Environmentally friendly changes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What changes have you made to your life in an attempt to be more environmentally friendly?

I’ve recently invested in a mooncup and period pants in order to cut down on disposable pads and tampons
I try to buy as little plastic as possible, and go to a small independent green grocers to buy loose fresh fruit and veg rather than plastic wrapped from supermarkets
I have reusable drinks bottle and cups
I don’t use disposable cotton pads for removing make up any more and have bought wash cloths and washable face pads
I use friction free shaving where I have metal razor blades delivered every month rather than buying disposable plastic ones

Any other tips/suggestions?! I’m always looking for more ways to be more eco friendly 😁

Reactions: 3
I second the mooncup and period pants- yeah they are pretty expensive but I have saved SO MUCH MONEY in the long run.
I buy a vegetable box from a company that grows most of their own food.

I'm with you on the wash cloths too, and I went so far as to getting solid oil cleanser that you can buy package free.

Reactions: 1
Thought about buying one of them moon cups but my periods really heavy after having the coil fitted (tmi). Could anyone reccommend any good ones.
I've seriously cut back on buying clothing, when I do it's more of that I need it.
Recycle everything I can. Used to be lazy and throw odd bits in with normal rubbish.
Also we have solar panels on our house.
Never ever buy plastic bags now, I'd rather juggle items to the car if I've forgot my bags!
Also massively cut back on food waste, again, only buying what we need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I buy the majority of my clothes, my daughters clothes, and her toys (and some other things) second hand. In the case of our clothes, most of the time I buy something new is because I cannot find it second hand or it must be bought new (e.g. socks)

I have a reusable water bottle which I need to work on using because I still slip up. I only ever drink coffee in a coffee shop (no takeaway cups) so I don’t have a reusable coffee flask but I’m going to invest in one anyway for the discount

I always recycle, even though it means scrubbing jars caked with sauce etc (I know, I’m such a hero 🤣 any tips are welcome)

I try to avoid plastic but I could do better. Most of my daughters toys are not plastic, the few plastic ones she has are either secondhand or gifted (I’ve asked people not to buy her new plastic toys, they’ve mostly listened). Single use, everyday plastic is harder to avoid. I buy loose fruit and vegetables where I can and don’t use the little plastic bags provided (I never understand why people use these, especially for items like bananas which have natural packaging)

I always use reusable canvas bags, it took me years but these days I literally never forget to bring them. I still end up being given plastic bags if someone is giving me a gift or something. I use these to transport my recycling down to the bins (I live in a flat) until they’re unusable

I always wash clothes on 30°C. I also limit the amount of water I use, my water bill says I use around 30% less than the average person (even less considering I live with a toddler)

I don’t buy newspapers, I either read them online or in coffee shops. I buy most of my books second hand and use the library

I don’t need to use them anymore but I used washable bamboo bra inserts (to soak up leaked breast milk) rather than disposable ones

I do little things to save electricity like not blow drying my hair and sweeping rather than hoovering

I don’t eat too much meat and I use non dairy milk

There’s still a lot I can do that I’ll work on in the future. I want to use more natural cleaning products and reusable cloths (I need to do more research). Once my periods are more under control and I have some money saved up, I’ll invest in more eco friendly period products. I need to find somewhere local that recycles the film-y type plastic so I can take my stuff there. DEFINITELY need to cut down on food waste because I’m terrible for that

Thought about buying one of them moon cups but my periods really heavy after having the coil fitted (tmi). Could anyone reccommend any good ones.
I've seriously cut back on buying clothing, when I do it's more of that I need it.
Recycle everything I can. Used to be lazy and throw odd bits in with normal rubbish.
Also we have solar panels on our house.
Never ever buy plastic bags now, I'd rather juggle items to the car if I've forgot my bags!
Also massively cut back on food waste, again, only buying what we need.
This is my first cycle using a organicup. I have very heavy periods (would soak through a super plus tampon in 1-2hrs in the first two days of my period) and have been SO impressed with the cup. I’ve been able to get 6+ hours out of it on those heavy days, and longer on days 3 and 4. I used a cloth pad on the first two days as well as I expected leaks after years of them with tampons, but only had one when I hadn’t quite inserted it correctly. Can buy on amazon.

Menstrual cup (first cycle- what a game changer!) and cloth pads
Cloth nappies for all 3 kids
Cloth breast pads
Stainless steel water bottles for whole family
Tupperware boxes for food storage instead of sealable bags
Wax wraps instead of cling film (turns out I don’t use them very much though)
Shampoo bars instead of bottle
Soap instead of shower gel
Face cloth and water for removing make up instead of products and cotton wool
Bamboo toothbrushes (we use electric but for travel)
Stainless steel straws
Vinegar and water in a spray bottle for kitchen cleaning
Only eat meat 1-2 times a week now, and use dairy free products if possible as easy replacements (eg dairy free spread)
Wash at 30 (unless it’s the nappy wash)
Completely cut out “fast fashion” especially primark

This is my first cycle using a organicup. I have very heavy periods (would soak through a super plus tampon in 1-2hrs in the first two days of my period) and have been SO impressed with the cup. I’ve been able to get 6+ hours out of it on those heavy days, and longer on days 3 and 4. I used a cloth pad on the first two days as well as I expected leaks after years of them with tampons, but only had one when I hadn’t quite inserted it correctly. Can buy on amazon.

