Gallstones

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anybody here ever have gallstones?? Any advice, other than avoiding fatty foods, which I am doing. Cocodamol and buscopan seem to make the pain go within an hour or so now. But I’m always on edge now , struggle to sleep scared I’ll awake in the pain. Terrified to eat in case it sets the pain off. It’s controlling my life and making me miserable. I’m sure anyone who’s had them knows the pain, for me it’s a million times worse than childbirth (and my little one is only 12 weeks so that’s still fresh in my mind too). Anyone had gallbladder out? Did it help? Can you now eat what you like again for example a kfc or Nando’s as a treat every now and again etc. Xx

Anybody here ever have gallstones?? Any advice, other than avoiding fatty foods, which I am doing. Cocodamol and buscopan seem to make the pain go within an hour or so now. But I’m always on edge now , struggle to sleep scared I’ll awake in the pain. Terrified to eat in case it sets the pain off. It’s controlling my life and making me miserable. I’m sure anyone who’s had them knows the pain, for me it’s a million times worse than childbirth (and my little one is only 12 weeks so that’s still fresh in my mind too). Anyone had gallbladder out? Did it help? Can you now eat what you like again for example a kfc or Nando’s as a treat every now and again etc. Xx
I’ve had my gallbladder out, felt instant relief and haven’t had a problem eating anything since (5 years ago!) is always recommend having it out, the pain for me just got worse over time and nothing helped in the end xx

Reactions: 1
I’m having my gallbladder out next month. As soon as it was confirmed as gallstones (ultrasound scan) the GP referred me. Probably 6 months since my initial appointment about it. It will be such a relief. Done via keyhole surgery (3/4 incisions) and you can go home later the same day apparently.

Apples, apple cider vinegar in apple juice helps to relieve the pain along with a hot water bottle...

I had it so bad about 5 years ago, never ever felt pain like it! I didn’t have them out but I did drastically change my diet. I found ice cream, cheese and pork where the biggest offenders. I cut those out completely and not had an attack since. Good luck!

I had it so bad about 5 years ago, never ever felt pain like it! I didn’t have them out but I did drastically change my diet. I found ice cream, cheese and pork where the biggest offenders. I cut those out completely and not had an attack since. Good luck!
Gallstones are agony. I had mine out by keyhole surgery and it was the best thing to do. It's not major surgery and you should be healed and back to normal within a few weeks. I feel your pain 😣

I’m having my gallbladder out next month. As soon as it was confirmed as gallstones (ultrasound scan) the GP referred me. Probably 6 months since my initial appointment about it. It will be such a relief. Done via keyhole surgery (3/4 incisions) and you can go home later the same day apparently.
I cannot wait to be at your stage! I’m still awaiting my ultrasound scan but I’m certain it’s gallstones xx

I had my gallbladder out nearly 6 years ago. Prior to that I had attacks all the time. But because I didn’t fit the stereotype (I was extremely underweight) it was never picked up. A trip to a&e by blue lights as I thought I was having a heart attack, referred pain in arm and shoulder and couldn’t breathe (so did the paramedics) they were confirmed. I had it removed about 2 months after that. Before hand I couldn’t tell you a trigger. But now I still can’t eat high fat or high salt foods without being violently ill (both ends!) so that’s any pork product (I love bacon as well) and dairy that I know I can’t eat. Obviously now I can go about my day normally. But I have to avoid certain things as now my stomach can’t process certain things

i had mine out around 5 years ago now, it was nice to no longer be in pain but iv now been left with Bile Acid Malabsorbtion 🙃

I had one, massive gallstone and the pain was unreal. I've given birth twice and been run over by a car - gallstone pain beats those experiences hands down.

I've since had my gallbladder removed (keyhole surgery, discharged same day) so haven't had to suffer that kind of pain again.

Downside is that bile is constantly dripping into your stomach. If I'm ill and lose my appetite then I get a really bad acid stomach as there's no food for the bile to act on. This causes me nausea and I throw up the bile - and it feels/tastes like battery acid on it's way out!

This might sound weird, but the only thing that relieved the pain from the gallstone was to position my body so my stomach was higher than my head. The pain is often caused by the gallstone(s) blocking the bile duct which prevents the bile from draining. If you can position your body so that the gallstone(s) move back away from the duct then then pain goes away very quickly.

