Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #43

Masks...

• 1) Definitely a good idea for transportation and retail, I’m on board 👍

Votes: 277 56.0%
  • 1) Bad idea, it’s making an already bad situation worse,

Votes: 46 9.3%
  • 2) I will wear one no questions asked.

Votes: 313 63.2%
  • 2) I will probably try and get away with not wearing one 😆

Votes: 51 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friends kids school has sent out an update and worded it “if” we see you on 3rd September...

If? IF?! 😅😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
SO much for the VAT drop, My regular Maccy D charging £3.39 for a big mac, however they have dropped the price of a Flat White to £1.49, a reduction of 50Pence. Another branch of Maccy D charges £3.09 for a big mac, that's odd, most foods are the same price except at motorway service stations. Coffee is variable in price in Maccy D but it seems now it's at a standard price. Weird!

Reactions: 2
SO much for the VAT drop, My regular Maccy D charging £3.39 for a big mac, however they have dropped the price of a Flat White to £1.49, a reduction of 50Pence. Another branch of Maccy D charges £3.09 for a big mac, that's odd, most foods are the same price except at motorway service stations. Coffee is variable in price in Maccy D but it seems now it's at a standard price. Weird!
We book a hotel for our employees often and they’ve just upped the amount of their net cost so the total is the same
I get why but I thought this was done to get people spending?

Reactions: 4
Can franchises charge what they want within reason? Might be the reason.

Reactions: 5
Can franchises charge what they want within reason? Might be the reason.
They can indeed. They can’t charge an extortionate amount but the variation stated by OP is what you’d expect. The store charging £3.09 is most likely a company owned store. So the VAT drop would be based upon their original pricing rather than being a flat rate for all. Franchises tend to up the pricing on food because that’s where they can make the most money (and it is a lot 😐)

Reactions: 4
Mine are going! Don’t care if nobody is there.... I’ll pick them up at 3.10!
play in the car park kids.... wash your hands in that puddle and see you at 3.10!

I love that you’ve taken on this very important research project 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My friends kids school has sent out an update and worded it “if” we see you on 3rd September...

If? IF?! 😅😂
It's going to be so difficult to prewarn the kids of what's happening as I don't think a lot of schools will know for definite until a week before. It makes it tricky when you have young ones who need lots of time beforehand to get used to going back. Ours have said things can change weekly and they will keep us informed.

Reactions: 3
  • Wow
Reactions: 6

I’ve no idea how true this is, but if it is then it’s absolutely shocking. So somebody who tested positive for covid in April but recovered and then they die in a car crash next week, they will be counted as a covid death? 😳
That is shocking. HOWEVER the study has not been peer reviewed yet, so may be for lack of a better word: fake news.

Reactions: 5

I’ve no idea how true this is, but if it is then it’s absolutely shocking. So somebody who tested positive for covid in April but recovered and then they die in a car crash next week, they will be counted as a covid death? 😳
Only if the virus is still present in their system. I think they changed it a while ago that everyone that had covid on the death cert had to have a lab confirmed result ..

Only if the virus is still present in their system. I think they changed it a while ago that everyone that had covid on the death cert had to have a lab confirmed result ..
By reading the definition of PHE announced deaths on the Gov website, it’s open to interpretation. It doesn’t state the virus still needs to be present in their system, just that the database is checked to see if they have had a confirmed covid swab. So they will have still tested positive at one point, but who knows when that was 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Businesses aren't obliged to pass the VAT cut on. If the product or service they're selling is normally advertised and sold with VAT inclusive - which almost everything in hospitality being sold to ordinary consumers is - then they can keep the gross price the same, pay the reduced price to HMRC, and keep the difference. Perfectly legal.

Whether it's morally right to do that is a different question, some businesses see the extra profit that the VAT cut allows, as part of their Covid recovery.

This is why Wetherspoons and McDonalds have been making a fuss about their price drops this week, because they don't HAVE to drop their prices at all, but have made the choice to do so.

If the item or service is normally advertised and sold with a VAT exclusive price then it would now have to be cheaper under the new VAT rates. There is also a proviso for if something was advertised with words like "* price includes 20% VAT" then it must now be reduced in price to reflect that it now only includes 5% VAT.

Have seen a lot of people on another forum getting all upset because they expected their holiday company to reduce the price they'd previously agreed or give them a refund of part of their deposit because of this. But the holiday companies are technically legal to refuse to refund anything, it all depends exactly how they worded the advert or contract.

Reactions: 8
By reading the definition of PHE announced deaths on the Gov website, it’s open to interpretation. It doesn’t state the virus still needs to be present in their system, just that the database is checked to see if they have had a confirmed covid swab. So they will have still tested positive at one point, but who knows when that was 🤷🏻‍♀️
There was someone on here was an undertaker and their brother a pathologist they said they had to test positive at the time of death if a postmortem had taken place for it to go on the cert, different for people in hospital that had died from it as they mostly didn't require an autopsy 🤷‍♀️

Businesses aren't obliged to pass the VAT cut on. If the product or service they're selling is normally advertised and sold with VAT inclusive - which almost everything in hospitality being sold to ordinary consumers is - then they can keep the gross price the same, pay the reduced price to HMRC, and keep the difference. Perfectly legal.

Whether it's morally right to do that is a different question, some businesses see the extra profit that the VAT cut allows, as part of their Covid recovery.

This is why Wetherspoons and McDonalds have been making a fuss about their price drops this week, because they don't HAVE to drop their prices at all, but have made the choice to do so.

If the item or service is normally advertised and sold with a VAT exclusive price then it would now have to be cheaper under the new VAT rates. There is also a proviso for if something was advertised with words like "* price includes 20% VAT" then it must now be reduced in price to reflect that it now only includes 5% VAT.

Have seen a lot of people on another forum getting all upset because they expected their holiday company to reduce the price they'd previously agreed or give them a refund of part of their deposit because of this. But the holiday companies are technically legal to refuse to refund anything, it all depends exactly how they worded the advert or contract.
I can't really blame them tbh, after over 3 months of no revenue. They'll be trying to recoup those losses 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Mc Donalds VAT drop is a joke I mean who wants a bloody hot drink and a happy meal? but apparently KFC are doing their bargain buckets for £5.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.