Daughter-in-law experiences

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a difficult daughter-in-law. Actually I think she's a narcissist. She seems to see me as an enemy. She can be so rude at times and she accused my husband of stealing an item we were storing for her. I would cut contact only I want a relationship with my grandchildren.

Anyone else?

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Not me, but the son of one of my closest friends is having a baby with a lady who my friend cannot get close to, no matter how hard she tries.

I think the bond with mothers and sons is *generally* stronger than that with daughters, which can raise issues on both sides - in that the mother doesn't want to lose her son to another woman (or man), and the new partner wants to cut the apron strings.

I'm sorry for your friend. It's hard. I'm close with all 3 of my adult children in that we've always been able to talk about anything and be honest with each other. My son-in-law and other daughter-in-law are great. You're on the money about the apron strings although he'd been moved out and away and had been engaged to someone else before she came on the scene. She made sure I knew my place!

There have been many issues which I've let go to keep the peace. I will probably have to keep doing that.

Reactions: 1
Just try to think of your sons happiness and trust his judgement. If this woman is making him happy surely that's the most important thing. I think it's important to remember it is their relationship and your relationship with your son is separate. If you get on with her that's great - if not keep it short, sweet and civil and have a relationship with the grandkids.

I am worried about my son's mental health as I'm not sure that he is happy. But yes I will keep in sweet with her.