FB Weight Loss Support Group

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is an offshoot of a chat in the Secret Celeb Gossip thread. There is already a weight loss thread but for those of us in our late 30s (and over!) it's a bit harder to get the weight off in the first place.

Subtitle of thread: Fat Bastards support thread! (am a size 20 btw so am not fat shaming)

Reactions: 8
@smellofbiscuits asked me to copy my post from the Secret Celeb thread into this new thread.

I lost 2 stone and kept it off by taking a long term view. I knew I couldn’t go on a diet, too prescriptive for me, and all the diets I have been on did work, but when I started to eat “normally”, the weight crept back on. I knew I would only lose weight permanently if I tweaked my diet a bit. I wasn’t a one for breakfast, I used to force myself to eat it because we have been told we should eat it. If I ate breakfast it set in gear eating mode for me, it made me hungry. My natural way of eating is lunch and dinner, with the occasional treat and I embraced that. I don’t calorie count, instinctively I cut back the next day if my diet is a bit piggy the day before. No food is forbidden to me, it is just food.

Cutting out breakfast, and walking 4 miles a day (the oft mentioned 10,000 steps) worked for me, but slowly which is where the long term view comes in, it took me a year to lose that 2 stone. I am also middle aged, I was worried I was going to get that deflated balloon face because of quick weightloss. The slow weightloss meant that did not happen.

I eat the same food as my OH, eat the same treats but I am more mindful about what I am eating and why. I now know I am intermittent fasting (think it is 16:8) but didn’t know that when I started eating that way. Plus the 10,000 steps a day is a random figure that some people made up in Japan to flog a pedometer (I think that is what it was), but it gave me something to aim for.

I think sometimes you diet for an event, and you want to speed diet for that event. You need to change your mindset I think. Time is going to pass, and half a pound weight loss every week adds up over a year. Too slow for some but it worked for me. I lost weight for my health too. I was not ill but as you get older the health part overtakes the aesthetics, if you look good at target weight, that’s great, but health is wealth when you get older. As a bonus lots of little niggles cleared up, the aches and pains that I thought were set in for life.

Here endeth the lesson! Sorry to sound so preachy. I know how awful it feels sometimes to be carrying excess weight around, I did it for years. I felt reborn when I lost 2 stone, which isn’t even that much, but in terms of making me feel alive again, it felt like a mammoth weight off.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
What I've learned over the years is that slightly different things work for different people (calorie counting, clubs, cheat days etc...) but what is universally true is:

-Eat little and often is actually rubbish, it often lets the appetite kick in and doesn't give your body time to rest with regards insulin.
-Processed foods need to be kept to an absolute minimum.
-It's true that it's 90% diet but upping your exercise and introducing some weights is great.
-there is something about carbs. Maybe not just the calories and maybe also water retention or they are appetite stimulants but they are best limited.

The above in itself isn't hard. The bloody hard part is the motivation which is very complex plus many of us have an odd relationship with food. It's a long game.

I like Jason Manford's FB group - the pics of real people who have got some weight off is a motivator.

Reactions: 5
There is already a weight loss thread but for those of us in our late 30s (and over!)
The average age of a tattler is late 30s, does the other weight loss thread not cover more or less the same thing? I'm sure they'll all be welcoming even though they're several threads in 👍

Reactions: 3
@petitspois
I agree with the carbs point. If I have eaten carb heavy I put on weight very easily. When you get older it is harder to lose weight, it is slower. But if you cut down on the carbs a bit, the weightloss revs up. It does for me. And you just feel leaner. I don’t know what it is, possibly water retention as mentioned.

What I've learned over the years is that slightly different things work for different people (calorie counting, clubs, cheat days etc...) but what is universally true is:

-Eat little and often is actually rubbish, it often let

the appetite kick in and doesn't give your body time to rest with regards insulin.
-Processed foods need to be kept to an absolute minimum.
-It's true that it's 90% diet but upping your exercise and introducing some weights is great.
-there is something about carbs. Maybe not just the calories and maybe also water retention or they are appetite stimulants but they are best limited.

The above in itself isn't hard. The bloody hard part is the motivation which is very complex plus many of us have an odd relationship with food. It's a long game.

I like Jason Manford's FB group - the pics of real people who have got some weight off is a motivator.
just wanted to say there is *nothing* about carbs and they should not be limited unless perhaps you have a medical condition such as diabetes. Carbs do contain water so if you have a carb heavy dayand weigh in the next morning you might weigh a little heavier but it’s just water, it will be released as you hydrate.

