Getting signed off sick

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone been through the process of being signed off work for MH reasons?

i’m back at work tomorrow after taking some annual leave and I just can’t bare the thought of going back. Covid and working from home is absolutely battering my mental health. I can’t be bothered to get out of bed on a morning and just can’t focus at work, I’m now sat thinking of all the things I have to do at work this week and I just feel so bloody overwhelmed, even though my workload isn’t even that big. I just feel like I’m doing crap at work at the moment.

I’ve suffered with anxiety/depression in the past and I’ve had anxiety from being very young but it’s almost just become part of my personality so I’ve been used to it, but I feel like it’s at its all time worst at the moment and I just need some time off work to get my head together. However, I just feel so guilty because I’m in a stable job that won’t be affected by coronavirus, and I think of all the people out there who would love to be working in a secure job right now, it just makes me feel very selfish😢.

My work have also been great at checking in on everyone’s mental health, and because I’m a people pleaser I’ve been telling everyone I’m coping fine when I haven’t been. I just feel embarrassed to go off work with MH issues because then I know people will be talking and I feel it’ll make it even harder to go back after a few weeks off.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry you’re feeling this way, just wanted to say I’ve felt similar lately so I don’t think it’s unusual. I also think the thought of it is always worse than the reality and because you’ve had some annual leave it will be making it worse. Obviously only you can make the call but how about doing one day and see if it’s as bad as you thought? Then you can make the call about needing time off 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 2
In the meantime make a list of all the things you have to do, and see if anything can be pushed back or isn’t urgent, and go from there. It’s easier to see the lay of the land when it’s down on paper, and then you can check it off once it’s done.
I’m in a similar position, if anything I’m actually busier because I’m working from home and the company’s decided that we’re rebranding during a virus. It’s important to step back and look at the bigger picture.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Sorry you’re feeling this way, just wanted to say I’ve felt similar lately so I don’t think it’s unusual. I also think the thought of it is always worse than the reality and because you’ve had some annual leave it will be making it worse. Obviously only you can make the call but how about doing one day and see if it’s as bad as you thought? Then you can make the call about needing time off 😊
yep coming back from leave always does feel worse doesn’t it! I think I’ll log on tomorrow but ring the docs first thing in the morning and see if I can speak with a GP ASAP, I just feel useless at the moment and know that my work isn’t up to scratch because of my racing mind!

In the meantime make a list of all the things you have to do, and see if anything can be pushed back or isn’t urgent, and go from there. It’s easier to see the lay of the land when it’s down on paper, and then you can check it off once it’s done.
I’m in a similar position, if anything I’m actually busier because I’m working from home and the company’s decided that we’re rebranding during a virus. It’s important to step back and look at the bigger picture.
Writing a list is a good idea, I usually have a mental to-do-list which means that I have things constantly racing through my mind :(. I don’t even think my workload is much bigger since wfh but not being able to grab somebody at their desk to ask a quick question about something just makes even menial tasks seem like a bigger deal

• Heart
Did you end up going back to work? How are you feeling now?

I’ve suffered from depression in the past and although sometimes I needed time off work; sometimes being at work helped as it gave me something to focus on and give me a reason to get up.

It sounds like your employer has been quite supportive but do be honest if you’re not coping. Don’t feel embarrassed if you need to take time off. You don’t have to tell anyone the reason surely, it’s between you and the doctor x

Sorry your feeling this way! I’ve been experience the same kinda emotions. I was laid off on Thursday till September and covid has sent my anxiety heywirer and now having no form of steady income is making it 10 time’s worse. I spoke with my doctor about this and he even said it can be a tricky thing right now to get people to signed off but he wasn’t a very helpful doctor. Have you considered talking therapies? They are writing a letter for me to give to my work too stating that my mental health isn’t great right now so this could be an option too.

• Heart
Sorry your feeling this way! I’ve been experience the same kinda emotions. I was laid off on Thursday till September and covid has sent my anxiety heywirer and now having no form of steady income is making it 10 time’s worse. I spoke with my doctor about this and he even said it can be a tricky thing right now to get people to signed off but he wasn’t a very helpful doctor. Have you considered talking therapies? They are writing a letter for me to give to my work too stating that my mental health isn’t great right now so this could be an option too.
Sorry you are struggling too ❤

• Heart
Has anyone been through the process of being signed off work for MH reasons?

i’m back at work tomorrow after taking some annual leave and I just can’t bare the thought of going back. Covid and working from home is absolutely battering my mental health. I can’t be bothered to get out of bed on a morning and just can’t focus at work, I’m now sat thinking of all the things I have to do at work this week and I just feel so bloody overwhelmed, even though my workload isn’t even that big. I just feel like I’m doing crap at work at the moment.

