Fast fashion / building a capsule wardrobe

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am really trying to get out of a relationship with fast fashion. I am fed up doing ASOS “hauls” every few weeks spending £100 + on clothes that become misshapen or damaged in the washing machine and just don’t last!
i currently buy all my clothes secondhand (bar underwear, gym wear and swimwear) from Vinted however I am trying to build a capsule wardrobe around my own style and working towards buying good quality pieces that will last years

what are some good quality brands that I should be aiming to buy from? I feel like I just don’t know where to start!

Reactions: 5
I have absolutely no advice, but am looking at doing the same.. I’ve worked from home and got into a bit of a leggings rut that I want to get out of!

Reactions: 1
While I am a shopper of fast fashion (more so due to budget), I buy very infrequently and only buy when an item is sturdy and versatile (I've had the same black Zara blazer for almost 8 years, and it still looks and fits great and the only black blazer I have ever had).

But to answer your question about specific brands, here are some of my go-tos (thought I don't know your personal style, hope you like something here?)

*Jeans- Levis, Madewell
*Dresses- Reformation, Boden
*Basics- Everlane
*Stylish Staples- Frankie Shop (particularly their blazers and trousers)
*Coats-Believe or not, H&M. They have been stepping up their coat game and they're surprisingly good quality for under $100. Also trendy yet versatile silhouettes are a plus.
*Shoes-I don't have a specific brand of shoe I stick to, but I prefer to only buy shoes from shoe-specific brands (less to do with quality as many brands use the same factories, but more so to do with attention to detail in the design).

Reactions: 2
I have a few bits from Hobbs, Phase Eight and Karen Millen, all are good quality and will last. I really need a capsule wardrobe, I wear loads of black so could do with some more colourful bits to add in.

I’ve got an amazing leather jacket from Allsaints. Cost around £250, but it’s real leather and has lasted me about 5 years so far. Can’t see me getting rid any time soon.

• Heart
I find a lot of capsule wardrobe guides are stereotypes now , like they all have a trench /blazer/ breton etc. What sort of things do you like to wear, are there any items that you often buy from fast fashion?

Building a successful capsule wardrobe is a gradual process The most sustainable items are ones you already have , so start with those. What are your favourites? And what is your lifestyle?

Natural fibres tend to be better quality than synthetic. Clothes can be debobbled, and shoes can often be repaired when they get worn.

I've always found New Balance trainers really hard-wearing

Ooh I love this kind of thing. Basics like t shirts or “jersey” type stuff like sweaters, I’ve bought cos and they’re great. Agree with Zara blazers, i have a couple which I’ve had for well over 5 years.

I look on eBay for my size in designer jeans. One black, one blue. I buy each in a style I can dress up or down

I like a smart pair of white trainers which I can wear casually or to work. Anything from adidas to Russell and Bromley, depends on your style.

I also keep an eye on the Outnet sales or similar, in case there’s a good bargain on a higher end/higher quality item which will fill a gap in my wardrobe or to replace something which had worn out (this year - espadrilles, a maxi skirt, a lightweight shirt)

I do regular wardrobe audits and discard (to charity or sell) anything which doesn’t fit or work for me any more. I’d rather someone else got use out of stuff, but over the last few years I’ve become more conscious, so this is less and less

ooh and re: the gaps in my wardrobe - I like to have things that mostly all go with each other. You’ll get better at this as you go. When you’re trying onyour wardrobe. You’ll notice say, a denim jacket or a white tee, or sandals might work to tie 3 outfits nicely together, so you look for one that works across the board

I understand you are looking for hight street to middle market brand recommendations? I love Uniqlo for basics like jeans and T-shirts. Good quality for the price and some fun prints if that’s your thing. I don’t like their dresses, skirts or shirts much, but the outwear line is nice.

Weekday does great jeans, I am tallish with long legs and they do their trousers in different lengths unlike most high street brands. I like Mango for coats and blazers, Arket for trousers and COS for bags. I totally second getting shoes from shoe-specific brands for better quality and comfort.

What really helps me is keeping track of what I own and making a list of things I need. When I go shopping, I only buy things from this list instead of just getting a cute blouse or trousers that caught my eye but might not go with anything in my wardrobe. I also don’t wear prints much so clashing is not a problem for me and I can mix and match stuff.

• Sandro / Maje / Claudie Perlot / Ba&Sh
  • Samsoe & Samsoe
  • Reformation
  • Jeans: 7forAllMankind, Rag&Bone

Arket & COS are under the H&M. It's basically H&M clothing with a different design / price tag. Mango is fashion fashion.

I second the recommendation in favour of The Outnet. Love this website. I buy a lot on there.