Depression - does it ever go?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree with this, I’ve always felt like there’s something under the surface, I like you am very creative and sensitive, and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t feeling on edge or anxious or like a deep melancholy sadness about nothing in particular
Same here. I don't know any other way of life. I am so baffled by positive, happy people. I am really emotional, I would cry if someone looks crooked at me. So I never get into confrontation or stick up for myself, as I am afraid I'll burst out crying.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I also often always feel melancholy. It's often there in the background. I think that is my natural state. Things bother and upset me that other people seem oblivious to. I'm rather anxious too and this is my default state although sometimes it takes over a bit.
I've had times where my mood becomes lower and I also get quite hormonal too.

In response to the original question, I think depression can come from within and I think it can be a response to circumstances too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was first diagnosed with depression at 14. I'm 29 now. To be honest I don't think it really does. It seems like for me anyway that it's always there in the background, some days clearer then others.

I did therapy for 4 years and I just learnt how to cope with it better, but my goodness the tiredness! I'm always tired.

I just try to go with the flow now. Sometimes I feel like I'm on top of the world, others I can't get out of bed. Sounds simplistic but I'm just taking it one day at a time. One moment at a time.

I try to get an hour of exercise outside just walking, sometimes laps indoors. I've also been doing the probiotic drink for the past three weeks+. I started the vitamin D too, but lapsed with it (even though the tablets have been on my table).

I also built a stronger support network from friends for those wobbly times. I called one of my bestie in tears and she literally came over right away even though I didn't expect her too. I've also spent a lot of times on her sofa when I knew I shouldn't be on my own. I'm active on other forums too.

This song sums it up pretty well for me:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Same here, I'm constantly tired. Had all the blood tests going, but all clear. I've been on and off antidepressants over the years. I'm going to counselling now, but I don't think it really helps long term.
People seem to think that you can go to counselling, have this amazing breakthrough, and you're cured. It doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Reactions: 2
I don’t think depression ever completely goes away. However, your ability to handle it changes throughout the years too, depending on the circumstances surrounding it. I have had depression on and off since childhood. Some days all I want to do is stay in bed and bury myself there. I find getting out of my pajamas and having to shower exhausting on some days, but I have to force myself to do it. Gardening and nature helps with my depression, in fact it is pretty much the only things keeping me alive.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think for me, it’s always there in the background. I have periods where I feel good, but something will happen which most people would find stressful but ultimately forget about it in a couple of hours. I won’t be able to forget about it and will have really negative thoughts (I won’t go into any further detail as it may be triggering). I also echo what another poster has said about not being able to get into confrontation in case they start crying, I feel the same.

Having said that, at the moment I am in a good place and I feel grateful to an extent that it currently takes something to happen to trigger those thoughts, rather than experiencing it all of the time, like I do when I’m in a bad period.

Sending love to everyone. It takes a lot to battle your brain everyday💕

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I don’t want to derail this thread or make it all about me rather than the OP but I just want to say thank you to everyone who has commented here. I’m really struggling with my mental health this evening after being on a pretty even keel for a while and your posts have really made me feel like I’m not on my own. Depression and anxiety can be the loneliest of feelings ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Try therapy it definitely helps. Just have the strength to stick through it gets worse before it gets better!

Reactions: 1