Menstrual cup (first cycle- what a game changer!) and cloth pads

Tupperware boxes for food storage instead of sealable bags
Thanks I'll look into them. I'm so paranoid about leaking. My periods get worse with every baby I have 😔 (I'm not an absolute baby machine, only got two. And its deffinalty staying at two.)
Also do you Tupperware for freezing meat (I always bug a large pack of chciken, split into portions and freeze). I always get annoyed with using sealable bags but never given Tupperware a though?!

I always recycle & clean out tins/jars etc.

I've started consciously buying clothes, for example, I buy quality, classic items (no fast fashion & items that never goes out of fashion) that I know I could realistically own for the rest of my life, jeans, shirts, coats, blazers etc. and I really take good care of everything I own, including shoes/trainers etc (I keep all my shoes/trainers in the original packaging and stuff my shoes with the paper after use to stop them wrinkling - sad but keeps them good) I used to be the biggest culprit for an H&M/ASOS splurge to stay on top of the latest fashion.

Same goes for furniture, I won't rush to buy something cheaper until I can afford what I want. I'll hold off and purchase the item that I want that again realistically I will have for years & years to come - I generally think this is just adopting the mind set our grandparents had, my grandparents had the same stuff for 50 years and it was as good as new because they respected what they owned and kept it really good.

I've got solar panels

I always plan my dinners to minimise food waste, I buy the specific ingredients I need for the 7 days so that it all gets used up. Once I've done my shopping I will plan what days I make the meals based on the dates of the ingredients.

Gone paperless in my office and bought software to support this change.

Don't buy newspapers or magazines.

Use my iPad or Kindle for reading books.

Glass 'tupperware' from Ikea rather than plastic.

Don't use cotton pads or wipes to remove make up. Cleanser & muslin cloth.

Get my food shop delivered and use the large flexible plastic tubs to transport from door to kitchen rather than bags. These big plastic tubs are great, I've had them for years and years. I've used them as a washing basket, in the summer for kids, to home stuff in the garage you name it.

Have been getting laser hair removal for almost 8 months now, although I still have to shave the little hair I have now in between appointments, I've only used 2 razor blade heads in a year and this is soon to be none.

Thanks I'll look into them. I'm so paranoid about leaking. My periods get worse with every baby I have 😔 (I'm not an absolute baby machine, only got two. And its deffinalty staying at two.)
Also do you Tupperware for freezing meat (I always bug a large pack of chciken, split into portions and freeze). I always get annoyed with using sealable bags but never given Tupperware a though?!
I don’t freeze raw meat tbh - I cook in a batch and then freeze that in Tupperware. If you want resealable bags you can get silicone ones to reuse on amazon, my mil used them for soup.

I’ve started reusing the tubs fruit and veg come in (eg mushrooms) to hold things round the house rather than buying specific baskets. Eg I use them to organise the fridge.

I’m also vegetarian and trying to cut down on my eggs/dairy intake (only generally eating it if I eat out never buy them for the house)
I also get a lot of my skin care from Lush which use a lot of recyclable materials or have naked products

I also do a lot of secondhand shopping on depop as well though I will buy underwear, tights, swimming costumes, socks etc new!

I use reusable cotton pads to take off my make up, I only bought them last months but should have done it years ago! I refuse to use plastic carrier bags, if I don't have a bag with me I won't buy anything. I also have a fabric bag for putting loose veg in at the supermarket. I always use a reusable water bottle, try to eat meat no more than one meal a day and at least one non-meat day.

I’m also vegetarian and trying to cut down on my eggs/dairy intake (only generally eating it if I eat out never buy them for the house)
I also get a lot of my skin care from Lush which use a lot of recyclable materials or have naked products

I also do a lot of secondhand shopping on depop as well though I will buy underwear, tights, swimming costumes, socks etc new!
We started using lush solid shampoo last year and it’s fab!

Great thread idea.

We used cloth nappies and now use cloth sanitary pads/period pants.

We use bar soap and shampoo, use bamboo toothbrushes and cloth make up removing pads, use plastic free toiletries/make up.

We wash laundry on cold or 30 degrees, clean with vinegar and soap, air dry laundry and use rags to clean with rather than microfiber or paper.

We recycle.

We make our own yoghurt, spreadable butter, sourdough bread and as much as possible of what we eat is homemade, packaged in glass etc. We store things plastic free and take stainless steel water bottles, coffee cups and straws with us.

We minimise car use. We buy clothes, books, household items etc second hand wherever possible.

