First home - new build or project?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The types of developers who buy individual houses are not the same as land owners and multi-million developing companies.

You do need somewhere to live, but I assume you’re not homeless?

I would do anything rather than contribute to destroying the environment. Especially as we are soon predicted to have food shortages, land needs to be used for farming, not ugly red houses with six foot of AstroTurf for a garden.
Guess I’ll go live in an eco friendly cardboard box

We bought our first house a few years ago. We did look at new builds, we thought perfect for first time buyers.... nope!!! We found them all VERY expensive for what they were.

The one around here are like cardboard boxes, tiny gardens, neighbours overlooking, poorly built and IMO over priced.

we found a house which is 20 years old which we have added value to, just by redecorating, knocking a couple of walls down and putting in a new kitchen. There are still issues with this house though. It was built by persimmon so no surprise there! They are tit!

Me and my husband are currently saving for a house with the HTB we opened an account each. We got married last year and used majority of the money we where gifted to open the accounts instead of going on a big honeymoon. We want a new build as well as I don’t know about where your from here but here they have a 10 year guarantee and a lot nowadays come with a washing machine/fridge freezer and cooker all built in which saves money having to buy those as we’re currently renting and don’t own any of those. We don’t plan on moving again though this would be our forever family home. We also just want to move in we don’t want to have to start putting a new kitchen/bathroom in etc don’t minding painting but we don’t have the time to do a house up with the hours we work. Personally think if your going to have to put a whole new kitchen and bathroom into it by the time you’ve spent the money on that you may as well have just saved a bit extra and went for a new build unless your interested in doing it up yourself and you have the money to do all depends on your budget as well I suppose. My sister bought a house about 3 years ago and it needed a lot of work done to it and she wishes they’d have just saved a bit longer and went for a newer house as she said it’s a nightmare, every time they get a bit of money together to be able to do something to it something needs fixed or their car needs fixed so they end up having to dip into it so nothing ever gets done and she’s sick of looking at it the way it is

Last edited:
Word of warning for new builds, a friend bought one of the earlier houses on a really big development with her partner. Unfortunately the relationship broke down and they had to sell the house about 2 years later. This meant there was still a few final houses being built on the estate. She lost money on the house, even though the asking price was what she paid for, as she needed a quick sell. Was awful for her but why would anyone want someones 'old' new build for the same price as a brand spanking new one, with fixtures and fittings of their choice?

Reactions: 1
Word of warning for new builds, a friend bought one of the earlier houses on a really big development with her partner. Unfortunately the relationship broke down and they had to sell the house about 2 years later. This meant there was still a few final houses being built on the estate. She lost money on the house, even though the asking price was what she paid for, as she needed a quick sell. Was awful for her but why would anyone want someones 'old' new build for the same price as a brand spanking new one, with fixtures and fittings of their choice?
Yeah that’s totally something to think about - but I have found that with each “phase” of a new build site the prices seem to go up anyway? we were looking at another house that was in the upper £200s and they got snapped up, so we thought we’d ask about the next phase and they said they all had a guide price of £310 - so with inflation etc I’d expect the price would go up slightly. Obviously we don’t know what would happen with a recession so it’s definitely a concern, I mean, we could buy an old house and sink a load of money into it and not make a profit either!

Yeah that’s totally something to think about - but I have found that with each “phase” of a new build site the prices seem to go up anyway? we were looking at another house that was in the upper £200s and they got snapped up, so we thought we’d ask about the next phase and they said they all had a guide price of £310 - so with inflation etc I’d expect the price would go up slightly. Obviously we don’t know what would happen with a recession so it’s definitely a concern, I mean, we could buy an old house and sink a load of money into it and not make a profit either!
I can't comment on my friends situation, as it was a couple of years ago, so it may very well be the case with todays new builds. I just think its something to think about, they don't often hold their value very well, and its hard to find ways to increase value. But it does depend entirely on what you think it more important. I think looking back my friend wished she hadn't bought that house as she lost money from it, and the break down of the relationship just made everything worse for her. But best of luck with the search!