluten Free options, and Charlie Bigham's do some gluten free ready meals.

You can create some great dishes at home that are gluten free though. A chilli con carne, a cottage pie, a curry. These dishes are easy to make gluten free.

Be aware of gluten in things like sausages and burgers, which are often made using breadcrumbs. Many soups and cheese sauces use flour too.

If ordering a takeaway, I find Deliveroo is good for labelling allergens, but Just Eat is a little generic.
All vinegar is gluten free in the uk, including barley malt vinegar. Coeliac uk has confirmed this. :)

There is a brand (Aspall do a malt vinegar) and it did say on the label not gluten free so do double check!
If something says not gluten free then probably best to avoid it, although it could be that they’ve just never had it tested so they don’t know, but as a general rule, vinegar in the uk is always gluten free. There’s quite a few chippys that will offer “gluten free vinegar” even though the vinegar they usually use doesn’t even have any barley in, which is always interesting. :)

I am coeliac - I was diagnosed five years ago, in my mid-forties, so it has really tipped my whole life upside down in many respects.

My key pieces of advice are:
  1. Schedule a visit to see a dietician, who will be able to design a range of meal options
  2. Join up to https://www.celiac.com/forums/ - although US-based, a lot of the content is still relevant and the posters are generally helpful and informative, not snarky
You do have to be very careful about buying ready-made meals and sauces, etc., that claim they are gluten-free, as often they've been cross-contaminated with products that are not gluten-free (this is especially true in the case of large manufacturers). On the cross-contamination point, it's important that your celiac avoids coming into contact with any utensils, cutting boards, etc., that have had glutenous products on them (once they've been in the dishwasher, they're good to go). A separate toaster is a must.

Check everything!!! Some things have gluten in which you wouldn’t expect. A lot of sauces and seasoning do.
On a side note, Zizzi do amazing gluten free pizzas.

Highly recommended Becky Excell, she has a blog with the most amazing recipes. She’s on Facebook and Instagram as well

Reactions: 3
Highly recommended Becky Excell, she has a blog with the most amazing recipes. She’s on Facebook and Instagram as well
Oh yes, Becky’s recipes are the best! Her pancake recipe always gives me the most perfect fluffy pancakes 😍

Reactions: 1
Lidl do the best gluten free sausages 🙌🏻 and they also do fresh (not frozen) gluten free meatballs and burgers which are lush! And also gluten free chocolate digestives. Also second the M&S recommendation! Brilliant 'kids favourites'- chicken goujons, fish fingers etc. I would also say to make the most of everything on offer to you-or your daughter- such as food on prescription (I'm Wales so may be slightly different), free flu and pneumonia jabs, dietician appointments etc. It's tough at first but it does get easier. The toughest thing I find is parties where they have a buffet as they always seem to be plates of battered and breadcrumbs food, sandwiches, cakes etc, so just be prepared for those situations so your daughter doesn't feel left out.

I have coeliac disease and was diagnosed at age 19. I've found Asda and Morrisons have really good prices at the moment for GF stuff. The Gluten Free Cuppa Tea blog (Becky Excell on Instagram) has somereally good recipes and the yorkshire pudding recipe is amazing, you wouldn't know it was GF.

Birds Eye do GF fish fingers and Aldi have GF ones in the fridge section.

Make sure to have a seperate butter too to avoid contamination. I just use a marker to label it GF.