Because we're poor our carbon footprint is low, since we don't travel or buy extras and need to keep energy and fuel bills as low as possible. Having to take marine style showers because we dont have much hot water, fuel example, means we reduce water use and energy to heat water. We keep our house between 15 and 17 degrees largely because we're scared of the Bill's but it obviously helps the planet too.

We need to improve on some aspects because we use lots of plastic for my daughter's medication, and because of my chronic illness I need to take shortcuts sometimes that are not environmentally friendly. But right now we have to accept that.

Reactions: 3
Great thread idea.

We used cloth nappies and now use cloth sanitary pads/period pants.

We use bar soap and shampoo, use bamboo toothbrushes and cloth make up removing pads, use plastic free toiletries/make up.

We wash laundry on cold or 30 degrees, clean with vinegar and soap, air dry laundry and use rags to clean with rather than microfiber or paper.

We recycle.

We make our own yoghurt, spreadable butter, sourdough bread and as much as possible of what we eat is homemade, packaged in glass etc. We store things plastic free and take stainless steel water bottles, coffee cups and straws with us.

We minimise car use. We buy clothes, books, household items etc second hand wherever possible.

Because we're poor our carbon footprint is low, since we don't travel or buy extras and need to keep energy and fuel bills as low as possible. Having to take marine style showers because we dont have much hot water, fuel example, means we reduce water use and energy to heat water. We keep our house between 15 and 17 degrees largely because we're scared of the Bill's but it obviously helps the planet too.

We need to improve on some aspects because we use lots of plastic for my daughter's medication, and because of my chronic illness I need to take shortcuts sometimes that are not environmentally friendly. But right now we have to accept that.
You sound like my sort of person!

We also make our own bread as often as we can, and I was so pleased to get back to that as plastic wrap on normal bread isn’t something I’d ever even noticed!

when our (infrequently used anyway) tumble drier broke we didn’t replace it. Got a great big airer and dry all our washing (family of 5 and 1 in cloth nappies!!) in that.

Over the last year I have
Changed to a milkman (only buying plastic milk when using it for cooking as it’s expensive!)
Making my own bread
Using cloth nappies & wipes
Period pants and cloth pads
Using splosh refills for laundry powder, shower gel, washing up liquid, bathroom and kitchen spray, toilet cleaner
Buying pasta in one 3kg bag rather than lots of 500g ones and 1 big box of biscuits rather than little packets
Who gives a crap toilet roll
Soap bars
Safety razor
Metal straws
Mesh bags for fruit and veg
Portioning food better so less is wasted! Realised we were throwing out about half our meals, so now I freeze them and they’re good for another dinner
Asking family if they have things before we go and buy them!
Take out bottles with us so we’re not buying drinks out

Oh I’ve also started using nuud deodorant which is recyclable!

I’ve also started using who gives a crap toilet roll!
I also use Smol laundry tablets which are excellent

It’s so great having environmentally friendly essentials like toilet roll, laundry tablets, and razor blades delivered straight to your door because it’s one less thing to remember to get during your weekly shop too!

Cut down massively on meat/dairy - try and eat veggie mon to fri most weeks and only drink plant-based milk
Reusable water bottle and coffee cup
Reusable cotton pads and face cloths for removing make up
Never use those plastic bags for fruit or veg in the supermarket - such a waste
Try and walk places when I can, sadly not as easy when the weather is as terrible as it’s been lately

Always try and buy clothes sustainably - car boot sales in the summer, charity shops plus depop is excellent! Get soo many good things on there so cheap

Really want to try period pants or cloth sanitary pads so if anyone has reccomendations of tried and tested ones that work please send them my way! I would love to be able to use a menstrual cup but I don’t think I’d get it up there or be able to get it out 😂😂

Cut down massively on meat/dairy - try and eat veggie mon to fri most weeks and only drink plant-based milk
Reusable water bottle and coffee cup
Reusable cotton pads and face cloths for removing make up
Never use those plastic bags for fruit or veg in the supermarket - such a waste
Try and walk places when I can, sadly not as easy when the weather is as terrible as it’s been lately

Always try and buy clothes sustainably - car boot sales in the summer, charity shops plus depop is excellent! Get soo many good things on there so cheap

Really want to try period pants or cloth sanitary pads so if anyone has reccomendations of tried and tested ones that work please send them my way! I would love to be able to use a menstrual cup but I don’t think I’d get it up there or be able to get it out 😂😂
I got some imse vimse (I think!) cloth pads from babipur to wear as back up with my cup. I would urge you to give the cup a go. I'm very squeamish, I'd never even used a non-applicator tampon as I thought it was too horrific! But actually haven't found the cup bad at all, a little icky the first day, but quickly passed.

I’ve got modi body ones and I love them!! I’ve got 2 heavy/overnight and 1 light/moderate, I want more but it’s a bit expensive in one lump

I’ve got modi body ones and I love them!! I’ve got 2 heavy/overnight and 1 light/moderate, I want more but it’s a bit expensive in one lump
I second Modibodi. I have those and Thinx but the latter can only cope on days 4-5 for me. Modibodi have never let me down.