Contact lens - dry eyes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering if anyone uses contact lens with dry eyes? My eyes vary sometimes more dry than others, maybe to do with seasons. I use drops but need to get more regular with them.
The optician checked today and didn't say I couldn't use contacts and gave me the free trail. Just wondering if anyone had ordered online before, cheaper than the opticians? (£30pm for dailies)

I've worn contacts before, had laser eye surgery and now my eyes have deteriorated again 😭 can't afford a laser correction unless I win some money so contacts it is (mostly, with glasses as a back up). I just hate wearing glasses so much 😭

Just wondering if anyone uses contact lens with dry eyes? My eyes vary sometimes more dry than others, maybe to do with seasons. I use drops but need to get more regular with them.
The optician checked today and didn't say I couldn't use contacts and gave me the free trail. Just wondering if anyone had ordered online before, cheaper than the opticians? (£30pm for dailies)

I've worn contacts before, had laser eye surgery and now my eyes have deteriorated again 😭 can't afford a laser correction unless I win some money so contacts it is (mostly, with glasses as a back up). I just hate wearing glasses so much 😭
How long ago was your eye surgery? I didn't realise it could deteriorate tbh.
My daughter orders online and has for years. No problems. She gets Acuvue Moist from Lens Store and I think it's about £17 for 30 pairs. She gets very dry eyes too but those lens seem to suit her fine.

How long ago was your eye surgery? I didn't realise it could deteriorate tbh.
My daughter orders online and has for years. No problems. She gets Acuvue Moist from Lens Store and I think it's about £17 for 30 pairs. She gets very dry eyes too but those lens seem to suit her fine.
4 years ago from top up and 5 years from the original. They recommend you wait till you eyes are stable as if not they'll get worse as they would've done if you didn't get it done. I probably should've waited till I was older and they were more stable, although they said it was fine but I was right on the border. They said 6 months of a stable prescription which I just had, I should've waited longer.
Thank you I'll have a look into them, can't order until I go back for the check up and get my prescription anyway

Reactions: 1
I wear contact lenses and have super dry eyes. Someone on another thread recommended Hycosan Extra drops, and when used regularly (i.e. multiple times a day) it helps with my eyesight. So would recommend giving that a go.

I'm on the boots subscription which is getting pricey, so will be keeping an eye (pun not intended) on this thread for recs for cheaper places!

Reactions: 2
I pay £15 a month from Specsavers for lenses you can sleep in and use for 30 days. My eyes are a bit dry when I wake up but I find them so much better than the dailies I used to have

I wear contact lenses and have super dry eyes. Someone on another thread recommended Hycosan Extra drops, and when used regularly (i.e. multiple times a day) it helps with my eyesight. So would recommend giving that a go.

I'm on the boots subscription which is getting pricey, so will be keeping an eye (pun not intended) on this thread for recs for cheaper places!
I do use hycosan I just need to get better at using them regularly though

For dry eyes I was recommended a heated eye mask and it does work. I've temporarily misplaced it when trying to tidy up at one point so do need to find it again...

Are you of peri - menopause age ? Dry eyes is a symptom. My eyes get dry , and the are the same whether I wear glasses or contacts.

Are you of peri - menopause age ? Dry eyes is a symptom. My eyes get dry , and the are the same whether I wear glasses or contacts.
No I'm not. Optician said it's probably from the laser eye surgery however I did have it before I had the laser and I would say it's pretty similar maybe slightly worse. Seem to have flare ups of it being worse at times, optician said probably seasonal

I have dry eyes - when they do the paper test, I get a “bone dry” result.

Acuvue Oasys Dailies are best for me but I have also worn Total 1 dailies and they’re fine. Neither are cheap! I just use Google to find the cheapest store when I need to order new ones.

Use your Hycosan religiously- I keep mine with my toothbrush.

I have dry eyes - when they do the paper test, I get a “bone dry” result.

Acuvue Oasys Dailies are best for me but I have also worn Total 1 dailies and they’re fine. Neither are cheap! I just use Google to find the cheapest store when I need to order new ones.

Use your Hycosan religiously- I keep mine with my toothbrush.
Thank you I just had a look and both are still cheaper than the opticians ☺

I don’t wear contacts but do have dry eyes (woke up one day unable to open my eyes as they were so dry and had to go to a+e. Doctor recommended Boots own brand vitamin A and E eyedrops instead of prescription eye drops) which have been a lifesaver. I’m never without them now- literally feel them absorbing into my eyes! 😝 Whack them in morning and night and no problems since!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend the best drops?

I have dry eyes and have been told no contacts but I’d still like to give them a go for special occasions or hiking lol

I have dry eyes and have been told no contacts but I’d still like to give them a go for special occasions or hiking lol
When I had laser eye surgery the first time and me yes started to get worse quickly again the opticians made me try 3 weeks of hycosan drops to see if the reason was dry eyes. So i assume they are the best as recommended by the opticians (to try and save them money)

• Heart

The main thing is to make sure they’re preservative free. Hycosan Extra and Theoloz Duo are the ones I’ve been told to use. I’d go for Hycosan as they are good with contact lenses.

• Heart
Just echoing multiple other comments in this thread, I use Hycosan Extra too (I think? It has a red label) and that really helps! I really struggle with dry eyes from working at a computer all day so I have a bottle on my desk at work and a bottle at home too.

I also use Hycosan eye drops which were recommended to me by an eye doctor bc he said my eyes were very dry and this brand works very well.
I use the blue 1 during the day and the red 1 at night time.

For contact lenses, I order from visiondirect.ie , they have the best prices!
For actual contacts, I like the Air Optix Night&Day lenses. You can wear them for 30 days without taking them out. I love that I can see straight away when I wake up. They come in a yellow & blue box. They seem to be made from Silicone Hydrogel which allows more oxygen into the eye and so helps stop them drying out. This makes it much better if you have dryer eyes. There is a whole section on VisionDirect for all the contact lens options that are made from silicone hydrogel.

I might ask about the sleep in contacts then since two people on here recommended them. I go back for my dailies appointment in two weeks for the final check up.
Not sure now whether to pay at least for now for the £30 sub since you get the free eye tests. I had to go the hospital as the opticians referred me, turns out no issue but they recommend info back in 6 months for a recheck and rescans at the opticians just to make sure there is no difference.
But I think it'll probably still be cheaper to just pay for the eye test and get dailies online but I'll have to work it out.