First car!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My first car was a mini. I had it for years and loved it, perfect to learn in and perfect for a first car. I still miss it now and it’s been four years since I got my new car 😅 I was very attached to it! 🙈

Would any of you recommend a Volkswagen for a first car? If so what model?
I had a Lupo

Polo is good, so is a Golf

They are small and easy to park haha, plus they are so common if/when something breaks or needs replacing, it isn't hard for garages to get the parts and fix it

Depends though - you going for a manual or automatic?

I had a Lupo

Polo is good, so is a Golf

They are small and easy to park haha, plus they are so common if/when something breaks or needs replacing, it isn't hard for garages to get the parts and fix it

Depends though - you going for a manual or automatic?
I’ve been looking at golfs and love them but wasn’t sure on the reliability of them etc! And I’m looking at a manual.

I’ve been looking at golfs and love them but wasn’t sure on the reliability of them etc! And I’m looking at a manual.
Manual VW would be a good shout then. Don't recommend automatic VWs as there are better brands for auto's
ETA - you can't go wrong with German engineering. Also, many cars come with VW engines

Reactions: 2
I’m looking at getting a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 (same car) or a Fiat 500. Ideally I’d like a 2014 plate or higher but it all goes down to what I can afford.

I’m more concerned about the boot size. I’ll be using the car quite often to take my Nana out and she had a mobility scooter. It collapses down but it still quite bulky - I’m already imagining the scenes of me trying to fit it in a Fiat 500 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I’m looking at getting a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 (same car) or a Fiat 500. Ideally I’d like a 2014 plate or higher but it all goes down to what I can afford.

I’m more concerned about the boot size. I’ll be using the car quite often to take my Nana out and she had a mobility scooter. It collapses down but it still quite bulky - I’m already imagining the scenes of me trying to fit it in a Fiat 500 😅
Get a Ford Focus

Reliable cars and the boot is bloody massive, fold them back seats down as well and you can fit an IKEA bookcase in there. I've been there :LOL:

I now have a Golf GTD! As I said above loved my first car (mini) but I do love my golf as well, it’s been really reliable in the four years I’ve had it now and it’s really nice to drive. Mines manual as well.

Me and everyone I know are completely clueless on cars so I couldn’t thank you all enough for your help!! I feel like I have some sort of an idea now 😂 will definitely update this thread when I do buy.

• Heart
My partner has always had VW's. He started with a VW UP and now has a Polo and he loves them. Fantastic car. I recently got rid of my mini to upgrade to a bigger family car and he was desperate for me to change to a VW. He's never had an overly expensive issue with them

I now have a Golf GTD! As I said above loved my first car (mini) but I do love my golf as well, it’s been really reliable in the four years I’ve had it now and it’s really nice to drive. Mines manual as well.
Mini's are the best!

Have you ever actually been inside a Fiat 500?! They are TINY!!!!!!

The fiat 500 boot is a bit deceiving you can actually get a fair bit inside as the rear seats go completely flat (providing there’s only 2 of you travelling). Managed to get a 6ft Xmas tree every year inside mine! And I moved out with boxes etc in only 3 trips 👍🏻

My SIL had a Fiat 500 as her first car and it was surprisingly quite roomy. Obviously it’s not a car to get if you have a family or are planning on it but for a first car it’s not a bad choice.

I don’t know much about cars as I don’t drive, but my OH’s first car was a Corsa and it served him well.

I drove my Dad's 2001 VW Golf for a few months when I passed my test and I hated it! The steering was so heavy but I think it is because I learned to drive in a fairly new Audi A1, so obviously going from a new car to an old I was bound to notice the difference.

I have since driven a 2020 plate Golf and it was lush. My partner does a lot of mechanical work and he says that VWs are built really well!

Fiat 500s are one of the worst rated cars by Which?

Honestly don't see what the fuss is about with them, they look awful. Give me a Focus ST or an M3 any day 🤣 (obvs I know, budget and all that)

Fiat 500s are one of the worst rated cars by Which?

Honestly don't see what the fuss is about with them, they look awful. Give me a Focus ST or an M3 any day 🤣 (obvs I know, budget and all that)
Their NCAP safety rating is also 3/5 stars which isn't great. There's lots of other small cars available on the market in a similar price range which have far better ratings imo!

I’ve read about their handling (Fiat 500). I don’t think we should bash anyone’s decisions when it comes down to cost and affordability though. In an ideal world, I’d drive an Audi A1 / TT 😅 VW’s are solid cars yep - my friend had her 2002 Golf only up until recently when she traded it in for an Audi A3.

My next door neighbour used to have a Ford Fiesta and that looked nippy and roomy. Lots to think about.. I need to pass my test first 😂

Fiat 500s have the same engine as KA's. I managed to fit a IKEA bookcase in my KA. They're also quite similar on the inside