Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it! #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You can encourage her to seek professional help if her shopping habits are causing her distress and help her explore healthier coping mechanisms or hobbies that don't involve spending money but ultimately, it's up to her to recognize and address her own behaviour.
+1 to this. OP it sounds like the best investment your friend could make in herself/her image is a great course of therapy that gets to the root of this & gives her more useful/kind thoughts to practice to avoid that damaging cyclical thinking. It definitely feels beyond the realms of normal trouble shooting you do for friends when life strikes, this feels like a deep settled root that needs proper therapy to fix.

Reactions: 4
I just remembered this piece of wisdom an old guy used to tell me had been advised to his spendthrift wife. "If you want to save money Margery stay out of the shops!"
Short and succinct. 😃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I seen a thing last night that said 'do you really want the item or do you want people to know you have the item'

Its a form of seeking acceptance. It hit me hard.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Thanks so much for the “shocked” reactions to my post about how much I’m spending on taxis
It’s really making me stick to public transport and walk past m and s without buying a little sweet treat

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My credit card bill came this morning. This was the first time in a long time that I've spent more than I've earned in a month. Some were private healthcare expenses, but not all and not big enough a portion to ease my annoyance with myself. It's been a good wake-up call.

• Heart
I'm finding this month the hardest so far 🫠. I started properly budgeting and focusing on paying off debt end of Jan/start of Feb and it's been going well... This month feels looonnnng though, and I'm just feeling frustrated with myself that I'm even having to pay off debt rather than adding every penny to our future house deposit. Still have £3k on a credit card and next/very accounts to pay off over the next 8 months. I know one year in the grand scheme of things is nothing at all, and I'm lucky I can pay it off in that time, but oh my god it's depressing 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Stay positive @Peachy9. It’s a hard slog and at one time I couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I got there in the end and am now debt free. 3 years ago I felt like I was drowning. Sending you positive vibes.

• Heart
Stay positive @Peachy9. It’s a hard slog and at one time I couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I got there in the end and am now debt free. 3 years ago I felt like I was drowning. Sending you positive vibes.
Thanks @Serene Serena. Its always reassuring to hear positive stories like yours on here ❤
I think it's tricky as my previous coping strategy when feeling down was to shop! But now I can't do that and haven't really put anything else in it's place. We took a long (free) walk in the last few days of bluebells today which, as twee as it sounds, cheered me right up!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think it's tricky as my previous coping strategy when feeling down was to shop! But now I can't do that and haven't really put anything else in it's place.
That's the thing, isn't it? When it's so convenient and stimulating, it's hard to substitute. Had to talk some sense into myself today when I was considering a little pick me up. I'm glad your walk cheered you up!

Reactions: 3