Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rlouisep9

VIP Member
I have already started. I could tell my boss im
Not coming back but he would cause trouble. Put it this way I was intouch with hmrc and acas last week over him.
Thank you lovely it fits in better for my kids xx
If you've already started a new job surely you shouldn't still be taking furlough money from your old one?

Reactions: 12

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Thank you Wilma

I think if I go down the whole legal route and tell him it would cause issues. I would still like to go there for meals etc 😫. Or am I being too soft?
I mean this this the absolutely nicest way possible here but - you need to grow up. You’ve said he treats you like shit as an employee, he’s been withholding holiday pay etc so why on Earth would you even entertain going back as a customer to his establishment?!!!

I’m going to assume you’ve never resigned from a job before?
Have you got an official contract of employment? If so, is there any mention in there of your notice period when you want to leave?

send him it via an email so that you have a dated copy of it for your own records.
I would literally write

Dear (insert his name)

l wish to formally resign from my position of (whatever your job is) at (wherever it is you work) with immediate effect. I will not be returning to work.

Sincerely

(your name)

That’s all you need to say. If he comes back to you with anything that’s non work related/abusive/rude etc dont reply in anyway, just save the message or email incase you need it in future.

If he’s an arsehole, he’s probably not going to pay you out anything you may still be owed in holiday pay etc so I’d chase that externally.

Reactions: 8

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Within the furlough rules you are permitted to get another job provided your original contract allows, however that is on the assumption you will return to your old job when called.

As you have taken this old job instead of your furlough role you need to resign. He may well not pay your furlough monies but really you cannot expect to be paid from the new job and paid furlough from your old one.

You already have your new job, therefore in what way could he cause trouble?

Reactions: 7

Georgethecat

VIP Member
Are you planning on going back to work at the restaurant? Why would you continue getting furlough as surely the restaurant is allowed to open now so you should be back to work or handing in your notice. Some employers prohibited people getting a second job while claiming and some allowed it but to claim with no intention of returning isn't on and surely fraudulent especially if you're lying to your employer about your new job.

Reactions: 4

lozzapaloozza

VIP Member
Unless you give a valid reason for not returning to work he can take you off the employee management system and you will not get furlough and your employment status there will be gone. Which, you shouldn’t be getting anyway if you aren’t working there anymore and have a new source of income

Reactions: 4

Danni_louu

VIP Member
OP - you don't need to grow up. Leaving a job is daunting. I've handed my notice in at 3 jobs now (I'm 25) and it's felt daunting and nervewracking every time.

I think by the way you've described how he's treated you, then you are better off out of there. And if that means you feel uncomfortable returning to there to enjoy food with friends and family then so be it, there will be plenty other lovely options to choose from to visit for food. You have to consider your happiness. If you're unhappy and being treated poorly in a job, which it sounds like you are, it will impact you on so many levels. Your happiness is always most important. The new job you have mentioned might just be a blessing in disguise, it sounds like you're better off out of this current role.

If I were you I would follow the link I provided earlier, there's tons of really helpful info on the gov website about employment rights etc. If you feel that your rights have been breached then gather as much advice as you can about that, before going to your employer to hand your notice in - you'll want to make sure you're as clued up as can be!

Good luck.
thank you, bit of a mean comment from previous poster!

I have 2 children and there was a tome
In my life where I had no money. I was living of coffee for weeks making sure they had enough food.
Thank you so much for all your advice x

• Heart
Reactions: 3

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
The plan was to go back, but when he started keeping my furlough money and I was offered a job I took it.

I have been intouch with hmrc over him as there is a lot to tell about how he works.

Acas has told me to go to a employment tribunal. I have been sexually harassed in that job, I am the only female who works there and the men get treated better than me.
I love my job there I love my customers. He’s just not a nice man
Any furlough money you were legally entitled to you need to fight to get back, he cannot claim it and not pay you. That is fraud.

In regards to leaving, you can still pursue the monies once you have left. As you have a new job, I would walk and pursue him via HMRC and a tribunal.

Reactions: 3

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
he won’t even pay me any holidays, I don’t even no why I feel so bad about telling him I want to leave. I hate falling out with people
Okay, well your only option is the pursue this externally. He clearly isn’t going to be nice about it. But prolonging giving your notice isn’t going to help, I presume your expected back on Monday? So you just need to do it and deal with the loss of furlough and holiday pay via a solicitor or union.

Also you don’t need to tell him you want to leave, tell him your going. You can leave immediately and forgo your notice period.

