Dbs check advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi there I am looking to see if anyone knows or has any advice and the Internet is giving me all different answers. I have applied for a job in a school (non teaching role). I have no criminal record other than an arrest for suspected burglary. It sounds bad and judge me if you wish, but it was all because of a nasty ex partner 8 years ago. I wasn't charged for this as he later dropped the allegation and the police said there was not enough evidence anyway because I didn't do it he was just very spiteful. I live a law abiding life and have been in no trouble since. I am just worried that this could stop me getting a job I so desperately want or am I just wasting my time and will never pass a check?

Reactions: 2
Were you cautioned? AFAIK it wouldn’t show an arrest but would a caution/charge/conviction

EDIT: A cursory google says the police can choose to disclose any information they deem necessary. So it’s not clear cut, sorry

I think you’ll be fine.
I have a caution on mine from 22 years ago but the infant school I asked to do my placement in were ok about it, I just had a private chat with the headteacher about the circumstances.
I don’t think anything will come back on yours.

Reactions: 1
Hi there I am looking to see if anyone knows or has any advice and the Internet is giving me all different answers. I have applied for a job in a school (non teaching role). I have no criminal record other than an arrest for suspected burglary. It sounds bad and judge me if you wish, but it was all because of a nasty ex partner 8 years ago. I wasn't charged for this as he later dropped the allegation and the police said there was not enough evidence anyway because I didn't do it he was just very spiteful. I live a law abiding life and have been in no trouble since. I am just worried that this could stop me getting a job I so desperately want or am I just wasting my time and will never pass a check?
I live in Scotland and work in a profession where I have the equivalent, PVG, if you were never convicted of anything it shouldn’t show up.

I also imagine the rehab of offenders would be similar in England and even if you had been convicted may also be considered spent by now anyway.

Give them a ring and ask if you’re concerned but I don’t think you need to worry

Were you cautioned? AFAIK it wouldn’t show an arrest but would a caution/charge/conviction

EDIT: A cursory google says the police can choose to disclose any information they deem necessary. So it’s not clear cut, sorry
I know that is what worries me hopefully they don't see it necessary as they can see I have been in no trouble since and some years have passed but they might be strict if working in a school and I wouldn't blame them. Thank you

I know that is what worries me hopefully they don't see it necessary as they can see I have been in no trouble since and some years have passed but they might be strict if working in a school and I wouldn't blame them. Thank you
Have you applied? Part of me would want to mention it first, in case it comes up, but then you would need to explain it and I’m guessing it’s not a simple story! And it may not come up.

Have you applied? Part of me would want to mention it first, in case it comes up, but then you would need to explain it and I’m guessing it’s not a simple story! And it may not come up.
I have applied and had an interview. They asked on the application do you have any criminal convictions I said no as technically I don't I was never charged, and yeah I am abit nervous about it so didn't want to mention it like you say incase It never came up, Thank you

It 100% won’t show! It can only show if you have been convicted for something or are in the process of being convicted for something which you would obviously know about.

It is possible that an arrest may show up on an enhanced dbs check. Have you applied for the dbs? They aren't taking too long at the moment.

I work for a local authority and know a lot of people who have had enhanced DBS checks. An arrest can show up if they think it's pertinent to the job you are applying for. It's best to always disclose any interaction with the police. Often the envelope that you put your disclosure form in isn't opened until your DBS comes back and is only opened if there's something on it so your privacy is respected.

It's quite unfair, I think because if you have been cautioned or convicted, once they are 'spent' they won't show up on any DBS check unless it's sex offender type stuff but arrests and PNDs do not have a statute of limitations on them. In effect you are punished forever if you didn't do anything really bad.

However, I remember someone, who applied at a school, had loads of arrests and cautions for shoplifting and fraud. She didn't disclose it but when the DBS came back to her she took it to prospective manager and explained everything to him - this was also due to an abusive ex and he took pity on her and gave the job because her record was nothing to do with children.

The DBS record should come to you and not the organisation you are applying for a job with so you'll know in advance if it's on it, you won't be blind sided by it and they can't see it until you show it to them.

It depends what DBS you are getting - because it’s with kids it will be enhanced and possibly with barred list. It’s not really so much about whether or not you are teaching but whether or not you will be unsupervised with them, how long for, and especially doing personal care. I have to order DBS checks as part of my job and have had one myself working w vulnerable kids so I know a bit about this but not loads.

The only time it’s illegal to employ you is if you have done something which would put you on the barred list which you haven’t (to simplify it, those offences entail violent or predatory behaviour, esp towards kids). It’s up to the employer’s discretion beyond that. The Mind website says that a theft will always show up, and an enhanced dbs can pull up an arrest even without caution - the police may or may not put it on there if they think it is pertinent. I would expect it to be on there tbh, but I don’t think it would be normal for this to cost you the job.

If they give you an offer pending the DBS, I would ask to speak to the employer at XYZ time (ie make time to discuss it) and just lay it on the table. Better to get it off your chest and in a composed, reflective way than be caught off guard. They’ll appreciate that you are being straight with it I think, esp. if you emphasise it’s been years since and you have had no trouble aside from that - and if you say you’d understand if this would stop them from hiring you, Realistically SLT now have to have a strong understanding of social work principles so they will probably be sympathetic. When I worked at a school a couple people working as TAs had much more recent convictions for weed possession which showed up on the DBS and it was fine following a considered conversation with SLT.

TL;DR: chances are it will come up, but it’s not illegal to employ you - best to preempt it and raise it with them in a considered way, and it will probably be OK.

Last edited:
So I didn't get the job I originally posted this about but I got offered the same role with a different school. I just got my enhanced certificate and it came back all clean I am so relieved and excited for my new job 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi. I’m wondering if anybody can assist me.

4 years ago I was convicted for drunk driving and lost my license for 28 months. It was my one mistake and I’ve tried so hard to make up for what I did.

I’ve recently applied for a job in China and been completely honest with my employers. They have been pretty positive that it won’t affect my visa. However, I’ve sent off for my DBS as they need to read the description of the offence.

Does anybody know how this will be described on a dbs? I’m waiting for my certificate but I’ve been so incredibly anxious!

Drunk driving, disqualified for 28 months, no jail time, 9 months probation, fine.

If anybody can help prepare me for the worst, please 🙏

Thank you

In Scotland it says you were in charge of a vehicle whilst how ever much over the limit in the specimen of breath and which part of the road traffic act it breaches, would imagine it’s similar for England