Please eat carbs, they are so important and your body needs them, hence why alongside protein and fat they are classed as a macronutrient as they’re needed in large (macro) amounts

@petitspois
I agree with the carbs point. If I have eaten carb heavy I put on weight very easily. When you get older it is harder to lose weight, it is slower. But if you cut down on the carbs a bit, the weightloss revs up. It does for me. And you just feel leaner. I don’t know what it is, possibly water retention as mentioned.
the only way you’ll be losing weight when you cut out carbs is because you’re cutting out calories. Not because those calories come from carbs. If you cut out all protein & only ate carbs and fats as long as you are in a calorie deficit you’d lose weight.

please do not demonise carbs! We need them.

Reactions: 2
I do eat carbs, but just notice I feel bulkier and sluggish if I eat too many. No foods are outlawed by me. I eat in a balanced way. The only thing I don’t eat is chocolate but that is a taste issue. As I have aged my sweet tooth has diminished and I prefer savoury to sweet, starters to desserts, crisps to biscuits. I like the occasional scone or cake, but the thought of eating chocolate now makes me a bit queasy. But everything else, I eat it.

The average age of a tattler is late 30s, does the other weight loss thread not cover more or less the same thing? I'm sure they'll all be welcoming even though they're several threads in 👍

That's fair enough although it could be the threads I lurk on but got a real sense of the 20-30 demographic on the site 🤷‍♂️ In my 20s I could cut out bread for 2 weeks and go down a dress size. However the same approach doesn't cut it for late 30s.

Is having too similar a thread against Tattle rules?

That's fair enough although it could be the threads I lurk on but got a real sense of the 20-30 demographic on the site 🤷‍♂️ In my 20s I could cut out bread for 2 weeks and go down a dress size. However the same approach doesn't cut it for late 30s.

Is having too similar a thread against Tattle rules?
I’m on the thread and there’s a wide range of people in many different circumstances sharing their experiences. Not all young’uns! Come and have a look 😊

just wanted to say there is *nothing* about carbs and they should not be limited unless perhaps you have a medical condition such as diabetes. Carbs do contain water so if you have a carb heavy dayand weigh in the next morning you might weigh a little heavier but it’s just water, it will be released as you hydrate.

Please eat carbs, they are so important and your body needs them, hence why alongside protein and fat they are classed as a macronutrient as they’re needed in large (macro) amounts

the only way you’ll be losing weight when you cut out carbs is because you’re cutting out calories. Not because those calories come from carbs. If you cut out all protein & only ate carbs and fats as long as you are in a calorie deficit you’d lose weight.

please do not demonise carbs! We need them.
I e been looking into reducing carbs but as a vegetarian I cant do the 20g of carbs most people do. I can lose weigh if I cut down to about 100g of carbs a day, and eat lots of vegetables, which are carbs. I lose weight if I cut down carbs like bread and potatoes but I cant find a satisfactory substitute for bread and I love it! I also fall off the wagon really easily and fall into a vat of cake and wine at the weekends 😄

Reactions: 1
So do we post on this thread or the other one? I want to join in but am now confused (easily done)

Maybe we can keep both threads, I hadn’t realised about the other thread and sometimes it’s hard joining in on a thread when they are 5 threads in iyswim

I e been looking into reducing carbs but as a vegetarian I cant do the 20g of carbs most people do. I can lose weigh if I cut down to about 100g of carbs a day, and eat lots of vegetables, which are carbs. I lose weight if I cut down carbs like bread and potatoes but I cant find a satisfactory substitute for bread and I love it! I also fall off the wagon really easily and fall into a vat of cake and wine at the weekends 😄
the reason why you’re losing weight when you cut down carbs and breads is because you’re cutting out the calories though. You could eat only bread and potatoes all day everyday and lose weight if you’re in a calorie deficit. It wouldn’t be that nutritious but you could.

do you know many calories you need to eat to be within a calorie deficit and lose weight? If so, you can eat whatever you please as long as it’s within that allowance, including bread, potatoes, cake and wine etc.

So do we post on this thread or the other one? I want to join in but am now confused (easily done)
Come over and join in! We’re a few threads in because we’re chatty 😂 but new people join or drop out every day so it doesn’t feel cliquey. 😊

Reactions: 2
I really piled the weight on this last year and although I did look into (and buy all the books for) the Fast 800 diet I wasn’t motivated enough to actually do it, the Facebook group is really inspiring though
On the subject of carbs there are “good” and “bad” ones as I’m sure everyone’s aware

Reactions: 1