Collecting and collectors

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I unexpectedly became a collector recently after always never understanding why people collect things :LOL:
First of all is my vintage/unique cup/mug collection which stays unused unless I get special visitors :ROFLMAO:
I only buy from charity shops which have the best ones anyway.
Also after recently going through my change and finding some commemorative coins I started looking out for them when I receive any coins. I actually get excited when I realise I've got one ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
Now I get why people collect, it can be thrilling โ˜บ
Anyone else collect? How did you begin? Did you just start with one and it grew or made a choice to start? and what do you collect?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Count me in piff paff, when I was at school it was the football sticker albums, beer mats too.
Got older & it was football shirts/scarves, the more unusual or obscure the better, I still have around 60 football shirts stored away, the scarves I gave to a neighbour's kid years ago.
Then it was banknotes/currency from various World countries (I have 7 binders of banknotes)
I also collect watches, not super expensive ones to attempt to make money on, just affordables that I wear & enjoy.

I need help.๐Ÿ˜

Reactions: 1
Count me in piff paff, when I was at school it was the football sticker albums, beer mats too.
Got older & it was football shirts/scarves, the more unusual or obscure the better, I still have around 60 football shirts stored away, the scarves I gave to a neighbour's kid years ago.
Then it was banknotes/currency from various World countries (I have 7 binders of banknotes)
I also collect watches, not super expensive ones to attempt to make money on, just affordables that I wear & enjoy.

I need help.๐Ÿ˜
Wow! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
how fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the nostalgia is quite a nice part of some collections isn't it? They inevitably become part of your life history.

Reactions: 1
I have started collecting F1 related things. So far starting with mini helmets, and some models of cars. But Christ, I couldn't have picked a more expensive thing to collect. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† So expensive.

Reactions: 2
Wow! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
how fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the nostalgia is quite a nice part of some collections isn't it? They inevitably become part of your life history.
Yes, no idea what it is that makes a person collect anything, but it is enjoyable as long as we don't end up bankrupt, or on one of those Super Hoarder tv shows ๐Ÿ˜
Very true what you say about a collection becoming a part of your own life story, my wife maybe thinks otherwise though lol
---
I have started collecting F1 related things. So far starting with mini helmets, and some models of cars. But Christ, I couldn't have picked a more expensive thing to collect. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† So expensive.
You have a wide scope for collecting F1 stuff, must be some amazing things out there going back to it's beginnings, until the present day.

Yes, no idea what it is that makes a person collect anything, but it is enjoyable as long as we don't end up bankrupt, or on one of those Super Hoarder tv shows ๐Ÿ˜
Very true what you say about a collection becoming a part of your own life story, my wife maybe thinks otherwise though lol
---

You have a wide scope for collecting F1 stuff, must be some amazing things out there going back to it's beginnings, until the present day.
Yeah, I'm sticking to mostly modern stuff at the moment, but I'm not opposed to widening it to older stuff as time goes on. It's one of those things that the wider I spread what I'm willing to collect the more and more there is. It's overwhelming

• Heart
I collect vintage coloured glassware. I have a fitted room divider between the snug and the dining room that consists of open shelving through to both rooms. The glassware is on the shelves and on sunny days it shines through from the dining room into the snug filling it with colours. Iโ€™ve everything from carnival to uranium glass, with most pieces being at least 100 years old.

Reactions: 6
I've started collecting a set of Royal Copenhagen plates. My eventual aim is to be able to create a wall display of them, although probably not in this house as I'm not sure where we'd put them, so it's a longer term collection for when we eventually move out of central London and to somewhere with a bit more wall space! Loving the process though and the fact that eventually we'll have them ready to go onto a wall.

Hope it is ok to share a few of my favourite banknotes, bought for their artwork or historic interest.
I like to think of the hands/people that these have passed through during a historic time.
2 from French Revolutionary era 1792
20230903_153218.jpg

20230903_153145.jpg

WW2 Great Britain ยฃ1, normally these were traditional green print on white but to combat Nazi Germany counterfeits flooding Britain, the Bank of England issued Emergency notes in pink/blue
20230903_152953.jpg

Yugoslavia 1929, 100 Dinara, I loved the beautiful artwork on this note, the sitting woman is 'Serbia' with a view of Belgrade in the background.
20230903_154444.jpg

20230903_154503.jpg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Hope it is ok to share a few of my favourite banknotes, bought for their artwork or historic interest.
I like to think of the hands/people that these have passed through during a historic time.
2 from French Revolutionary era 1792
View attachment 2423462
View attachment 2423468
WW2 Great Britain ยฃ1, normally these were traditional green print on white but to combat Nazi Germany counterfeits flooding Britain, the Bank of England issued Emergency notes in pink/blue
View attachment 2423483
Yugoslavia 1929, 100 Dinara, I loved the beautiful artwork on this note, the sitting woman is 'Serbia' with a view of Belgrade in the background.
View attachment 2423493
View attachment 2423496
Very cool!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have a little stamp collection! I went through a phase of buying them when I went to the post office, but havenโ€™t done so for a few years now, canโ€™t afford to.

I have always collected from a young age and still do currently, its vintage glass murano, chance, carnival etc, my husbands is native american memorabilia
We have also started to collect things from our birth years too, and I'm started to collect things that remind me of growing up and family that's no longer with us I recently collected the set of recipe soup bowls that had the recipes on them from the 80s I think, I always rember my grandad using them when I was growing up They are currently sitting on my kitchen window sill with faux plants in them
We go car boots charity shops and antiques fairs regularly it's amazing what you can find

• Heart
Reactions: 4