Does anyone use Costco (UK)?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Before lockdown I used to be able to get what I needed when I needed. I've now found myself with an extra mouth to feed and we are getting through food fast and finding it hard to get some bits ( like flour) that I am using a lot of. I've been buying bulk staple items on Amazon but I'd prefer to see it before I buy it.

Nearest Costco is about a 45 minute drive from me. I've seen US vloggers using it, it looks good. Are the UK Costco's as good? I'm thinking of buying a second freezer and going once a month to do a really big shop.I know I'm going to fall victim to the cakes and muffins but we buy a lot of certain items - eggs, milk, diet coke, rice, oats, meat, frozen berries, veggies, pet food, cat litter - I could go on... I can get a membership but I know I can't give it a test run before I commit. Anyone else use it and find it worthwhile?

I've used it before, although our membership has now expired. We found it wasn't actually that much cheaper than Tesco where we shop. We thought buying large washing powders would be cheaper but if you actually took the time to work it out it was often a really similar price. However it's probably easier if you need to bulk buy

Reactions: 1
We love it but only for certain things (loo roll, washing liquid, sparkling water, fresh meat etc) the packages are massive so you have to work out if you can either use it or store it before the expiry date. We have one very close so it’s not a trek, although haven’t been since lockdown as the queues have been ridiculous and couldn’t be bothered to stand in queues like that to save a couple of quid. They also sell all sorts of random stuff so I like a look at that too. Not always cheaper for other things, so have to weigh up if you’ll save what you spend on membership (also have to check you’d be eligible for one) and fuel driving the extra distance

Reactions: 3
I've used it before, although our membership has now expired. We found it wasn't actually that much cheaper than Tesco where we shop. We thought buying large washing powders would be cheaper but if you actually took the time to work it out it was often a really similar price. However it's probably easier if you need to bulk buy
We love it but only for certain things (loo roll, washing liquid, sparkling water, fresh meat etc) the packages are massive so you have to work out if you can either use it or store it before the expiry date. We have one very close so it’s not a trek, although haven’t been since lockdown as the queues have been ridiculous and couldn’t be bothered to stand in queues like that to save a couple of quid. They also sell all sorts of random stuff so I like a look at that too. Not always cheaper for other things, so have to weigh up if you’ll save what you spend on membership (also have to check you’d be eligible for one) and fuel driving the extra distance
Thank you both. That sounds positive to me. I know cost-wise it might not make much difference but for convenience it sounds good, I've heard the quality is good too. We don't get takeaways really any more, or coffees, or sandwiches out so it feels like our at home consumption has multiplied. I just want to buy in bulk, know I have it and can forget about needing to get more for the month. I forgot about loo roll, sparkling water and kitchen roll etc - those are exactly the things we use a lot of too, so that's encouraging.

We definitely get our membership back in savings. You get an offer brochure too so can see if there’s stuff you need and time your visits for extra savings. Avoid the more expensive membership they try to sell you, gives you some money back but unless you’re spending a lot we found it wasn’t worth it for us

Reactions: 2
Thank you both. That sounds positive to me. I know cost-wise it might not make much difference but for convenience it sounds good, I've heard the quality is good too. We don't get takeaways really any more, or coffees, or sandwiches out so it feels like our at home consumption has multiplied. I just want to buy in bulk, know I have it and can forget about needing to get more for the month. I forgot about loo roll, sparkling water and kitchen roll etc - those are exactly the things we use a lot of too, so that's encouraging.
They do have a couple of counters where you can get fresh made ready meals like lasagne and cottage pie. We've bought those a couple of times for a quick meal and they're lovely, if you did need something like that

Their giant cakes make it worth the trip. I got a membership before lockdown so I’ve only been the once. A lot of stuff wasn’t much or at all cheaper than Tesco but it’s convenient if you need to buy a huge pack of something. If you buy branded items I can definitely see where savings could be made (washing powder, toilet roll etc) but if like me you mostly by Tesco brand then it’s not much of a money saver. They do have tons of good snacks though and I’ll definitely be stocking up there at Christmas.

It’s definitely worth it if you want to bulk buy! Just make sure you have enough room to store it all 😂
I always buy tea, coffee, sugar, beans, loo roll, tins, dry foods, bleach (my fav 🥰🤣), cleaning/washing things! And then the husbands throws in a few extras that end up upping the price 😂 A few cheeky handbags have been purchased too 😜
And you’ll end up coming out with half a trolly of things you don’t need 😂🙈

Reactions: 4
It isn’t cheaper when you take into account supermarket deals like BOGOF but it’s more convenient for a lot of people because you can buy more of it. We go once a month and stock up on meat as it’s great quality, and trays of drinks because my kids get through so much of it

The bakery stuff is it a bit too good and as someone else has said the cakes are great. Really good at Christmas too

You do obviously have to qualify for membership though so as long as you can do that it would be worth the membership fee, I’m sure

And get the jacket potato from the cafe. It’s about £1.50 and massive. Plus drinks come with a free refil so if you’ve got kids it’s a cheap place for lunch

The cafe on the way out was our incentive for going. 16” pizza for £8! We got our memberships through an offer on groupon. It was £35 but we got two roast chickens, a carrot cake, and massive pack of batteries and something else for free which made it entirely worth it. I love it for the novelty but our membership ran out and we don’t qualify for another one since changing employment .

My parents have a card and I have one too but I don’t live close so I don’t really go. They go quite a bit, pre lockdown, I would agree with what’s been said, I don think it’s actually that much cheaper unless it’s on offer but great for loo roll, etc. I tend to avoid fresh as it’s too much for our family.

We have membership and love it. Whilst I agree that price wise it's similar to supermarkets, the quality is so much better.

I don't think the cakes are that tasty tbh, but I can taste the preservatives etc in them. Their cookies though are gorgeous. 🙊

My parents have a card, I used to love a little browse when I visit them! I need to change jobs so I can get a membership of my own 🤦🏼‍♀️

I love Costco! We bulk buy all our toilet roll/kitchen roll/washing liquids/dishwasher tablets/shower gels/razor blades/vitamins, tea, coffee etc and it saves a fortune on the weekly shop throughout the year. Also love their hot dogs, bags of frozen chicken tenders (amazing), fries, cheese, pates and things like that. All big bags but last for ages in the freezer. They do big trays of meat you can potion up and freeze. The cakes are unreal.

I've also bought fab books for the kids much cheaper than the likes of WH Smith, Toys, stationary etc.

I love Costco! We bulk buy all our toilet roll/kitchen roll/washing liquids/dishwasher tablets/shower gels/razor blades/vitamins, tea, coffee etc and it saves a fortune on the weekly shop throughout the year. Also love their hot dogs, bags of frozen chicken tenders (amazing), fries, cheese, pates and things like that. All big bags but last for ages in the freezer. They do big trays of meat you can potion up and freeze. The cakes are unreal.

I've also bought fab books for the kids much cheaper than the likes of WH Smith, Toys, stationary etc.
THE STATIONERY!! I love that aisle! 😂
Chicken tenders are lovely. Have you had the cheese sticks? They're lovely too

My kids (older teens) inhale those things. I think I'm definitely going to do it, just need to think of a quiet time to go and get a membership.

Thanks everyone for the responses, all very interesting :)

• Heart
THE STATIONERY!! I love that aisle! 😂
My favourite!!:love:

We love Costco! Their meat is really good quality and we bulk buy a lot of their food for our chest freezer.

• Heart