Depression - does it ever go?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had depression on and off for a number of years. I am on another anti-depressant and we’re running out of options.

This is the worst spell it’s been and it’s based on a family situation that won’t change, it’s something I have to deal with...but I feel unable to. I come on here, I get involved and have a laugh but I log back off and go back to life and inside I’m despairing.

Im quite open with people about how I feel so I don’t know if talking therapy is what I’m missing. Plus what’s the point in talking and crying and nothing changes.

Im just wondering if I’m missing a trick. Thanks in advance.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
So sorry you’re feeling like this! ☹❤ I don’t have depression but I have really bad anxiety and I feel exactly the same as you, that nothing will change and it’s never ending and exhausting. I understand how you feel about feeling unable to tackle your family issue, but it sounds like that’s the very thing holding you back! I have counselling and actually I’m stuck on something atm, and I know it’s making my anxiety and ocd ticks even worse. I really recommend it! It can be slow going, I’ve been in counselling since 2014, and lockdown has brought other stuff to the surface for me which I’m starting to tackle, it’s not a linear journey but you really do feel better for it! It’s about finding the right fit for you, I really recommend going private if you are able, shop around for the right fit for you. They can help you find a way to tackle whatever issues you have, sometimes you’d be surprised at the route you take to tackle the problem! I hope you can find a way through to help bring you some peace ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Firstly I can fully sympathise with how you feel 💕

For me, it’s always there. This week has been particularly bad for no apparent reason. I can’t sleep on a night and I don’t want to get up on a morning. It’s a constant black cloud over me. I’ve been on a few antidepressants and had therapy but it’s always ‘there’. I have anxiety too so the 2 combined just fight each other 🙁

I wish I could be more helpful, but be kind to yourself. Try and focus on the ‘now’ x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
So sorry you are feeling like this @LennyBriscoe. I have suffered with depression for a few years now and have tried a few different medications, I now take Sertraline which has been the best for me so far and I am managing much better now. I did have counselling a few years ago and it helped massively. Made me address some issues I didn’t even know I had they were buried so deeply! Sending love, our brains can be such a dark place when they aren’t working right 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I don’t know if depression ever completely goes.. I had a really bad spell but had counselling and have improved like 95%. However, I live in fear that if things go wrong in my life, I will spiral again and it’s so difficult to climb up out of the big black hole that is depression.

I think it’s just about being mindful of what your triggers are. Good luck with your journey x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Firstly I can fully sympathise with how you feel 💕

For me, it’s always there. This week has been particularly bad for no apparent reason. I can’t sleep on a night and I don’t want to get up on a morning. It’s a constant black cloud over me. I’ve been on a few antidepressants and had therapy but it’s always ‘there’. I have anxiety too so the 2 combined just fight each other 🙁

I wish I could be more helpful, but be kind to yourself. Try and focus on the ‘now’ x
Totally agree with this. Focusing on the now is something I’ve had to work at so hard but it brings me peace when I just take day at at a time

• Heart
I have anxiety and depression for over 20 years. It always lurks in the background, and escalates at times. I have been on antidepressants on and off, but this time, they caused tinnitus. So my anxiety is off the scale and I cant take anything. I have handed in my notice at work, as I am being bullied. I completely blame my condition for not being able to handle assholes, and letting them get to me. I hate this.

• Heart
I don’t think it does 😔 I’ve suffered since my teens, over half of my life now. Various medications have not really worked for me. I left my job after the first lockdown as it was making my anxiety so bad and I was making myself ill. I’m more depressed than ever, can’t face more than taking the dog on a walk most days so I really have no purpose in life. My boyfriend works away and I can’t even be bothered to look after myself or eat properly when I’m on my own. Some days are ok and then others I just want to go to bed and not wake up. It’s a constant fight with my mind.

I’ve had a few months before where I’ve barely felt depressed and it’s the most content feeling ever but then the next day depression will just hit me again like a tonne of bricks. Mine has not improved in about a year now.

I think you just have to accept that maybe you’re always going to suffer from depression but get as much help and support as possible to manage it. I should take my own advice but I’m in such a low state at the moment that I can’t drag myself out of it.

Sending everyone who’s struggling lots of love, life is tough 💕

• Heart
I’ve had depression on and off for a number of years. I am on another anti-depressant and we’re running out of options.

This is the worst spell it’s been and it’s based on a family situation that won’t change, it’s something I have to deal with...but I feel unable to. I come on here, I get involved and have a laugh but I log back off and go back to life and inside I’m despairing.

Im quite open with people about how I feel so I don’t know if talking therapy is what I’m missing. Plus what’s the point in talking and crying and nothing changes.

My depression goes back to when I was very young and I’d say the best it’s got is periods of “low mood”. I refused medication and the quick-fix talking therapies made me feel more helpless, but I’ve recently been doing intensive CBT with a proper therapist. This time I’ve kept an open mind because I was at a very low ebb.

Obviously I trace a lot of the depression to a turbulent childhood. I entered the sessions looking to address social anxiety/perfectionism, then it quickly led on to self-worth. I have never practiced self-compassion and didn’t realise how this impacts your entire life. I always thought self-worth was The Secret/journaling mumbo jumbo. Sounds silly if you know about identity, but I was raised/conditioned that my existence was to meet other peoples’ needs, I didn’t have my own.

