Customer Toilet Facilities in Jobcentres!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had an information session in my local jobcentre yesterday, there for 90 minutes!
Didn't have a problem being there, always looks good if you're willing to attend etc!
They asked for feedback at the end, as it was the first of its kind, so I think there will be further sessions?
The only thing i forgot to mention is lack of customer toilet facilities, particularly being there for that length of time, and perhaps they could offer a glass of water, again being there that time, is a while to go without a drink?
Just wondering what others thoughts on this are, as I say, don't have an issue attending these appointments, but feel if they are to be a regular thing, then perhaps they need to facilitate these, even just customer toilets?
** To add, the jobcentre I attended didn't have customer toilet facilities **

Reactions: 1
They should offer toilets but they probably dont. I dont expect they will and if their attitudes are the same as they were 20 years ago I suspect you wouldnt get a drink of water unless you had fainted.

Reactions: 5
I think they should offer toilets but I can imagine they don't due to cost reasons and they likelihood of the facilities being abused.

Our job centre is near Wetherspoons . Suppose they should allow a short break to nip along to their toilets.

I think they should offer toilets but I can imagine they don't due to cost reasons and they likelihood of the facilities being abused.

Our job centre is near Wetherspoons . Suppose they should allow a short break to nip along to their toilets.
They did say if we needed a break to let them know, which is fine
---
They should offer toilets but they probably dont. I dont expect they will and if their attitudes are the same as they were 20 years ago I suspect you wouldnt get a drink of water unless you had fainted.
That's very true !
A friend of mine and her partner had a jobcentre appointment a few years ago, they were running late for it, my friends partner had a panic attack so she ran into jobcentre to tell them and asked for some water for him, which they refused!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
They don't offer toilets due to them being abused, drug taking, sexual activity etc. Water I suspect would be for the same reason (Staff dont have cups etc on their desks) as they can be used as a weapon.

Reactions: 7
Am surprised to find out other jobcentres don't offer toilets or water, the one in my small town has toilets plus the water bottle thing with plastic cups in the waiting area an they also have quiet rooms, I had thought this was the norm

I did find it strange they had security walking up an down, is that normal as well? I've only ever been in mine a handful of times

Reactions: 2
Am surprised to find out other jobcentres don't offer toilets or water, the one in my small town has toilets plus the water bottle thing with plastic cups in the waiting area an they also have quiet rooms, I had thought this was the norm

I did find it strange they had security walking up an down, is that normal as well? I've only ever been in mine a handful of times
The toilets at the jobcentre were for the staff
I like the idea of the water bottle, don't have it in the jobcentre I usually attend. There are private rooms that can be used if customers prefer
There are security guards too, although it's quite a small jobcentre so not much walking round to do 😁😁, however the jobcentre I attended my appointment was a former BHS store, so.its massive! The security guards were walking round it, although there weren't many people in there! 😕😕😕

Can definitely say my one has toilets for the public in them, they are right next to the lift up the stairs an me an others have freely used them, but then mines is in a place with nothing else around it so can't nip to a mall or shop etc to use theirs an some appointments can take quite a while, it's nice that they are kept clean as well as I know some public toilets can be a right state 🤢🤢

I will say that if you need the quiet rooms then you have to ask but they are usually fine to just open it up for you, I prefer to use it as I don't like waiting around in busy rooms

My jobcentre doesn't have toilets or drinking facilities, though it's not an issue because I'm usually in and out within 15 mins. They never hold any events or courses there anyway, apart from the odd jobsfare. If there's a course they make you go on, it's usually sourced to an outside provider who has their own venue, or will hire one out, and they'll have toilets and lay on free food and drink as well.

My jobcentre doesn't have toilets or drinking facilities, though it's not an issue because I'm usually in and out within 15 mins. They never hold any events or courses there anyway, apart from the odd jobsfare. If there's a course they make you go on, it's usually sourced to an outside provider who has their own venue, or will hire one out, and they'll have toilets and lay on free food and drink as well.
My usual appointments are just 10 minutes or so, and as you say it's not an issue for me either
The information session I went to wasn't my usual jobcentre, and the session was the first of its kind.
Just kinda thought if they're going to be rolling other sessions out etc, then perhaps even 1 customer toilet might be an idea?

Former DWP staff member here. The office I worked at got rid of public toilets due to druggies shooting up in them and disgruntled customers frequently vandalising them. Same with comfy seating in the waiting rooms, seats would be slashed within a couple of days. We always had security guards.

Reactions: 5
My daughter worked in a job centre. Even the phone was attached to the desk in case it was used as a weapon.
She said that staff never use the lift, touch bannisters and use tissues to open the doors.
I was so glad when she left

Reactions: 6
Former DWP staff member here. The office I worked at got rid of public toilets due to druggies shooting up in them and disgruntled customers frequently vandalising them. Same with comfy seating in the waiting rooms, seats would be slashed within a couple of days. We always had security guards.
This. Same as any organisation frequented by people like that. Not worth the risk or the hassle, and no cleaner should have to deal with that. As usual, a small majority ruining it for everyone else.

Reactions: 3
Not just in job centres- there seems to be no public toilets anywhere now :( Cafes and even some McDonald won't let you use them without a code