Cleaning at end of tenancy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking for a bit of advice as I’m moving out of my flat in a few weeks and was wondering what’s the norm/custom for cleaning before moving out? The lease doesn’t say it has to be professionally cleaned - just that it has to be clean - and my landlord said the same thing when I asked (we’re on good terms but he’s living abroad). I have a cleaner that comes every week for a couple of hours anyway and she said she doesn’t do ‘deep cleans’ so can’t help.

When I've had bad experiences with the agency etc then I've just got it professionally cleaned so I have a receipt and they can't really hold my deposit against me.
When I had a landlord I just cleaned it really well and took photos as proof afterwards.

Reactions: 3
I think more recently there’s been some kind of law passed that you don’t have to have it professionally cleaned, you just have to leave it in the state you started the tenancy in. But that’s not to say some landlords aren’t testing that and refusing to give back deposits or asking for money. My friend is in a situation where they did the cleaning themselves and they’ve received a bill of a few hundred from the landlord despite them leaving it in a better state than they received it. At the moment they’re hoping that the check in report and pictures can help resolve the issue.

Reactions: 2
I do think it's worthwhile spending £200 on a professional clean (if that's what it costs these days?) With someone who comes in and uses all the harsh chemicals. Then you show them the invoice if they try to claim it wasn't clean.

I've done the whole cleaning it yourself into a better state than when I moved in, and still got stung.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just clean it yourself, don't bother paying for professional cleaners. The landlord more than likely won't appreciate the latter and still might try to sting you saying something isn't clean enough.

Reactions: 7
I had my mum and sister round, and we spent a few hours deep cleaning it ourselves. I made sure to take plenty of pictures and videos when we left, and walked around with the person I was handing the keys back to so he could see how clean it was.

Reactions: 4
I would just do a normal spring clean thats what we have always done and never had a problem in the last 14 years we have been private renting. I wouldn't pay for a professional except maybe the cooker.
We did have one estate agent who sent us a letter after we handed in the notice saying we had to get the carpets professionally cleaned we didnt we borrowed one of those hoover things out of morrisons znd they knew none the wiser.
Definitely takes photos or video as evidence too.

Just do the clean yourself and take photos of everything when you're done.

I’ve always cleaned everything just before. Also take pictures when you leave and move in so they can’t try to get anything extra from your deposit. I’ve rented for 8+ years.

My grandfather was also a landlord over the years and I know he was an absolute f****r when people were leaving so don’t trust anyone.

Reactions: 1
A big deep clean should do the job. And take pictures after you’ve cleaned it so you don’t get the piss taken out of you.
We recently moved out and our landlords were assholes (to all tenants in our building) & the agency they used tried to nitpick but luckily I took pictures of everything on check in & out so they couldn’t charge us as much.

Reactions: 1
Luckily landlords can’t get away with this tit in Scotland, you have to have an independent itinerary done before move in and check out, then if there is any disputes it’s another independent party that deals with it, difficult for landlords to charge for anything that isn’t legit

I knackered myself cleaning my flat before I moved into my own house. Had some right hole from the agency come round to pick up the keys and went around the whole flat running his fingers across surfaces saying this or that isn't clean enough. HAd £100 deducted off my deposit for what was probably another 20 minutes worth of cleaning

• Heart
My friend was married to a squaddie and had army quarters. When you leave they go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Two of us over and helped her clean the place before she moved out, took us all day, and got a grudging “aye, it will do I suppose”
They bulldozed it flat the next day.

• Wow
  • Haha