Even just having someone (professional) external to your family to bounce ideas off about what you’re going through I’d say could be really beneficial, at least you wouldn’t be despairing alone ❤

• Heart
I suffered with depressed when I was at uni, I took sertraline and after 1.5 years I was “normal” again. I didn’t get low mood, no dark thoughts, and I am much much happier. So I guess you can say it “went away”.

however, rarely, if something bad happens, I find I overreact so heavily. I start getting really dark thoughts and crazy feelings again, but they only last a few hours? I’m not sure why this happens, and maybe I’m highly emotional. I’m not sure if this is depression, because like I said the feelings don’t even last 12 hours. But once I’m over it, I’m happy again

sorry I’m not more helpful! But in short, yes I think depression can go away for the meantime, but certain situations and events can stir up those feelings again

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I suffered with depressed when I was at uni, I took sertraline and after 1.5 years I was “normal” again. I didn’t get low mood, no dark thoughts, and I am much much happier. So I guess you can say it “went away”.

however, rarely, if something bad happens, I find I overreact so heavily. I start getting really dark thoughts and crazy feelings again, but they only last a few hours? I’m not sure why this happens, and maybe I’m highly emotional. I’m not sure if this is depression, because like I said the feelings don’t even last 12 hours. But once I’m over it, I’m happy again

sorry I’m not more helpful! But in short, yes I think depression can go away for the meantime, but certain situations and events can stir up those feelings again
Completely agree with this - it’s difficult for anything to disappear if there’s an ongoing situation that’ll trigger it.

I don’t want to be one of those ~have you tried~ arseholes so I’m sorry, but I was always really cynical of CBT cos it felt like therapy lite but it’s really helped me manage inevitable “part of every day life” triggers for my anxiety (appreciate it’ll vary for depression), entering that doomsday anxiety vortex, and build a resilience plan for living that helps me cope in a healthy way / be assertive / shaped an outlook that’s generally me being kinder to myself. I’ve also always defined myself as an anxious person, I can’t do or don’t like XYZ, in the same way I’m from X and am Y years old I’m anxious, etc etc but CBT helps you shift your world view a little bit so you don’t default to that response if any of that makes sense at all (post night feed blur here!). It was quite a freeing experience tbh which was mad as I honestly thought it was bollocks therapy for babies. From a practical PoV you can ask your GP for a referral to IAPT, I’d hope you’d be prioritised in the waiting list tbh...

Sorry not very useful I just saw your username and had to reply. Sending so much love to you and a massive hug, there is always a way. I’ve wanted to message you a few times on here but haven’t been able to! xxxxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Ask if you can go back to the old medication. I found that switching the medicines around works for me, and stops me reaching the effects of tolerance. That works for me. Also, don't be hard on yourself. You can't help being ill.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I suffered with depression for many years throughout my teens and 20s on and off. At 30, I started taking 5HTP, chromium and vitamin D. Honestly, for me, it was like a cure. I took it for about a year and if I feel down now my first option is vit d.

• Heart
In answer to your question. I wouldn't say look at it as getting rid of depression, more learn how to manage and minimize it's affect. Therapy wise you can't go wrong working with an experienced Therapist who offers either CBT, IPT or CfD.

• Heart
Sending love to everyone who has struggled or is struggling with depression. ❤ It's a beast and for many of us it never really goes away.

For me I had to work hard to find a good combination of therapy, medication and trying to better other aspects of my life (being healthy, social, in a comfortable job) which I know isn't easy for anyone. Those things help build that resilience and a toolbox to manage better when you go through a low period again.

I find I can bounce back quicker when I have a low period now, but I still dread something big coming up that sets me right back again ☹

• Heart
From my experience i feel that one could have been born with it. I was always a very sensitive child and always had this underlying feeling that the world isnt for me. As an adult when a parent passed away or any other major life trauma's my depression got worse. On the outside i am a bubbly, always smiling person but inside i feel pain all the time. I am also an artistic person and i kinda wonder if people like us feels to much

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you so much to everyone who replied, I’m so grateful for your honesty.

I don’t think the question I asked was as important before because I always bounced back eventually. But this time I feel like I won’t but I’m also focusing too much on “why do I have to keep bouncing back? Why can’t I just get a break from tough times?” which isn’t healthy.

I had a course of CBT and it didn’t really help but that could have been because I was sceptical. The Doctor focussed on breaking the habit of thinking everything would go wrong and likening my thoughts to trains - I don’t have to get onboard with every one that comes into the station.

I’ve looked into Counsellors and Therapists in my area.

Thanks again ♥

In answer to your question. I wouldn't say look at it as getting rid of depression, more learn how to manage and minimize it's affect. Therapy wise you can't go wrong working with an experienced Therapist who offers either CBT, IPT or CfD.
Was coming to say the exact same thing! Don’t look at your metal health as a linear line of improvement throughout your life. Life has many daily stressors, life events and curveballs to deal with that can test your emotional resilience at any time. It’s better to focus on acknowledging when you’re in a dark spot and what tools and resources can you use to cope better. Then, the next time you recognise things starting to spiral, you are better equipped to deal with it. It took me around 3 years to understand my mental health after being diagnosed, what my triggers are, what I can do to get back in control. Some people will take years to understand theirs, you can’t rush it, it’ll eventually click and you know what works for you. Hope you feel better soon xxx

• Heart
I think it’s something that will always be there but you learn to manage it. I know for myself it’s not as straightforward as getting rid of it. I don’t think I’ll ever be free of it, I’ve been depressed from childhood and have many demons. I can’t comment on therapy as it’s not something I have personally felt able to seek out. I’ve accepted that I will have good days and bad.

• Heart
From my experience i feel that one could have been born with it. I was always a very sensitive child and always had this underlying feeling that the world isnt for me. As an adult when a parent passed away or any other major life trauma's my depression got worse. On the outside i am a bubbly, always smiling person but inside i feel pain all the time. I am also an artistic person and i kinda wonder if people like us feels to much
Agree with this, I’ve always felt like there’s something under the surface, I like you am very creative and sensitive, and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t feeling on edge or anxious or like a deep melancholy sadness about nothing in particular

• Heart
Reactions: 7