Funeral experiences

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to discuss funeral experiences after the discussion in the secret celebrity thread

I don’t know what sort of thing you discussed in the other thread so sorry if this isn’t relevant!

But a funeral I went to recently, the bereaved widow of the dead person went and stood at the end of the path on the way out of the crematorium when the service had finished, so everyone had to file past her and talk with her, commiserate with her, hug her etc. My brother who I was with said it was kind of like a meet and greet lol. I thought it was quite nice in a way, as she got to speak to every person who had attended and made it more personal. But me and my brother both agreed we were glad we didn’t do that at my Dad’s as it would have been quite overwhelming for us. It was about a hundred people for her to chat with, not easy when you are weepy.

Reactions: 4
When my H died he was shouldered in to funeral at church by friends. Huge footie fan. V emotional time. Ex sis in law is a See u next Tues. Worst days of my life tbh. Years ago now. Friends were my rock.

Reactions: 2
I don’t know what sort of thing you discussed in the other thread so sorry if this isn’t relevant!

But a funeral I went to recently, the bereaved widow of the dead person went and stood at the end of the path on the way out of the crematorium when the service had finished, so everyone had to file past her and talk with her, commiserate with her, hug her etc. My brother who I was with said it was kind of like a meet and greet lol. I thought it was quite nice in a way, as she got to speak to every person who had attended and made it more personal. But me and my brother both agreed we were glad we didn’t do that at my Dad’s as it would have been quite overwhelming for us. It was about a hundred people for her to chat with, not easy when you are weepy.
This is pretty standard at Irish funerals. The family of the deceased line up and the mourners file past one by one offering condolences, handshakes, hugs etc. I agree there’s something nice about it but at the same time if it were me I’d find it incredibly difficult. It’s a lot!

Reactions: 8

I’ve been to my fair share of family funerals and we’ve always done this. I didn’t realise it wasn’t the done thing until I attended the funeral of a friend’s dad recently and they scarpered off to the wake 😂

Oh same. I think it’s nice but also can be awkward as you’re forced into having a chat with them.

Similar situation happened, ended up all filing past the wife who was chatting and hugging, I did not know her personally only her husband who had sadly passed away, so it felt a little awkward 😬

My last two deaths have had the new Direct Funeral. No service and the ashes returned to the family after the cremation. Neither was to save money but more a no fuss/keep it simple thing. I must say this has really grown on me but my partner was horrified and struggled with it.
I purchased my burial plot about 10 years ago while in my 30’s knowing I really wanted a burial and land would become scarce in the future. So I guess the “Direct” funeral for me would be straight in the ground with no service no fuss. Although a head stone would be required.

Reactions: 1
I want a Direct no fuss, no nothing, do what you like with what is returned. My family now live in different parts of the country with graves and headstones still in the church yard where we were born and I can't imagine the state they are now in.

I’ve been to a funeral like this, it was so awkward as I didn’t know the family. It was really weird.
I recently had my grandmas funeral and they had a grandchild car 😳 I was mortified. I didn’t know this was a thing. She was my last surviving grandparent and none of my other grandparents had a grandchild car. I know they usually have one for the deceaseds children but grandchildren?? Luckily it pulled up in a little nook behind the church and there was a bagpiper playing, along with the coffin being taken out so there were no eyes on us.
I also want a no fuss funeral. Family only, no hymns, cremation. That’s all. An hour and finished. Fill me with popcorn kernels before I’m cremated though 🤣