Dog suffering from separation anxiety?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning guys!

Our little Jack Russell is about 18 months old now and he's always been a total legend with his bedtime routine! Out for a wee, handful of nibbles, and then straight in his bed with a treat! But he's started to cry on a night and during the day now I'm back at work.. he stays in the kitchen while we are out and our neighbours have told us how distressed he sounds while we are at work :(
The other night I had to come downstairs to try and calm him down and he was just shaking and crying, he wouldn't get in his bed and he wouldn't have his bedtime bonio! I give him my dressing gown and put a little lamp on for him and it seems to have calmed him down the last 2 nights but I'm dreading leaving him to go to work this week!

My other half has worked all through lockdown but I've been at home with him everyday, I've recently gone back to work but my shifts are different each week so he doesn't really have a routine as such yet! But I am back to my normal hours as of next month so hopefully we can get him back to his normal self!

He's been a little spoilt recently we took him for a week away with us and he spent every minute of every day with us and we've been letting him sleep upstairs more than usual and when he's crying we give in to him and bring him up, so we are totally at fault!

I've been looking at anti anxiety medication from pets at home and I'm just wondering if anyone has used any in particular and have had any success with them? I know we should consider visiting the vets but I just want to try and fix it myself, he's such a good dog, he's always settled really well and I think it really is just a case of him being spoilt over the last few months! I think once I'm back to normality I think he will be too!

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Perhaps try the adaptil plug in. It seemed to help our very anxious dog. Good luck.

Reactions: 1
Can you get him a little friend? We got our second dog recently and they're best buds, wouldn't be without eachother. Or what about a dog walker to pop in and take him out to break up the time?

Fellow Jack Russell Mum here ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜‚

My girl is ten and has anxiety at times. We have tried the plug ins etc but the best money we ever spent was on a dog behaviourist website called doggy dan. I think he is from New Zealand. It was quite reasonably priced I think.

Basically he advises some basic, firm but kind rules that really helped my dog settle. He does not use any form of negative reinforcement at all.

He has a system of five golden rules and heaps of videos that you can watch to help owners.

Dogs are pack animals and get stressed by feeling that they are the alpha in our human lives because they have no control over what we do. Eg when the owners leave the home some dogs gets stressed or destructive.

This trainer basically gives you the tools to show your dog that you are the leader of the pack and that they donโ€™t have to worry about anything other than being a dog and chilling out and sleeping ๐Ÿ™‚

It takes a little bit of time to iron out bigger issues obvs but it can give some really quick results for smaller issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Can you get him a little friend? We got our second dog recently and they're best buds, wouldn't be without eachother. Or what about a dog walker to pop in and take him out to break up the time?
Awwh I wish we could! But we have 2 cats as well! They are both indoor cats so cleaning up, changing litter trays and entertaining them all is hard work as it is - as much as I would love another dog I don't think I would cope! :(
I do only work a few hours in a morning and it was never an issue for him before lockdown so I'm hoping when I return to my full regular hours he gets back into his routine!
Fellow Jack Russell Mum here ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜‚

My girl is ten and has anxiety at times. We have tried the plug ins etc but the best money we ever spent was on a dog behaviourist website called doggy dan. I think he is from New Zealand. It was quite reasonably priced I think.

Basically he advises some basic, firm but kind rules that really helped my dog settle. He does not use any form of negative reinforcement at all.

He has a system of five golden rules and heaps of videos that you can watch to help owners.

Dogs are pack animals and get stressed by feeling that they are the alpha in our human lives because they have no control over what we do. Eg when the owners leave the home some dogs gets stressed or destructive.

This trainer basically gives you the tools to show your dog that you are the leader of the pack and that they donโ€™t have to worry about anything other than being a dog and chilling out and sleeping ๐Ÿ™‚

It takes a little bit of time to iron out bigger issues obvs but it can give some really quick results for smaller issues.
Awwh! They are just the best dogs! ๐Ÿ˜
That sounds brilliant! I'll have a good look at him now! Thank you so much for sharing that! :)
He's always been really good and adapted well to being alone at times, he's just mega clingy at the minute! I've been up since 5 o'clock this morning and he has spent the full day on my knee or following me around the house while I do house work! I really hope he gets back into his routine - its breaking my heart :(

Awwh I wish we could! But we have 2 cats as well! They are both indoor cats so cleaning up, changing litter trays and entertaining them all is hard work as it is - as much as I would love another dog I don't think I would cope! :(
I do only work a few hours in a morning and it was never an issue for him before lockdown so I'm hoping when I return to my full regular hours he gets back into his routine!

Awwh! They are just the best dogs! ๐Ÿ˜
That sounds brilliant! I'll have a good look at him now! Thank you so much for sharing that! :)
He's always been really good and adapted well to being alone at times, he's just mega clingy at the minute! I've been up since 5 o'clock this morning and he has spent the full day on my knee or following me around the house while I do house work! I really hope he gets back into his routine - its breaking my heart :(
They are amazing ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah Iโ€™d really recommend him. The website and videos arenโ€™t Hollywood quality but the guy has a true love of dogs and their well being. Such a simple idea but the difference in her is like chalk and cheese.

I did feel a wee bit mean when we first implemented the 5 rules but stick with it. Ignore the puppy dog eyes and pleas for attention, otherwise you just wind up right back where you were.

Our girl has come on leaps and bounds. Instead of being stressed out at times she just happily sleeps and hangs out now. Much happier dog, still sassy though, can never dampen down a JRT ๐Ÿ˜‚