Dubai

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

It's hard to see how it will ever recover from covid-19, it was on the brink even before this and in a matter of months most of the hotels and buisness could all be closed. It's fascinating as a case study. As it's 80% expats surely these have almost all gone now? Houses and the stock market peaked long before covid-19 and the population was falling.

Last edited:
The expats are still there. My cousin lives there. Their lockdown was far, far stricter than ours. They weren’t even allowed out without a permit.

Reactions: 1
It's been a bit of a bubble really. My father went out to the Gulf in 1948 as a cargo superintendent and my mother followed a year later. I grew up in Bahrain in the 1960s and 1970s, while my brother was born in Abadan in Iran, and my parents had also lived in Basra and Kuwait City. Abu Dhabi and Dubain were quite honestly a bit of undeveloped backwaters; Dad was in charge of Dubai port services in the 1970s and it was starting to develop from a backwater creek full of dhows. It was only in the 1980s and 1990s that it turned into a flash money-rich town, and some of the expatriates it attracted really didn't know how to behave. Dad's best friend, who'd been out also since the late 1940s, was based there and had several stories about the goings on and tacky behaviour. There always have been links with western women throughout the Gulf (we all knew about the current Emir of Bahrain's father having "Mrs Manchester" installed in a seaside villa next to his) and Saudi used to be a bit stone faced about all the people going over to Bahrain for the weekend and having to be poured back with hangovers (Bahrain had off-licences too!) but Dubai seems to have become a haven for tack, flash, naff and in effect prostitution. Obviously this doesn't apply to all the residents but I simply don't see the attraction in the place.

A friend teaches in Muscat, which is still in lockdown with the borders closed, and it seems a much nicer, quieter and more restrained place. She loves it.

I lived there for three years in 2006. Mixed opinions on it, loved the lifestyle at face value - being treat like royalty because of my race. I had a good group of friends and we were young, loved the sun, beaches, food, shopping, etc. But it has a darker side that unfortunately if you’re there long enough you may witness. Parts of the place are very corrupt, seedy goings on that are controlled by the government (who control EVERYTHING, including media). This was at least when I was there, I know it’s become a lot more popular since and maybe not as strict as it once was

Reactions: 2
My friend is living out there and judging by her Instagram stories they are carrying on as normal 😟

Reactions: 2
I lived in Dubai for 4 years prior to lockdown. I am moving back in August (all going well). It's a great place to live but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.