Food Eco scores on labels

Like the idea of eco scores on food?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lots seem to be quite outraged by the idea of eco ratings on food. I quite like it especially if it will show on fresh fruit and veg to show the domestically grown produce.

I probably do need a reminder to have less almonds and avocados and more lentils and oats

Lidl_EcoScore.jpg
44719515-9728923-image-a-90_1624752098991.jpg

Reactions: 2
This is the first I’ve heard of it but why are people outraged?! If you aren’t bothered about the environmental impact just ignore the labels like I do when ignoring all the red labels on cake!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
"we know it's bad, stop lecturing us" attitude. Although I think for most people out of sight out of mind and I doubt most have a clue what ratings most foods would have.

I do think we’re being flooded with information most will ignore unless the want to view it.

the traffic light system on foods.
Calories on menus,
Eco scores,

There might be a handful who are influenced but I’d be interested to see how many really will adjust their shopping based on eco score over taste/price point/product.

And how much it’s costing to do it!

Reactions: 2
I think I’d want to know more about it before I could comment. As in, what is an eco-score and what does it take into account? Cam companies throw a bit of money at some green washing projects and get a better score? Does it just look at how a product is grown/farmed or does it look at manufacturing and packaging too? Like, you would an organically-grown kiwi fruit get a good score despite being wrapped in plastic and using more than its own weight in jet fuel to get here?

Reactions: 4
would an organically-grown kiwi fruit get a good score despite being wrapped in plastic and using more than its own weight in jet fuel to get here?
I'd assume so or its totally pointless! The transport of how it gets to the shelf is as vital as the growing.

It's self declared so rather like the traffic light system, and that to an extent has encouraged some reformulation. Totally open to abuse and can be misleading - like is replacing sugar and fat with artificial sweeteners really any healthier?

Reactions: 3
Encouraging people to eat locally has to be good for their bodies and our environment.

PS I am quite anti sugar so your very last sentence is debatable, I think. Maybe stevia!