1567112635729.png

Obviously you won't have this contraption lying around, but this is the sort of position you want to be in. Might not work for you, but it worked like a charm for me - pain free within 5 minutes or less. It's worth a try.

1567112491419.png

Reactions: 2
I also found that drinking a pint or two of water as soon as you felt that first stab pain (which usually starting in my upper back weirdly) helped push it through and helped to manage the pain.

This might sound weird, but the only thing that relieved the pain from the gallstone was to position my body so my stomach was higher than my head. The pain is often caused by the gallstone(s) blocking the bile duct which prevents the bile from draining. If you can position your body so that the gallstone(s) move back away from the duct then then pain goes away very quickly.

View attachment 36545

Obviously you won't have this contraption lying around, but this is the sort of position you want to be in. Might not work for you, but it worked like a charm for me - pain free within 5 minutes or less. It's worth a try.

View attachment 36544
Not wierd at all. I used to lie on the floor with my feet on the sofa, to relieve gall stone pain!

I had a scan and diagnosed with gallstones at the beginning of this year. I was offered keyhole surgery but decided to wait as I feel I am able to control it at the moment (and I have a young child, being out of action isn’t an option!) I swear by peppermint tea. If I feel any sort of bloating or pain starting I drink cups of peppermint tea until it eases. Fatty foods such as fish & chips, take aways are my triggers!

Oh and I totally agree about the pain being worse that child birth!

I was following slimming world lost 10lbs in 4 weeks woke up during the night in absolute agony I had had this pain before but never this bad and it wouldn’t go away went to a and e was scanned and admitted surgery the same day as it was infected I don’t suffer no we’re near as bad now but I do get occasional flare ups I’m on omeprazole permanently due to acid I can’t seem to get rid of fatty foods heavy drinking and big meals used to trigger mine off

I was following slimming world lost 10lbs in 4 weeks woke up during the night in absolute agony I had had this pain before but never this bad and it wouldn’t go away went to a and e was scanned and admitted surgery the same day as it was infected I don’t suffer no we’re near as bad now but I do get occasional flare ups I’m on omeprazole permanently due to acid I can’t seem to get rid of fatty foods heavy drinking and big meals used to trigger mine off
So even after surgery you can’t have fatty foods? So you still can’t have a nice Sunday dinner with goose fat roast potatoes? Or a lovely gooey brownie? I’m devastated, however awful that sounds. It’s not like I want to eat these things daily but as a treat once a week would have been nice after the surgery. Never mind, health is more important xx

I can eat fatty foods since I had mine taken out 5 years ago, in fact I gained a bit too much weight, initially, because I was eating all the lovely foods I had missed out on while I waited a year to get the op.

I do get indigestion if I overdo it, but that is the norm for me anyway.

Not everyone is the same, so just try small amounts of things until you are sure it is going to be OK.

Good luck for a swift resolution!

Hi there. Is anybody on crown. I have just been prescribed this and awaiting a SEHCAT scab. If anybody has any advice please.

Creon ****

I got gallstones after loosing weight too quickly. Had it removed via keyhole 5/6 years ago (I went back to work after 4 weeks, but that’s because I was going to milk as much time off as possible).

The only issue I now have is severe IBS, as you don’t have anything to break down the fat in food so it goes straight through, however other people I know who’ve had their removed are fine

Reactions: 2
I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago and can eat fatty foods as normal now. At the time I was getting attacks several times a week so it was definitely worth it for me.

If you do choose to go down the surgical route make sure you see a sympathetic GP for a referral. The first GP I saw said I was too young at 24 to have surgery! She reckoned I had to go on a fat free diet for the rest of my life and that taking codeine every week for my attacks was normal.

I saw a different doctor a month later who was more sympathetic and instantly referred me.

Has anyone had an ultrasound that didn’t show gallstones? I’ve been having stomach issues for nearly 2 years and the doctor referred me for an ultrasound. Nothing showed up but all of my symptoms point at gallstones so I’m wondering if they don’t always show up on an ultrasound. I have constant pain at the top of my ribs on my right side, fatigue, nausea and excess wind and have had light coloured stools for a few days I’m worried sick about this as I’m also concerned about pancreatitis although I don’t have the dark urine etc.