I’ve suffered with anxiety/depression in the past and I’ve had anxiety from being very young but it’s almost just become part of my personality so I’ve been used to it, but I feel like it’s at its all time worst at the moment and I just need some time off work to get my head together. However, I just feel so guilty because I’m in a stable job that won’t be affected by coronavirus, and I think of all the people out there who would love to be working in a secure job right now, it just makes me feel very selfish😢.

My work have also been great at checking in on everyone’s mental health, and because I’m a people pleaser I’ve been telling everyone I’m coping fine when I haven’t been. I just feel embarrassed to go off work with MH issues because then I know people will be talking and I feel it’ll make it even harder to go back after a few weeks off.
Sorry to hear you’re struggling. I was signed off last year for 2 weeks. It was so so difficult telling my boss but he was actually great, and going back was really difficult- I kept thinking everyone would be talking about me, I wouldn’t have a job to go back to because they would have found my mistakes. But that didn’t happen (one person did talk about me- but she was a vile woman, a bully, and on reflection I have recognised she played a part in my problems- thankfully she is no longer with the company) . I’ve also been in work when someone else has been signed off sick with MH issues and nobody talked about it or speculated.
You’re not selfish for needing the time off, it’s your health. I too suffered from anxiety from a young age but last year it was different, and had gone from being part of me to taking over my whole life.
It is difficult going back from annual leave- maybe go to work tomorrow and see how it goes. Speak to your GP, and if you need the time off take it. 💕

Did you end up going back to work? How are you feeling now?

I’ve suffered from depression in the past and although sometimes I needed time off work; sometimes being at work helped as it gave me something to focus on and give me a reason to get up.

It sounds like your employer has been quite supportive but do be honest if you’re not coping. Don’t feel embarrassed if you need to take time off. You don’t have to tell anyone the reason surely, it’s between you and the doctor x
I’m supposed to be back tomorrow but my mind is racing and doing overtime. Spoken to a friend who is was off not long ago and she suggest self certifying for the rest of the week and speaking to the docs so that’s what I’m going to do. I’d love nothing more than to be able to log on tomorrow and get on with it but I just don’t have the mental strength at the moment :(

Sorry to hear you’re struggling. I was signed off last year for 2 weeks. It was so so difficult telling my boss but he was actually great, and going back was really difficult- I kept thinking everyone would be talking about me, I wouldn’t have a job to go back to because they would have found my mistakes. But that didn’t happen (one person did talk about me- but she was a vile woman, a bully, and on reflection I have recognised she played a part in my problems- thankfully she is no longer with the company) . I’ve also been in work when someone else has been signed off sick with MH issues and nobody talked about it or speculated.
You’re not selfish for needing the time off, it’s your health. I too suffered from anxiety from a young age but last year it was different, and had gone from being part of me to taking over my whole life.
It is difficult going back from annual leave- maybe go to work tomorrow and see how it goes. Speak to your GP, and if you need the time off take it. 💕
What you said is so true, I’ve always lived with anxiety but it’s consuming me right now. It’s so silly but I have anxiety over being off work for an extended period and coming back wondering who’s been talking. But hopefully because we’re all working from home people won’t chat as much as they can’t physically see me anyway💗

I’m supposed to be back tomorrow but my mind is racing and doing overtime. Spoken to a friend who is was off not long ago and she suggest self certifying for the rest of the week and speaking to the docs so that’s what I’m going to do. I’d love nothing more than to be able to log on tomorrow and get on with it but I just don’t have the mental strength at the moment :(

What you said is so true, I’ve always lived with anxiety but it’s consuming me right now. It’s so silly but I have anxiety over being off work for an extended period and coming back wondering who’s been talking. But hopefully because we’re all working from home people won’t chat as much as they can’t physically see me anyway💗
That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully the time off helps x

That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully the time off helps x
Now I just have huge anxiety over having to email my boss in the morning to tell him I’m taking the rest of the week off for mental health, as it probably seems very out of the blue as I always force myself to be cheery and rarely speak up when struggling. Oh well🙄 just going to turn my laptop off and forget about work for the week and concentrate on me

Now I just have huge anxiety over having to email my boss in the morning to tell him I’m taking the rest of the week off for mental health, as it probably seems very out of the blue as I always force myself to be cheery and rarely speak up when struggling. Oh well🙄 just going to turn my laptop off and forget about work for the week and concentrate on me
Are they likely to be supportive? I’m not trying to worry you further but when I’ve been open about my mental health struggles in the past it hasn’t been well received.

Are they likely to be supportive? I’m not trying to worry you further but when I’ve been open about my mental health struggles in the past it hasn’t been well received.
Yes! It’s a govt department too so they will follow proper protocol too etc. A friend was recently off sick long term and they were great with her, offering a phased return etc

• Heart
Yes! It’s a govt department too so they will follow proper protocol too etc. A friend was recently off sick long term and they were great with her, offering a phased return etc
Oh good to hear. Take the time you need and do some nice things for yourself x