Endoscopy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had an endoscopy and could share their experience?

If you're a nervous person don't opt to have it while awake unless you absolutely have to. It's pretty traumatic! I had to be awake and they numb your throat with a spray, lie you down, and then talk and who you what's going to happen. I have to say the nurse I had with me was amazing and sat next to me with pillows and spit up pads as a fair amount of bile comes back up during the procedure. You also make the most horrendous belches and have to remember to breath slowly and deeply so you don't get in a panic. If you're going to be sedated there is zero to worry about as you won't know what the heck just happened to you. I stumbled out of the room with a nurse and everyone who was sedated was sitting up and having a cup of tea and biscuit while I had to wait several more hours at home before I was allowed to touch anything thanks to the numbing spray.

If you're a nervous person don't opt to have it while awake unless you absolutely have to. It's pretty traumatic! I had to be awake and they numb your throat with a spray, lie you down, and then talk and who you what's going to happen. I have to say the nurse I had with me was amazing and sat next to me with pillows and spit up pads as a fair amount of bile comes back up during the procedure. You also make the most horrendous belches and have to remember to breath slowly and deeply so you don't get in a panic. If you're going to be sedated there is zero to worry about as you won't know what the heck just happened to you. I stumbled out of the room with a nurse and everyone who was sedated was sitting up and having a cup of tea and biscuit while I had to wait several more hours at home before I was allowed to touch anything thanks to the numbing spray.
The options given to me were throat spray or sedation, although you are still awake with that. Or that is how its worded on the letter I got. How did you feel in the day or two afterwards? Was everything ok? I had a colonoscopy previously and was left in horrendous pain after that so feeling anxious about the unknown.

Hah. I had no clue you would know what was going on with the sedation. Everyone looked pretty fine propped up in their beds while I stumbled all over the place. haha
Nothing major days after. Maybe very minor sore throat but that's all. Friends who have had both would opt for the endoscope over the colonoscopy every time in terms of discomfort. If you had the colon checked I would say you have less to worry about with this procedure and none of that nasty prep. Good luck!

I had one last year and opted to stay awake for it, which in hindsight really wasn't the best decision for me. However the staff were truly amazing. Aside from the person actually doing the endoscopy, there was also 3 nurses in the room. One sprayed the sedative in my throat, and then when I started getting a bit panicky, she told me to press my fingers to my throat and feel myself swallow, which was hugely reassuring. At the same time, another nurse asked me what music I liked and then put some onto play. Then whilst they assisted during the endoscopy, the third nurse sat beside me literally stroking me hair and talking to me constantly. As Sabbie said there's a lot of belching which can feel strange but it's important to take deep breaths and stay calm.
Afterwards I went into a recovery room with everyone else, then after a quick check up I was allowed home. My throat felt a bit sore for a few days, but nothing major.

Reactions: 1
You know..for some reason I never thought about belching but yeah, it makes sense. I'm so nervous about having it done but know it's a necessity. I am in the first appointment of the day so hopefully no delays.
Sounds like you had some lovely nurses Jen. I am hoping that it may be my consultant who is doing my procedure as that would be hugely reassuring for me but who knows.

I've had two in my life, both without sedation. They do freeze your throat with anaesthetic spray. Of course the 2nd time I knew more what to expect and was tense but I'd far rather a quick procedure than staying 4/5 hours longer recovering from full sedation. The belching comes from the soles of your feet! You've no control over it and those assisting are perfectly used to it. I focused on the clock the first time, scope in for procedure less than 15 mins, including biopsies taken. Focus on your breathing and not on what they are doing. You will feel a bit wobbly after but you'll soon be fine to head home. I attended and drove myself both times. Personally I think they are very gentle and probably more so to an awake patient. Throat a little sore day after but nothing to worry about. Again I think because I was awake.

You know..for some reason I never thought about belching but yeah, it makes sense. I'm so nervous about having it done but know it's a necessity. I am in the first appointment of the day so hopefully no delays.
Sounds like you had some lovely nurses Jen. I am hoping that it may be my consultant who is doing my procedure as that would be hugely reassuring for me but who knows.
Good luck with it. Just stay calm. Hope you're results and investigations are nothing to worry about. xx

Ah well counting to 60 fifteen times would give me something to do in order to distract from what’s going on 😂 ah thank you all for your sharing your experiences.

I had one 3 years ago, I opted for the sedation. All I remember is gagging then being through in the recovery room.
I think I got out about an hour later and my husband collected me.
I remember feeling very tired later that day and went for a nap, my husband told me i had been speaking to myself 😂
I was told I couldn't drive for 24 hours. When I woke up the next day I felt back to normal.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your support. Had it done this morning using throat spray and it wasn’t bad at all! Finally got my diagnosis so worth it in the end.

Reactions: 3
Glad it went well for you ponyta and that you have a diagnosis now

Nice to hear how you got on. Glad it went well and you've got a diagnosis. Hope all works out for you. xx