Coming off fluoxetine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi,
Long story short, I’m looking to come off my antidepressants.
I went to see my doctor last night and i told her of all the horrible side effects I get from taking them, eg. Sweating, shivers, vivid dreams.
Also I don’t feel like they are really helping in terms of improving my mood.
This is the last type of antidepressants I can try so she suggested upping the dose to 40mg.
I’ve come away and actually realised that’s not what I want, I want to try and see how I’d manage without.
My life is much more stable & I’m in a better place than where I was at the beginning of the year, I feel it’s been down to a lot of hard work from myself. Not just the tablets.
I’d like to see what others had to do when they were coming off theirs?

I know it’s dangerous to do this without a doctors permission so I will be calling and booking in to see her again asap.

I just want to see how others coped coming off them and if it’s a good idea or not.

Oh gosh, where to start? I'm addicted to my antidepressants, unfortunately. I've been on them almost continuously since 1996.

I've tried several times to come off them, with no success so I came to the conclusion it was probably best for me to just stay on them, the lesser of two evils if you like.

Whatever you do, don't try and do it alone. You will definitely need the support of your GP as you'll have to taper them off very slowly.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2
Yeh start a reduction program if you want to come off them.
Is your mood improved? Maybe think about a different one to try.

I came off fluoxetine and didn't get any withdrawals. They weren't working for me any more so I just stopped them (I should know better really cos I work in healthcare). I also thought I could manage without anything but I really couldn't. I'm on citalopram now instead.

You gradually cut back, so every other day then, every two days and then eventually stop altogether. I never had any problems withdrawing from them.

Reactions: 2
I come off mine, hated the side effects I got an found that when I come off them I actually felt ten times worse than what I used to feel so I was on an off for years, in the end I decided to stay off an changed my diet an took up doing some yt videos in the morning like yoga or low intensity work outs, found that although my mood can still dip it's no where near as bad as what it was when I was off them but hadn't changed my diet or was doing anything

It can take quite a while to come off them an you might feel like it wasn't the right decision but I'd say give it a good few months an see how you feel because the first little while with being off them can feel like a mistake

Reactions: 1
Hi, me again.
hoping to refresh the thread.
So I’m still taking the 40mg of fluoxetine, I am keen to come off them bur I’m just not sure Il be able to cope without a little help.
I might try citalopram again…

I had some bloods done last week as i keep feeling cold all the time, achy bones, fatigued, thinning hair, dry scalp.
it all pointed towards a thyroid issue but my bloods have come back absolutely fine, just low vitamin D levels, but it doesn’t explain why I’m feeling like this.

anyway, I’m just wondering if this is symptoms others have had while taking the fluoxetine?

Hi, me again.
So I’m still taking the 40mg of fluoxetine, I am keen to come off them bur I’m just not sure Il be able to cope without a little help.

I had some bloods done last week as i keep feeling cold all the time, achy bones, fatigued, thinning hair, dry scalp.
it all pointed towards a thyroid issue but my bloods have come back absolutely fine, just low vitamin D levels, but it doesn’t explain why I’m feeling like this.

anyway, I’m just wondering if this is symptoms others have had while taking the fluoxetine?
Low Vitamin D can cause all those symptoms, try a high dose around 3000iu, better you do a once a day spray and its marvellous. See if that makes a difference

Low Vitamin D can cause all those symptoms, try a high dose around 3000iu, better you do a once a day spray and its marvellous. See if that makes a difference
I didn’t realise you could get a spray, I’ve got tablets but only like 25 I think?
it says high strength on the bottle.
I think I might try the spray, thank you 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I didn’t realise you could get a spray, I’ve got tablets but only like 25 I think?
it says high strength on the bottle.
I think I might try the spray, thank you 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Yes it's by a company called Better You. Its just one spray under the tongue every morning, I had bloods for my vit d level last year and they are really high so the spray definitely works, Holland and Barrat sell it.

Hi, me again.

Low vitamin D had me feeling like that. Make sure you're taking supplements.

I didn't have it whilst on fluoxetine though.

Yes it's by a company called Better You. Its just one spray under the tongue every morning, I had bloods for my vit d level last year and they are really high so the spray definitely works, Holland and Barrat sell it.
Ok that’s great, thank you, il give it a go!
---
Low vitamin D had me feeling like that. Make sure you're taking supplements.

I didn't have it whilst on fluoxetine though.
Ok that makes me feel better knowing low vit D can do this to me.
I will hopefully be able to have my bloods rechecked in a couple of months to see if the levels have come up, but I’m also hoping I can feel the benefits physically sooner rather than later.

Ok that’s great, thank you, il give it a go!
---

Ok that makes me feel better knowing low vit D can do this to me.
I will hopefully be able to have my bloods rechecked in a couple of months to see if the levels have come up, but I’m also hoping I can feel the benefits physically sooner rather than later.
Get some very high-strength supplements initially and then bring it down to a normal daily dose.
I got them on prescription not sure if that's a requirement but I started on 50,000 for 6 weeks and I did feel better after the first 3-4.

Get some very high-strength supplements initially and then bring it down to a normal daily dose.
I got them on prescription not sure if that's a requirement but I started on 50,000 for 6 weeks and I did feel better after the first 3-4.
what were your levels to require a dose that high? Mines 32, so not dangerously low but I don’t really want to overdose accidentally.

Gps tend to be dumb about tapering, you need to do it VERY VERY slow.
Depending on the dose and length of time you have been on them.
Eg. On 40, go to 30 for a month, then 20 for a month, then 10, then 10 every other day.
Get some pill cutters or ask gp for smaller doses.
Lots of vitamins and omega supplements to help.

There are groups on fb “Prozac or whatever the brand name is of your ssri and join. Lots of info on them.
Prepare for side effects, do not go down again until they have settled. Brain zaps, crying, headache, fluey.
If late 30s early 40s woman look into peri menopause too.

Good luck!