Glorifying serial killers.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s everyone’s take on this at the moment? Lots of talk around the endless films and Netflix docs coming out around various serial killers. Do you think this glorifies them? Does it influence young people or even old? Along with all the YouTubers creating true crime content, do we give to much media coverage to these people?

Also seen in recent years a climb in kids committing mass shootings to gain notoriety. Is this due to the media worship we see on a daily? Should these people be banished from the public eye to stop this problem?

I’m a huge true crime buff, have been way before the recent trend.. so I’m interested to hear your opinions on the topic.. it seems to divide people so let’s see what you all think. Do you enjoy all the true crime coverage at the moment or is it over kill (excuse the pun)🤦‍♀️ is it having a negative impact on wider society?

out of the ones you have seen, what one has had the biggest impact on you?

discuss…

Reactions: 1
I used to watch Homicide Hunter with Lt Joe Kenda quite a lot, which featured cases from his long career in Colorado Springs PD.
As far as serial killer shows go, ones like Des on ITV, about Denis Nielsen were good, but I don't avidly watch a lot of documentaries on them, can be a bit ghoulish I feel.
But it's difficult not to be interested in them too, if that makes sense.

On a side note, that bastard Peter Tobin died today, hopefully in agony.

Reactions: 3
I think serial killer content has always been available and there have always been loonies who glorified them. The difference is that Netflix has made that content widely available to younger and younger people who also go around making their own content, so it's a mindless proliferation right now.

Personally I don't find serial killers fascinating, more so the process of catching them, so when Youtube first launched I watched documentaries on pretty much all of the most widely known ones and saw how they were caught, but I searched for it myself - it wasn't shoved in my face the way Netflix is shoving it in people's faces.

Reactions: 2
I think serial killer content has always been available and there have always been loonies who glorified them. The difference is that Netflix has made that content widely available to younger and younger people who also go around making their own content, so it's a mindless proliferation right now.

Personally I don't find serial killers fascinating, more so the process of catching them, so when Youtube first launched I watched documentaries on pretty much all of the most widely known ones and saw how they were caught, but I searched for it myself - it wasn't shoved in my face the way Netflix is shoving it in people's faces.
its everywhere at the moment . There is a new one coming out soon on channel 5 called Maxine, all about Maxine carr, it’s not only Netflix. It’s pretty much every single channel jumping on it.
Soon there will be a series on just about every serial killer there has been! If you like the process of catching people, you’d like a YouTube channel called explore with us. It covers everything in depth, they can be long but they go over the interrogations, the outcomes etc etc.

Reactions: 1
I definitely think they are glorified especially now with things like Crime Con. How horrible for the victims and their families that there is a convention that is specifically for discussion regarding crimes people have committed against them or their loved ones. I do like true crime but more so because I am fascinated by how the police catch these people (or don’t in some cases) not because I have love or respect for the perpetrators.

Reactions: 5
I think a lot of the Netflix ones desensitize people to the actual crimes they committed. Not just the killings, like the actual grizzly details. It almost paints them in a sort of mythical, fictional way. I've seen a lot of casual discussions online of which serial killer people like best, as if it was the series of Halloween movies or something.

I don't think this is all new though, old school youtube was weirdly full of serial killer tribute videos. Then of course even further back there's the people who wrote to them and sent them stuff when they were in prison. People are just attracted to the morbid.

Reactions: 7