Reactions: 2

WilmaHun

VIP Member
The plan was to go back, but when he started keeping my furlough money and I was offered a job I took it.

I have been intouch with hmrc over him as there is a lot to tell about how he works.

Acas has told me to go to a employment tribunal. I have been sexually harassed in that job, I am the only female who works there and the men get treated better than me.
If this is the case then you need to seek further advice and through that advice you will be able to claim any holiday/furlough money which you are owed. He cannot withhold money which is rightfully yours, whether you intend to leave or not.

WilmaHun

VIP Member
OP - you don't need to grow up. Leaving a job is daunting. I've handed my notice in at 3 jobs now (I'm 25) and it's felt daunting and nervewracking every time.

I think by the way you've described how he's treated you, then you are better off out of there. And if that means you feel uncomfortable returning to there to enjoy food with friends and family then so be it, there will be plenty other lovely options to choose from to visit for food. You have to consider your happiness. If you're unhappy and being treated poorly in a job, which it sounds like you are, it will impact you on so many levels. Your happiness is always most important. The new job you have mentioned might just be a blessing in disguise, it sounds like you're better off out of this current role.

If I were you I would follow the link I provided earlier, there's tons of really helpful info on the gov website about employment rights etc. If you feel that your rights have been breached then gather as much advice as you can about that, before going to your employer to hand your notice in - you'll want to make sure you're as clued up as can be!

Good luck.

• Heart

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
I asked him what my shifts would be and he’s toldme he doesn’t no, how do I word a message 🙈
Considering it’s been clear indoor dining would be opening next Monday it should not have come as a surprise to him and he should have been organising things for a while.

I would google a resignation letter and either hand deliver it or email it to him. Basically stating you are leaving on ex date. You expect x amount of holiday pay in accordance with your contract and x amount of unpaid furlough monies owed within 14 days of leaving.

If you have any items you need return (Uniform/keys) he will get them back when all monies are paid.

If you are communicating on text you could send it on there two so he cannot deny receiving it. If after the time you don’t have the monies then you need to seek advice with your evidence and pursue him that way.

Reactions: 1

Randy77

Chatty Member
You need to tell him you are leaving with immediate effect. If you are receiving furlough pay from him whilst working elsewhere you may have to pay it back as you are not entitled to this.

What kind of trouble would he cause? I would suggest blocking all contact with him when you resign if he is a trouble maker.

Danni_louu

VIP Member
Hi guysss

ok so bit of advice. I worked in a restaurant and got furlough in December. My boss has played a lot of mind games but that’s a different story. Past couple of weeks I’ve found a job within school hours so better hours really!

my boss in restaurant has said furlough for restaurants stop next month.
Does it? I’m terrified to tell him about the new job cos he will with hold money again from me

Danni_louu

VIP Member
Okay, well your only option is the pursue this externally. He clearly isn’t going to be nice about it. But prolonging giving your notice isn’t going to help, I presume your expected back on Monday? So you just need to do it and deal with the loss of furlough and holiday pay via a solicitor or union.

Also you don’t need to tell him you want to leave, tell him your going. You can leave immediately and forgo your notice period.
I asked him what my shifts would be and he’s toldme he doesn’t no, how do I word a message 🙈

Randy77

Chatty Member
Congratulations on the new job. Furlough ends in September, however if there is work for you at the restaurant then you won't be entitled to be Furloughed as work is available.

Can you hand in your notice? When do you start your new job?

Danni_louu

VIP Member
I would have a read of this.
Thank you Wilma

I think if I go down the whole legal route and tell him it would cause issues. I would still like to go there for meals etc 😫. Or am I being too soft?

Danni_louu

VIP Member
Any furlough money you were legally entitled to you need to fight to get back, he cannot claim it and not pay you. That is fraud.

In regards to leaving, you can still pursue the monies once you have left. As you have a new job, I would walk and pursue him via HMRC and a tribunal.
he won’t even pay me any holidays, I don’t even no why I feel so bad about telling him I want to leave. I hate falling out with people

Danni_louu

VIP Member
Congratulations on the new job. Furlough ends in September, however if there is work for you at the restaurant then you won't be entitled to be Furloughed as work is available.

Can you hand in your notice? When do you start your new job?
I have already started. I could tell my boss im
Not coming back but he would cause trouble. Put it this way I was intouch with hmrc and acas last week over him.
Thank you lovely it fits in better for my kids xx

Danni_louu

VIP Member