Essential travel for improving mental health?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have really bad depression and anxiety, I majorly struggle to leave the house and I’ve been having suicidal thoughts and self harming. I live with my fiancé in the south, but he is a key worker and works 13/14 hour shifts and only gets 1 day a week off. I’m not allowed a bubble, because I’m not a single person household and all my family live in the north.

I really think I need to stay with my family for the time being, because being lonely is making the whole situation so much worse and it’s getting to a point where I almost need 24 hour care. However, I don’t drive, so I’d have to get the train and change twice. I’m so scared of getting questioned and potentially fined, because it’s technically not essential, but I’m in such a bad place I don’t know what to do!

has anyone been in a similar situation, or have any advice on what I should do?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have really bad depression and anxiety, I majorly struggle to leave the house and I’ve been having suicidal thoughts and self harming. I live with my fiancé in the south, but he is a key worker and works 13/14 hour shifts and only gets 1 day a week off. I’m not allowed a bubble, because I’m not a single person household and all my family live in the north.

I really think I need to stay with my family for the time being, because being lonely is making the whole situation so much worse and it’s getting to a point where I almost need 24 hour care. However, I don’t drive, so I’d have to get the train and change twice. I’m so scared of getting questioned and potentially fined, because it’s technically not essential, but I’m in such a bad place I don’t know what to do!

Currently, people are allowed to travel for care purposes. I know someone who visits their elderly Mum every weekend and they travel by train and bus over 100 miles. I think people should be able to do the same in reverse. I would say it is essential, because of suicidal ideations.

Are you on medication? Under a psychiatrist? If you have any evidence of your mental illness, take it with you. If you need to go, then go. Take your meds, wear a mask, mind your own business and have a reply ready if challenged. I wouldn't expect you to be challenged to be honest. I have come close to doing the same thing tbh.

I don't know how quickly you can travel, but in the meantime there is help out there. I'm on the end of DMs too. x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The whole reason for doing the lockdown is related to health and the healthcare system, and this is about your health. So I say do what you feel is necessary for you.

Im not sure about fines or anything, I really don't see how this couldn't be considered essential, but where I live (NI) I've heard nothing recently of people getting stopped and fined just foe for travelling round the country.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you so much for your replies. I’m on medication, I might call the doctors tomorrow and be honest with them about how I’m feeling (as scary as that is!) and ask them if there’s anything they could do, perhaps provide a letter or something. Myself and my whole family have been vaccinated, so that makes me feel a bit better about travelling. I’m not sure how strict they are with questioning/fines but I think I’m more worried because it’s station - train - station - train - station, whereas if it was just 1 journey I’m going to come across less staff to ask me, if that makes sense.

• Heart
Thank you so much for your replies. I’m on medication, I might call the doctors tomorrow and be honest with them about how I’m feeling (as scary as that is!) and ask them if there’s anything they could do, perhaps provide a letter or something. Myself and my whole family have been vaccinated, so that makes me feel a bit better about travelling. I’m not sure how strict they are with questioning/fines but I think I’m more worried because it’s station - train - station - train - station, whereas if it was just 1 journey I’m going to come across less staff to ask me, if that makes sense.
I don't think train staff are acting as lockdown police. The lady I know with the elderly Mum has never been questioned. She sometimes travels with kids too to take them to another relative as their Mum works in the NHS and can't look after her kids when schools are closed. Take info about your vaccination too. I don't think you'll need any of these things, but you'll feel more secure to cover those bases. I've a friend (lives near Glasgow) who went on holiday with her family including kids, to England when Scotland had a ban on travel to here. They visited loads of relatives in various places. They weren't challenged even once.

I genuinely think you'll be fine. Don't draw attention to yourself i.e. by having 15 suitcase or drinking champagne and belting out Whitney songs, and there's no reason to expect any problems. I've nearly done the same thing many times. This is about survival. x

I've been all over the place recently with work and elderly grandparents, a poorly parent and transporting my son to his fathers etc. Furthest I've been is 300 miles and I've never been stopped or asked anything.

You'll be fine, honestly. It's not like the first lock down. I sit still in traffic each day on the motorway trying to get to work. No one is questioning where anyone is going... Too many people are out and about now.

You go to where you need to be. No one except the police can ask where you are going and why and in the very unlikely event they do ask tell them you are moving in with family (which is legal) due to your declining mental health, let them know they can contact your doctor for confirmation and that's that.

ETA pictures... You fall into both these categories so what you are doing is perfectly legal 😊

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I've been all over the place recently with work and elderly grandparents, a poorly parent and transporting my son to his fathers etc. Furthest I've been is 300 miles and I've never been stopped or asked anything.

You'll be fine, honestly. It's not like the first lock down. I sit still in traffic each day on the motorway trying to get to work. No one is questioning where anyone is going... Too many people are out and about now.

You go to where you need to be. No one except the police can ask where you are going and why and in the very unlikely event they do ask tell them you are moving in with family (which is legal) due to your declining mental health, let them know they can contact your doctor for confirmation and that's that.

ETA pictures... You fall into both these categories so what you are doing is perfectly legal 😊
Thank you so much!!

• Heart

You are allowed to travel for welfare reasons whether it be because you need to care for someone or if you need to be cared for.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just go, one of our neighbours is getting visited by her sons every weekend and they live miles away, no one has said anything to them. Do whats best for yourself.

• Heart
Yes you can my sister works in a crisis team and I live alone she came to see me and said if she got stopped would explain I was suicidal. Duty of care at the end of the day, especially if you live alone you’re allowed a bubble. I have got on a few trains over the last year and they were much better than I thought they’d be so from that side of things don’t stress there’s hardly anyone on the trains so social distancing is very easy.

• Heart
This is definitely allowed. Travel for medical reasons whether that’s physical or mental would always be concerned essential.

We have a family member who is currently struggling with their mental health and also another member who is a police officer. They have always stressed the importance of the other member doing what they needed to do to safeguard their mental health

• Heart
Ive known people travel in lockdown for similar reasons by train, boat and plane. None have had any issues at all. You have to do what you have to do to look after your mental health at this time, and this is considered essential travel.
Give your doctor a call first thing in the morning before you have chance to think about it too much and be honest about how you're feeling right now then make a plan and go. Sending you lots of love, warmth and positivity ♥♥

• Heart
I doubt you’d even be asked, I’d do what you need to do and not worry. IF you do get asked just say medical reasons you don’t have to disclose your medical history to anyone

• Heart
Just wanted to thank everyone for your support and advice with this. I arrived safe and sound at my mums this morning, after having a very bad few days. As much as I feel so bad for opening up to her, at least she knows I’m safe and can take care of me as I am unable to myself at the moment.

Sending you all lots of love & light xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6